• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RECAPPING OLDER RADIO'S

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I was always of the opinion "if it ain't Broke don't fix it. My sonar 2340's (3) were sitting for almost 30 years. I hooked one up and began using it. It's the only one out of the three I own that is 100% stock. It transmitted fine and I thought the recive sounded fine. I finally found one of the other 2 that have the audio clipper board bypassed and couldn't wait to use it. I plugged it in and emedietly noticed the pll out of lock decimal. No receive or transmittt. I found s gentleman through a friend. This guy repairs old tube radio's. I sent it to him for the alignment. He also replaced the old axial type capacitors with new one. He left the old ones in and wired the new one's under the old stranger value one's. He re attached the tvi trap (first owner bypassed) added three new tubes four new feet and cleaned it up. $211 later and wow! The differance between the one with the original caps sounds awful. It accually transmittt ok but the receive compaired to the recapped on is not even in the ball park. If I didn't need the alignment i would've never known any better. I will be sending him one radio at a time for recap and what even else needs to be done. He got the radio on Friday finished it Saturday and 4 days later it's back and on the air. It screams and the receive is the way I recall it to be 30+ years ago. Awesome! I will be recapping my madison. I didn't think it needed to be recapped but im sure it will perform much better than it does and it works well already. Im sure the difference will be noticeable . This gentleman works on amps all kinds many nos Palomar parts. Also work on all . Transistorized rigs ham and cb. I was so impressed with his work and knowledge. He also restores old s/w radios. I will post his contract info soon. If anyone wants his information before I post it pm me and I'll give it to you. Trams sonar Browning Lafayette president uniden yaesu ect ect ect. I've been looking for an old trimmer tec for the longest time. Thanks baldpa.

When purchasing a vintage radio, should one always have it recapped and aligned even if it is NOS or in mint condition?

When purchasing a vintage radio, should one always have it recapped and aligned even if it is NOS or in mint condition?
A radio over 20 years old is something to consider doing if you plan on using it regularly. Caps dry out then funny things start happening.

My old HR2600's are over 20 years old and are starting to act up. I'm going to consider recapping or selling them to someone who wants to restore them.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
How about this. If you do decide to rebuild your classic CB radio; then I would strongly consider replacing the electrolytic caps. Save all of these old caps you take out and put them in a cup. Then go thru and test them all with an ESR tester. Keep notes and review it afterwards. Never seen a 30 y.o. radio yet have a clean bill of health.

Each radio results will vary with age and environment it was in. Extreme temps tend to dry out the internal electrolyte over decades - which is a cap killer. All of the 10v rated OEM caps tend to be the weakest and most prone to failure. But other caps will also be found failed on occasion. Cheap grade/lack of quality caps used in production of CB radios is even found in radios today. Older radios are often on the edge of failure - at least - that has been my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
How about this. If you do decide to rebuild your classic CB radio; then I would strongly consider replacing the electrolytic caps. Save all of these old caps you take out and put them in a cup. Then go thru and test them all with an ESR tester. Keep notes and review it afterwards. Never seen a 30 y.o. radio yet have a clean bill of health.

Each radio results will vary with age and environment it was in. Extreme temps tend to dry out the internal electrolyte - which is a cap killer. All of the 10v rated OEM caps tend to be the weakest and most prone to failure. But other caps will also be found on occasion. Cheap grade/lack of quality caps used in production of CB radios is even found in radios today. Older radios just are on the edge - at least - that has been my experience.

I don't have the expertise.
The few techs discussed in these forums who work on radios are all apparently covered up.
Do any of the members here such as yourself restore vintage radios? I don't have one ready at this time but hope to before long.

Tricky part with vintage stuff is to read the odometer first. If it's past the first 100,000 miles, you should.... uh, wait.

No odometer. But the mileage will have a big influence on how many "preventative" parts will have to be replaced.

The old rule of "If it ain't broke" is fine for gadgets that are not past retirement age.

And the shade tree rule of "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is" can certainly apply.

The art of identifying things that SHOULD have gone bad by now, but haven't yet done so is one part statistical reality and one part experience.

If you don't mind having to repeatedly replace "just one more" electrolytic capacitor in a radio, there's nothing wrong with skipping the "re-cap" routine. It's your radio, so who will be annoyed if it flakes out once or twice a month? If it annoys you enough, maybe the rest of those caps will get replaced halfway through the whole list of them.

But if you charge someone good money for the result he wanted, playing it safe is the way to go.

It's all about the result you seek.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
In addition to recapping and aligning what else is commonly involved in restoring an older unit?

Mostly stuff related to mileage and moisture exposure.

A radio stored in an unheated garage, a damp basement or attic will have issues with condensation unless you live in a desert. Scratchy controls that won't respond to control cleaner will have to be replaced.

High humidity will warp the paper cone in a 30 or 40 year-old speaker. Makes the sound "fuzzy" until you replace it. Relays are an issue. A mostly-unused relay may benefit from cleaning the contacts. A 100,000-mile relay with wear on the contact points will just have to be replaced.

Tube radios that have tube sockets soldered to a printed circuit board have a unique problem. The spring contacts will lose their spring temper and get loose. Simply pushing an ice pick into the socket and restoring tension only works for a while. A high-mileage tube radio with circuit-board tube sockets might need a handful of them replaced. Mostly the tubes that run at the highest temperature will wear out the socket first.

For reasons I can only guess, the tube sockets you find mounted in a punched hole in a steel chassis almost never go bad until someone dribbles some corrosive beverage into them. My educated guess is that the spring alloy used in the chassis-mount sockets is different for what is used in the circuit-board sockets. Gotta wonder if anyone who really understood the engineering design of a tube socket is still alive to ask about this. I've been wanting to ask someone who actually knows about this for decades.

Carbon-composition resistors were cheap 40 or 50 years ago. They have a bad habit of "drifting", or changing resistance value with age, and especially with long-term heat exposure. The larger 1-Watt and 2-Watt parts are most vulnerable to this. As an example, we have a list of 10 or 11 of these that we will change without testing them first in a Tram D201 radio. The parts are cheaper than the aggravation of having the customer come back when one of them quits in a week or two after it goes back home, so we just change them as SOP.

Not so different from an old car. Hoses, belts, gaskets, seals and bushings.

If it is 15 years old or older and was not built with Mil-Spec caps than it should be re-caped. Electrolytics are terrible especially if left unused for years that is the worst thing for them. I have never seen a radio over 15 years old that did not benefit from having a re-cap assuming it has electrolytics in it besides just the power filter caps. It is also a great time to look for solder joint issues and do a proper alignment! Again never seen a radio more than 4 years old that did not benefit from an alignment!!! Even brand new radio's right out of the box are not always aligned to the best they can be aligned often they meet the factor minimum specifications. Even mica cap's go bad!

I recap old tube type CB sets. I replace the power supply electrolytic capacitor and any old paper caps. They are subject to failure, but I seen many old 1960s capacitors still ticking!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?