• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-29XX Question?

curlyjo

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Southern Calidornia
I got a non op 2970dx in a trade. Took it to my Tech and he reset it and it has been working ever since. The orginal owner bought and had it set up by Bill Goode. It was used as à mobile in big trucks. I have been useing this for my base for over a year with à Astactic 636. Never got a bad report from anyone other than they say it's à little High on SSB. To compasate for it I tune it down a click on the VFO. Talked to another local and he said his 2970n2 acts the same way. For example 28.4000=28.3999 or 28.420=28.3999. Is it a CPU problem? Can it be fixed? Should I Just live with it. Does anyone know what is really going on with it. I like this radio alot. 73's.

Last edited:

I have heard from one guy that my 2985 was 1 off and I should use for instance. 27.3851 instead of 27.3850. He said it "sounded" better. But then I thought, what does he know? Maybe his radio is recieving one off? I don't worry about it. Personally, I feel if you keep turning it to transmit one off, it might end up burning in to that one off position. LOL

Most people just shift up or down that last number. If you do alot of talking that heats the radio up or live in a winter weather area it happens. The RCI radio's are about as stable as they can be on SSB. If it bugs you ya can send it in for a frequency alignment. Your call I guess.

Just run it that is what the shifrt is for anyways ;) Thats the only problem with some of the 6 digit displays a 5 digit doesnt show that last digit or number so you never worry about it not reading exact but some people are just over the top with an O.C.D. with that last digit.

Cant it be adjustes?? Why certainly it can but if you had to pay someone to do it its not worth that little change. I do all my own so its no big deal but if I bought a radio that was off that little who care the guy on the other end cant see your frequency display and would never know the diffrence so the operator doesnt have to worry either.

Aslong as you sound good on on frequency thats all that matters ;)

just unlock the clarifier,, much easier to tune in than having to push shift several times , then shift again several times to change channels. and you know what your hearing is what your transmitting

just unlock the clarifier,, much easier to tune in than having to push shift several times , then shift again several times to change channels. and you know what your hearing is what your transmitting

An RCI 50/70 would be a radio I would not have the clarifier un-locked. Super stable and they have it covered with the shift feature. Not necessary to unlock it.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for all the replys. More are encourage. I will not unlock this radio. Just did not know if the freq display could be brought inline? If it was worth the hassle? The radio works fine. Just have to tune it down one click.

I ditto what the others have said. The RCI29xx series features the Split operation function as mentioned in an earlier post and can easily resolve the issue you are experiencing.

Our local group is more conciencious about how each of us sound to each other so we aren't tuning the Clarifier each time someone else talks. For my rig, I RX on 27.385.00 and TX on 27.349.99.

Enjoy the Rig and happy DX!

Here on my end I have to run most of my radios at the 49 not 50 because my locals say on 50 I am off frequency. Had 3 different radios aligned by 3 different shops and my local guy says I am off frequency, I would have to think what ever he is using is off but he won't hear any of that he says he is correct and that's it.

It's always a shock when I meet people live, that I know from the radio, and they don't talk like Donald Duck raised in Mississippi.

Reactions: 1 person
LOL, yeah, I can't count all the people I have heard online telling some big radio he was going "Shut Him Down". Amazing how many nut jobs flock to CB. ;)

Just last night I'm on 27.395 lower side having a qso with a local and some nut is talking skip using a roger beep. I tried to explain that on SSB most of the guys don't use them because they are annoying. He said I was jealous because my radio didn't have one. What an idiot. Guess radio manners are just a thing of the past on 11 meters. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated