• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970n2 Problems

KD8HMO

Aug 3, 2008
Kalida, Ohio
www.protrucker.net
Hi guys,

I just purchased a new - in - box RCI 2970n2 to use for 10 meters in my truck. It turns out that it is old stock from 2012. Turns out that it seems to be one of those that was delivered with everything set too high. This radio was drawing over 50 amps, with about 150 watt dead key. The amp gate voltages were set at almost 6. I had a shop turn them down to 3.8v and now the deadkey is about 90 watts with almost 200 watt peaks on am and ssb. If I turn up the AMC pot to about 100%, the radio will still draw over 40 amps and kill my big MFJ power supply. I am getting many different answers about the gate voltages. If I want to have a 100 watt deadkey, as what the stock specs say, what should the gave voltages be? The spec sheet for those mosfets say no more than 4 volts, some techs say 6 volts is ok if in tandem. If anyone could send me the service manual or alignment instructions, I would really appreciate the help.

Ranger has alignment info on their website, go have a gander. If you can, let us know where it came from so we can avoid that shop or dealer.

If it is new; then just send it in to Ranger and have those pros handle it.
I would . . .

I have talked to the guy at radiosupply.com about an RMA. I got one, but the radio didn't have the RCI seals on the case when I bought it. So warranty coverage may not apply. If they wont cover it, then he wants $80 to straighten it out. I find it interesting that Ranger allowed these radios to ship out like this. And there is no service manual available for it. I think for $550, They could do better...

I bought it from the CB shop at the T/A truckstop in Wytheville, VA. The radio was sold to me as new, out of box stock. I found out later after I talked to Ranger that it was 2012 vintage, but never sold. It most likely was one of those that came with everything turned up and set wrong. This radio was drawing well over 50 amps right out of the box.

The warranty seals missing are no problem. I have sent many a radio with broken seals (but your case may be different). They'll bring it back within factory specs and you should be happy.

I agree with Robb...

If you have your receipt you should be golden. Stop calling Chip with all your technical questions. He might think your fingering with it.

Reactions: Robb
Im going to send it in shortly. Im here just wondering what the factory specs are supposed to be. Im curious to know what the amp gate voltages should be set at for a 100w dead key. The Galaxy 98VHP specs say 4 volts and 65w deadkey.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.