• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 6900F150

VA524

Jun 25, 2011
I know these are not considered HF Rigs, at least not in the same breath as a Kenwood, but I have a few questions about mine if anyone can help.
Got it installed the other day. Burned up 2 brand new "Lil Wil" antennas until I changed to a "Wilson 5000" now the antenna issue is resolved.
Now I noticed the side band signal does not disapate like a normal side band radio. The signal/power fades away slowly, not instantly like other radios do when you stop speaking. Also, the radio rf meter slams to full scale and stays there. It does not move with the sound of your voice. So far the only reports I get are good as far as audio goes. Any ideas???
Another issue is the transmit drift. There was no owners manual in the box with the radio. Found one online but it does not cover any of the mods done to the radio. I have found that on my radio at least the coarse tune adjusts the transmit frequency and the fine tune just the receive. So I tune up before I transmit and center my transmit, the adjust the fine to bring in off center stations. Is this the way they all work.
Lastly, I made a plastic bracket for the radio so it would be up high and at my disposal in the car more readily. The amp heat sink was touching the plastic. When I was DXing with a station, I smelled plastic burning. Do they always get so hot????
Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Robin

I wouldnt run it full bore.I never run anything full bore.The heat sink will get hot,it doent have a fan that i know of.The 2970dx is a radio with the heat sink,not sure of the 6900....73s sorry couldnt help,de JW

Thanks

After some time on the radio, I found that keeping it back off slightly kept it cooler. So that is the way to run it. The Wilson 5000 has no problems handling what this radio gives out and did a great job on the receive.

Those radios will drift - no easy fix. As far as the power application and back off that delay is common in high power radios when they get over tuned, at least from what I've seen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.