• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reversing Course

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Well, 2/3 of the way in my journey to becoming a ham, I've applied the brakes and am reversing course.
Mainly because I've become really nostalgic lately and enjoying looking at photos of vintage CB radios much more than those of sophisticated HF units. The features on ham radios such as my Icom IC-7100 are endless and somewhat overwhelming whereas even large CB's like the old Browning's and Trams are simplistic in their operation.
I don't think I'd ever learn enough to take full advantage of what my Icom has to offer in even basic operation, much less venturing into D-Star and the such.

There are other reasons for the about-face.

While I like the idea of the orderliness and professionalism ham radio has to offer, truth be told I really prefer the more relaxed environment of CB, despite its occasional trials and tribulations.

I also dislike adding my name and Social Security number to one more database in order to get my ham tickets.
(I know there is an indirect way around this, but the info still has to be shared.)

And lastly, (this one's hard to explain) while sitting at the controls of my 7100 and listening to the airways, I discovered the experience lacked the excitement I'd expected. Rather, it was a somewhat cold and distant feeling totally unlike the warm and fuzzy I get twisting knobs on an old Cobra Dynascan 85, Royce 619, or a Navaho TRC-432.

So that's it. Good or bad, right or wrong, sometimes you just go with your feelings. And my feelings tell me my being a ham is akin to me searching for the banana puddin' among dishes of Tiramisu, Biscotti, and Creme Brulee.

Watch the Swapshop for good deals on equipment!

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:

Jim I know the feeling. I have a new 450fd from Yasue don't even know how to use it.

I understand, Bobby.

For me, I think nostalgia is the biggest reason. A longing to return to how things once were and will never be again.
But I can try.

Last edited:
And there I was thinking you were just being facetious with your post on the other thread about selling your ham equipment I guess I guess the joke is on me.

I understand, Bobby.

For me, I think nostalgia is the biggest reason. A longing to return to how things once were and will never be again.
But I can try.

There is an AM ameatur radio operator in you somewhere. :)

When I first got my ticket and started listening to the guys on the local repeaters talking I put ameatur radio on the back burner. I started listening to the HF bands and found the operators were more laid back and friendly....when I first heard someone say break and no one bitched about it I didn't know what to think. It turns out that most of them are old Cbers but only a few will talk openly about it on the air. :ROFLMAO:

I understand where you're coming from though. I've met some good people on HF but I still I still have a lot of good friends on 11 meters and I still talk there. I probably always will.

Reactions: tba02 and Riverman
u740lrg.jpg
rv7_0884_std.jpg

My two babies top = 101ZDMKIII Bottom = 901DM that is feeding a 2 meter transverter. CB's Aint got nothing on these!

Years ago, I was studying for my ham ticket. Then I got my hands on a CB with SSB and really enjoyed that experience. I put the brakes on the ham ticket and never looked back. 2 meter VHF through a repeater...boring. Listening to some smart ass, mister know-it-all old timer giving a new ham a hard time...arrogant. I'm happy right where I am at.

Some of the proliferation of trash on 11 meters is frustrating, but I'm fortunate to be in an area where the few other operators around me are top notch. And I have plenty of fun with my various antenna arrays and related experiments.

Years ago, I was studying for my ham ticket. Then I got my hands on a CB with SSB and really enjoyed that experience. I put the brakes on the ham ticket and never looked back. 2 meter VHF through a repeater...boring. Listening to some smart ass, mister know-it-all old timer giving a new ham a hard time...arrogant. I'm happy right where I am at.

Some of the proliferation of trash on 11 meters is frustrating, but I'm fortunate to be in an area where the few other operators around me are top notch. And I have plenty of fun with my various antenna arrays and related experiments.

Abandoning my quest has another benefit. I no longer have to lie in bed at night worrying about microhenrys and picofarads LOL. (n)o_O

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.