• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reversing Course

Thanks for all the positive responses, guys. Truth is, I expected a bunch of negative ones.

I began this thread because a lot of nice people shared good information and study tips with me upon my original decision to become a ham, and I felt I needed to let them know I'd decided otherwise. And because I felt somewhat guilty about it and wanted to get it off my chest.

I've heard it said in these forums before and agree wholeheartedly:

We're all just folks enjoying radio as a hobby.
Doesn't matter what kind of radio.
:)

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: tba02
Years ago, I was studying for my ham ticket. Then I got my hands on a CB with SSB and really enjoyed that experience. I put the brakes on the ham ticket and never looked back. 2 meter VHF through a repeater...boring. Listening to some smart ass, mister know-it-all old timer giving a new ham a hard time...arrogant. I'm happy right where I am at.

Sounds like you based your decision on about 0.001% of what is available to someone with a ham license. 2m repeaters certainly have their place but listening in can indeed be boring but 2m repeaters have an important role in amateur radio. As for the arrogance on the bands......welcome to life. It happens everyday in person as well. It is not exclusive to the amateur bands.

I will always enjoy my export radios. I know that makes me an outlaw:ROFLMAO: I really don't care. I really enjoy freebanding!!!

Well, 2/3 of the way in my journey to becoming a ham, I've applied the brakes and am reversing course.
Mainly because I've become really nostalgic lately and enjoying looking at photos of vintage CB radios much more than those of sophisticated HF units. The features on ham radios such as my Icom IC-7100 are endless and somewhat overwhelming whereas even large CB's like the old Browning's and Trams are simplistic in their operation.
Regards,
Jim
There is no reason you can't do both. I was a cber since 1968 and a ham only since 2013 and I still buy cb gear for the heck of it for my collection. I have been known to popup on 37 and 38 LSB. I have always been 555 triple nickel and that is my call out.
Have some fun on the ham bands because the skip is almost on for one band or another.

ham radio is not for everyone. i enjoy both of both worlds. before you start telling me i'm not supposed to talk on 11 meters. with my general ticket.
i've found ham radio to be quite boring. and the hams wont even talk to you. it they know you were a cber. so i decided to let my ticket expire.
and just talk 11 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.