• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950dx or Lincoln II v3/+ for first 10m??

Alinco DX-70TH 100W HF + 6M w/tone
Here is a very nice Alinco DX-70TH which is the high power (100W) on HF & 6M version with the DIP switch selectable tones for easy repeater access.
Looks and works fine. More pics available. Comes with the matching hand mike and APP connectors for 12V DC input. $385 shipped in the 48.
Listing #1323519 - Submitted on 04/24/17 by Callsign K3ICH - IP: 184.20.157.134
1323519.jpg

Posted on QTH.com

Kenwood TS-830S Very nice condition
Kenwood TS-830S Very nice condition, original box and manual. Work FB, full output, excellent receiver sensitivity. Too many rigs here. $450 Shipped CONUS. Paypal OK.
Listing #1323504 - Submitted on 04/24/17 by Callsign W1MBB - IP: c-76-18-12-5.hsd1.fl.comcast.net

1323504.jpg

Kenwood TS-440SAT
Very Clean-Non Smoker
Tuner & Radio work 100%
"Dots" are Eliminated
10Hz,60M,Mars Mods DONE
Comes w/Mike, Manual,
and DC Power Cord
$435 Fedex conUSA
Listing #1323302 - Submitted on 04/23/17 by Callsign N5NGC, Modified on 04/24/17 - IP:

FT-450D
Up for grabs is my FT-450D which was recently purchased. Original owner said it was six months old.. everything works as it should from non smoking home. I played with it it jt65, CW as well as some ssb contacts with good reports. Comes with box, manual, mic and power cord. I'm keeping to my original plan before this distraction came along and going to try an Icom 7200 so this has to go. Price is $575.00 o.b.o shipped and insured to lower 48. I accept PayPal or postal MO.
See it work in link below:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcSDU6zM_UZQdV6yhHYiuQn-AAxiv3i9h
Listing #1322242 - Submitted on 04/16/17 by Callsign KF9UB, Modified on 04/23/17 - IP: c-24-12-198-170.hsd1.in.comcast.net

1322242.jpg

Just a few suggestions...all good rigs...close to your range...
AND BETTER than any Ranger/RCI...
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: BBB
Depends on how tight the designers wound the ALC circuit (n) and if you can even bypass it.
Haven't yet used a HF rig that didn't modulate up to 100 watts on AM…Kenwoods, Icoms, and Alinco's. All the newer ones advertise 25 watts for 100 watt models or 50 watts for the 200 watt ones. Again, deadkey.

I was just clarifying what you said that most HF rigs are 25 watts on AM which could be interpreted as that's all the output wattage. I'm going to assume you knew that before hand.

Just want opinions on 10m. Pondering HF full rig later in year. Just got married and expecting.
10 meters for the most part is a dead band for the next few years so don't limit yourself to it. If you have a budget of $300 you can get into a decent older rig that will run circles around the rigs you mentioned. I completely understand not having money to play with but for what you would spend on those you can get way better. Just some food for thought...

Reactions: camaro1
Used Kenwood TS590S if you can save up, Kenwood TS480, Yaesu FT450D, Yaesu FT757, Icom 7400 etc. Don't piss about getting 10m only sets when you can get a HF set for not much more. 10m sets are just CB sets with the accompanying piss poor performance and lack of functionality compared to an amateur HF set.

You've got General which gives you access to several HF bands far more filled with activity and DX than 10m which is pretty much done for for the next couple of years so get a radio that covers them. Make dipoles for your antennas.

No way! First they will all be double the price that is beyond "Save up a little bit longer.....blah blah" it is like a guy asking about a new Mustang and you tell him to save up a bit more Mercedes AMG.......First any of those radio's in good shape that need no work will demand top dollar for a used radio with no warranty and in the 590's case full of obsolete parts. Second most of them have been modified and owned by many different people.

The RCI2950DX gives him 24-29 which is far more than 10m only if he buys from someone not selling to Amateurs that is fully modifiable AM/FM/CW/SSB Split Function etc....If he shops around he can get on from $229-$289 new with warranty that needs nothing out of the box. As I understand it the Lincoln II has even broader coverage. My Optima cover's from 24-29 continuous and has a narrow selctable IF filter.

