• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970N2 RF Power

Jan 1, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone. I got a question about where RF output power should be approx on the 2970n2. On am, I've got it at 10 watts low power and about 80 watts on high. On SSB however, the low power and high power are pretty much the same except for 50 watts difference on low then on high power. On SSB, max output power I get on a whistle is about 230 watts. I bought the radio new like this. Is there a way to turn down the SSB power when on low power then if I want more power, I can just turn up the RF dial on the radio? Just curious.. Thanks

On ssb , there should be no power going out until you speak. To measure power on SSB, you need a watt meter that shows both average and PEP, peak envelope power. 230 watts on average reading meter is about right for an out of box n2. Dead key on AM should be between 70 and no more than 100.

https://www.copper.com/cart/product/product&product_id=341

There is variable power out, can not remember if it worked on SSB.

The mosfets need to have proper gate voltages on them or the smoke escapes and no more output.

I have heard claims of the N2 doing 500 watts,,but not for long especially if some golden screw driver has went in to it turning VR adjusting for max smoke.

With proper alignment, proper voltage settings the radio works well,, I was seeing around 200 watts PEP output on SSB and slightly more on AM mode.
Heat sink tends to get warm, you may want some external cooling fans on it if you tend to get long winded.
A watt is a watt,, avg or PEP,,

Reactions: DXman
My N2 (1st verson) does 225 on ssb modulating (I never check a radio using a whistle) and low side is around 165 watts.
On Am it does around 275 on high and down to around 225 on low (this again with modulation only).

I don't remember right now what the DK is Am, for I don't use the radio much anymore, it only goes on line when there is some "exotic" DX that I may need to make contact with. I think I used it about 15 hrs in the last 2 yrs.

I am using a Pyramid 35 amp PS to run the radio and it draws a max of 24 amps at full output. But I keep it down to 200 so it doesn't draw as much.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.