• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFI getting into switching power supply when transmitting

Jan 1, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone.. I'm currently running into a small problem.. When I'm transmitting with my radio, there is RFI getting into my switching power supply. I can pretty much hear everything i'm saying and eventually, the power supply turns itself off and I have to turn it off and turn it back on to turn on the power supply again. My antenna is 70 ft up o a tower and I'm running rg213 for coax. The switching power supply is a jetstream jtps45 and the reviews are good on it. My radio is a 2970n2. How can i eliminate the RFI getting into it? I tryed using a ferrite core I took out of an old tube tv and wrapped the ac power cord several times and it's still coming into the power supply.. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Al

Choke balun at antenna feedpoint and another at the radio plus proper grounding system.
Also EMI filter between radio and PS.
Mike

Last edited:
what Mike told you is a good stating point. good ,luck my friend. this may be a easy fix then again it may not. grounding will be your 1st priority.

I only heard of this happening if there was a ground loop or it can be a bad power supply or cable. Make sure none of your cables are bunched together making round coils then to test try to remove ground pin from A/C plug using those adapter plugs. Make sure your antenna is grounded with a ground rod close to your station and last have your station and any antenna switches also grounded with a braid or flat stock. If you still have feedback , at the antenna feed point I made a small choke, rapping coax around 8 times in a 6 inch diameter coil. Lastly check for damaged cable or bad connections. Hope this helps, Good luck. Old Crow

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated