• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950

It just requires replacment of 2 bulbs, one on each side of the display. They are soldered onto the display board, and each bulb has an orange rubber "boot" that slides over it. Easy fix!

~Cheers~

Yeah but there are two bulbs, one on each side. If they both went out at the same time then it's likely something else in the circuit went out.

The double row push buttons are lit independently. Are your buttons still lit or it the whole front dark now?

Yeah but there are two bulbs, one on each side. If they both went out at the same time then it's likely something else in the circuit went out.

The double row push buttons are lit independently. Are your buttons still lit or it the whole front dark now?

The double row of push buttons are all lit and they dim when I push the dim control. Only the amber backlights are affected. Where can I buy the correct bulbs with the rubber grommet ?
Thanks for the replies !

3's

The double row of push buttons are all lit and they dim when I push the dim control. Only the amber backlights are affected. Where can I buy the correct bulbs with the rubber grommet ?
Thanks for the replies !

3's

Yeah....but did the display blubs both go out at the same time? If they did, then something else besides the bulbs themselves went out. A resistor or something. Or a solder joint went cold.

These display assemblies are not the easiest things to work on and you must exercise great care.

If you just go and change the bulbs and they still don't work you will be mad !!

I did have bad bulbs on a 2970 and I replaced them with orange LEDS. I stayed with orange as I liked the look but they could be changed to any color.

I forget what voltage the factory incandescent bulbs run on. May be 12volts. You can easily find that out by checking what voltage is on the bulbs leads with the radio turned on and with a DC volt meter. If there is NO voltage across the bulbs, then as mentioned before, the problem is somewhere else.

If bulbs are bad and you want to go back with incandescents, Radio Shack should have them or any electronics parts house like Mouser or Digikey or any decent CB repair shop should have a bin full of them.

I buy LEDs from eBay. You'll need appropriate resistors to go with them depending on the color you use. different color LEDs tend to operate on different forward voltages and therefore need a resistor matched to the their operating voltage.

Then you may have to have a qualified tech look at it.

Good luck

Yes the display bulbs both went at the same time. So first check for voltage at the pins of the bulbs then backtrack from there. First I'll shop for some bulbs. As a matter of fact the bulbs went simultaneously when a sharp smack was delivered to the side of the radio by one of my youngun's. Cold solder joint may be the culprit.
Thanks !!!

3's

The bulbs *WILL* go out at the same time because they are wired in series, just like the older christmas light sets, if one goes out they both will go out. (this does not include the LEDs for the push button backlighting, just the actual bulbs for the display.

So... you can replace one, whichever one is the bad one and this can be checked with a multimeter, but best to replace both at the same time to avoid the problem in the near future.

I got a new rci2950dx from copper and it had a 40 wtt carrier on all modes,sent it off to rci and had it back in the same week...very good return service.1st bad 2950 i ever had...must of had 6 or 7...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.