• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF signal generator?

4khz error is not going to work for you - no.

Ok, I'm going to respond even though my inner voice tells me it might not be a good idea. First this is "not a 4 KHZ error" this is a 4 khz movement over 30 minutes with a generator that was turned on cold and allowed to warm up thru the test. And, If you plug your Counter into the frequency monitor output you will have no issue keeping generator where you want it. This is not critical mass it never was in the 60's and into the 70's when equipment far less stable than this was used every day on the bench.

Ok I'm going to stop now and show you the results after this generator was allowed to warm up while I went down to LOWES with my grandson shopping.

The images are of the Generator after warm up it didn't drift even "HZ" in the last 40 minutes.

Ok, I'm going to respond even though my inner voice tells me it might not be a good idea. First this is "not a 4 KHZ error" this is a 4 khz movement over 30 minutes with a generator that was turned on cold and allowed to warm up thru the test. And, If you plug your Counter into the frequency monitor output you will have no issue keeping generator where you want it. This is not critical mass it never was in the 60's and into the 70's when equipment far less stable than this was used every day on the bench.

Ok I'm going to stop now and let the results speak for themselves after this generator was allowed to warm up while I went down to LOWES with my grandson shopping. Each image has the corresponding image info showing the timeline as well as the spectrum analyzer timer shows the lapse time.

The images are of the Generator after warm up it didn't drift even "1 tenth of a HZ" in the last 40 minutes and yes I do mean "HZ" . after 1.5 hrs it is sitting on 20.0000

20180221_200051.jpg 20180221_200051.jpg 20180221_200948.jpg 20180221_201546.jpg Screenshot_20180221-202105.png Screenshot_20180221-202123.png Screenshot_20180221-202135.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes I miss spoke as they say, But that being said When working on old AM broadcast radios this gen will more than be okay as I said you have to re-set the gen and 4kc over a 30 minute period on the bench is a lifetime, this level of drift isn't an issue unless you don't have a counter then it becomes an issue. That is why they have counter monitor outputs on them I have used nearly every kind of generator you can imagine going back to the 60's even had nixie tube counters that were not even remotely this stable and still managed to repair old broadcast radios and without an issue. The moral here is you must be an operator sometimes be in control of the equipment especial if you can't afford equipment that meets the new age purist standards. Anyway sorry for the error and happy to see you are all on the ball it's good to know my mistakes won't go unnoticed.

Update after 4hrs it has drifted a total of 10 Khz that's 4 lifte times

And just so we understand that I understand I would not recommend this Gen for alignment of PLL radios, cb's, especially SSB I'm responding to the idea of using this on 40's thru 60's vintage tube radios .

Well I must have missed that you were using for old broadcast radios and not communications gear. You are quite correct that it would be unsuitable for SSB gear or PLL circuits. Also I wasn't trying to be an ass pointing out the error it's just that I see a LOT of people making the same mistake. Some even think that the 100 Hz digit is really 0.1 Hz.

Well I must have missed that you were using old broadcast radios and not communications gear. You are quite correct that it would be unsuitable for SSB gear or PLL circuits. Also, I wasn't trying to be an ass pointing out the error it's just that I see a LOT of people making the same mistake. Some even think that the 100 Hz digit is really 0.1 Hz.

Somehow we must have posted at exactly the same moment. Early'er I was in a hurry and didn't take the time I should have but I have posted the results after the generator had proper warm-up time and the drift on these generators is almost undetectable after warm-up the above images and timeline show.
That being said the HP generator that Kevin is looking at would be very good just remember it is untested and that may be a bad idea as it was stored for 10 years without use. I would not have an issue with it as I could deal with whatever may be wrong with the generator. And you may get lucky and not have an issue.

Last edited:
Anyone know of any decent fairly inexpensive new generators on the market that would be suitable? There are Chinese scopes and spectrum analyzers that seem to have some level of acceptability, surely those same companies can make a signal generator.

TruckerKevin:

The Hp 8656 can be bargained with, the ad said to 'make offer'. You also can't be sure of the last time it was calibrated either - which is a bargaining chip and a caveat as well to you. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruckerKevin
I've a 2050 I got from fleabay. Had it a year or so, I like it. I'm no technician, but for me and my radios I pick up here and there to learn on, it does fairly well. I keep a radio that has been aligned to compare them to. It hears well and if I can get them that close with a cheap unit like the 2050, it's fine. There's a few on fleabay now for cheap. Under $100

Most electronic shops/companies remove all stickers for liability reasons. They don't want it to be traced back to them just case it burns a house down, or electrocutes some body. Most of time they are simply replaced because they can't write them off on taxes as depreciation, or they have reached the end of service life.
Sometimes you get a princess, sometimes a pig.

TruckerKevin:

The Hp 8656 can be bargained with, the ad said to 'make offer'. You also can't be sure of the last time it was calibrated either - which is a bargaining chip and a caveat as well to you. Just saying.

Robb

I noticed in a very old thread of yours you use an HP 5361A frequency counter.

I have a chance to score one of these on a note, but it is in unknown condition tested for power up only.

The seller is willing to refund me within the same first 2 days if it doesn’t meet my expectations.

What sort of cables do I need to fully test this thing with so I can return it promptly? Do you recommend this counter still? Or should I go a different route?

Kevin
Here is a counter that would be more than adequate and it's very reasonably priced and the cost includes shipping. I have purchased equipment from this seller and never had a problem, as a matter of fact, one of the counters i use is one just like this and found it to be extremely accurate. Just something to consider. @ $37 bucks it would be good to have around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-FC-7015U-100MHz-Universal-Counter/142321356475?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649counter.jpg

Kevin
Here is a counter that would be more than adequate and it's very reasonably priced and the cost includes shipping. I have purchased equipment from this seller and never had a problem, as a matter of fact, one of the counters i use is one just like this and found it to be extremely accurate. Just something to consider. @ $37 bucks it would be good to have around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-FC-7015U-100MHz-Universal-Counter/142321356475?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649View attachment 22714

Intruiging except it’s out of stock :frown

Ok, Kevin, you should slow down take a deep breath and try this again because it's also is intriguing. Here is another one and if you don't take your good old time it will be there and maybe I will purchase and turn around and sell it for $80. ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C-C-150MHz...=item1c788159f9:g:AHsAAOSw-0xYXDMJ&rmvSB=true

counter.jpg

If you just need to do a quick receive alignment to get by until you get real equipment, then just use another cb with the output power turned down.

Key it up into a dummy load and use that signal to align the receiver of the other radio.

Cheap and dirty yes, but it will work.
LC

If you just need to do a quick receive alignment to get by until you get real equipment, then just use another cb with the output power turned down.

Key it up into a dummy load and use that signal to align the receiver of the other radio.

Cheap and dirty yes, but it will work.
LC
Made me think of the 'five mile simulator' dummy load on CB Tricks. Never built one. Have you?

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_05/graphics/secret_cb_vol_05_pg10.pdf

Looks like two 12w 50 ohm dummy loads in a voltage divider circuit. I imagine that by substituting the 1.5Mohm resistor with a rotary switch with other high resistance/resistors would change the uV value. Dunno how much percentage uV attenuation the 1.5Mohm (and other resistor values) will do to a unmodified 4w CB? Perhaps Nomadradio or other guru can comment on with that point?

Last edited:
Made me think of the 'five mile simulator' dummy load on CB Tricks. Never built one. Have you?

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_05/graphics/secret_cb_vol_05_pg10.pdf

Looks like two 12w 50 ohm dummy loads in a voltage divider circuit. I imagine that by substituting the 1.5Mohm resistor with a rotary switch with other high resistance/resistors would change the uV value. Dunno how much percentage uV attenuation the 1.5Mohm (and other resistor values) will do to a unmodified 4w CB? Perhaps Nomadradio or other guru can comment on with that point?
Ya know ive always wanted to build one of those but never got around to it.

Someone here should throw one together and post the results.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.