It only takes one blown cap, diode or resistor to take out an obsolete CPU/PLL and than you have a boat anchor. The old stuff is fine if you do not need it to work out of the box and have the time to go through it and replace caps and anything else.

What is next maybe he should get a Drake or a Swan and VFO instead of a RCI2950DX.

What ever you do just make sure you do not buy your RCI2950 from a place like RF Parts or AES etc....You want one that can be modified.

I swear most amateurs are like Archie Bunker from the 1970's. In fact they are so small minded just recall the Swan Siltronix issue long ago caused by small minded hate monger/bigots....You will even hear people sing the praises of the Swan while putting down the Siltronic 1011D Comanche in the same paragraph even though they are identical inside. Owning one is ok but owning the other is shameful! LOL What ever you do do not ask about the Imax 2000 with out ground plane they will tell you to get an antenna that cost 10X as much I am sure. Old Drake tube radio set's they love so much could nto pass an FCC spurious emission test today to save their life.

Between them(RCI2950/President Lincoln) there is a HUGE difference in the footprint. The RCI is a huge old school chassis and President Lincoln II is much much smaller and can be massaged into more vehicles with ease I would think.

When your talking to amateur just do not tell them what your talking on or they will automatically judge you and apply their hate monger and bigotry to you instantly! Their ears can hear a difference based on price tag alone! LOL The fact that people in the hobby can justify the existance of a $14K radio ICOM 7851 tells you all you need to know about the existence of people with more money than brains in the hobby!

Reactions: Alain Theriault
Onelastime.. I agree with you.

I don't want used.. No warranty..

I've even considered the Optima MK3 from Yeticom.. Got a quote for $318 shipped..

One dealer has Lincoln + with export mod done for $285 and free shipping.. Or BellsCB in the same price range..

The newer v3 + model seems to have cleaner receive then the v3 model..

If I had $500 I would get the Alinco SRT8 at least that's new..

I thought all the new DX models were the latest and all came with the plug/echip?? Anyone have a lead on a good place that includes the echip for around $250?? Rather stay below $300 total if possible if I went with the RCI..

This is important not only for your use but also for resale value, there's not much market for 2950's that can't be opened up.

Some dealers have been known to take the chips out of the box if you don't pay them to do the conversion, also there may still be some older ones gathering dust on dealer shelves out there.

Added on edit: I seem to remember something about a dot sticker used to mark the boxes of ham only radios but I'm not sure of the details, can anybody shed some light on this?

Last edited:
Cheapest I see is $289 from mind connection. They say the chip comes with it..

$229 for Lincoln v3 and $284 (includes mod installed) for v3 plus is still looking like a better deal IMO. Both ship free.

Onelastime.. I agree with you......

Well, I really don't know where to start, sooooo, I'll just say this.

there are many Amateurs on this forum that have both advanced class licenses and years of experience.

This forum is NOT a typical radio forum in that there is little to no "looking down" on Cbers, UNLESS,................someone gets on here and says DUMB SHIT.:D

The poster you just agreed with, fits that category;).

I'll go cook the popcorn

Warranty is important.

A ham selling a used rig even 30 miles away isn't exactly easy deal with if I buy a used radio and it craps after say 20 days I don't think. He'll remind me its old and not new..

If you want to warranty anything used I may buy.. You can. But I don't think you will.

The question remains between the 2 radios, not HF rigs out of my $300 max .

I swear most amateurs are like Archie Bunker from the 1970's. In fact they are so small minded just recall the Swan Siltronix issue long ago caused by small minded hate monger/bigots....You will even hear people sing the praises of the Swan while putting down the Siltronic 1011D Comanche in the same paragraph even though they are identical inside. Owning one is ok but owning the other is shameful! LOL What ever you do do not ask about the Imax 2000 with out ground plane they will tell you to get an antenna that cost 10X as much I am sure. Old Drake tube radio set's they love so much could nto pass an FCC spurious emission test today to save their life.

When your talking to amateur just do not tell them what your talking on or they will automatically judge you and apply their hate monger and bigotry to you instantly! Their ears can hear a difference based on price tag alone! LOL The fact that people in the hobby can justify the existance of a $14K radio ICOM 7851 tells you all you need to know about the existence of people with more money than brains in the hobby!

Ummm yea that's right. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated