• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM AD 203 Stinger Board

unit511

Jan 21, 2012
Please post any thoughts and concerns about this item. I am interested in putting one in a Lafayette Telsat SSB 140. Thanks.

Last edited:

re

the thing about the stinger board. you have to have a very low dead key. or it will sound horrible. 1-2 watts dk any more it will sound distorted

Please post any thoughts and concerns about this item. I am interested in putting one in a Lafayette Telsat SSB 140. Thanks.

It has class C biasing and would not be a good choice for SSB mode operation.

Go with an external amp of same output with at least class B biasing.

Reactions: 1 person
Have read that this unit was installed in a Cobra 148GTL and worked fine on SSB. Pushed over 70 watts

Internal amps have a place with some people, and others look down upon them. I agree with the external recommendation. Heat is an issue for those that are long winded, as well as RFI. While they are a good concept, they also have their faults. You'd be happier with an external amp rather than the AD-203.

This subject has been beat to death and then dug up and beat again hundreds of times. Stinger boards suck, do what mack said and use an external amp. Even worse it is a RM/KLV POS.

This subject has been beat to death and then dug up and beat again hundreds of times. Stinger boards suck, do what mack said and use an external amp. Even worse it is a RM/KLV POS.

And you can get the outboard version of the KL stinger board, the KL-203 for just about the same price. No need to hack your radio for one of these things.

Reactions: Robb
the thing about the stinger board. you have to have a very low dead key. or it will sound horrible. 1-2 watts dk any more it will sound distorted

If it's a radio used on channel 6 distortion is a highly sought after characteristic.

Reactions: 1 person
What's nice is everything is in one package. No external crap to deal with. Plug and Play......Still like the idea of not having an external box with 2 bulky coaxes and a heavy duty power cable....

It is not a good Idea, in addition to the class c on SSB, it will put added stress on the power supply inside the radio.
The only other way to do it is to add it and then run it off an external supply....kind of defeats the whole idea.

jeff

Well I installed the board in a TRC-453 mobile rig. The hardest part was cutting the cover to accept the board. I installed it in an unconventional way I guess. I have it so the aluminum heatsink is on the outside of the radio. I did have to remove the speaker because the radio is so small. I used a dremel like tool with a cutoff blade to cut a rectangle out of the cover. I did have to fit the board so that there was enough clearance so as not to have components touching and shorting. By installing the heatsink on the outside I gain about 3/16 inch on the inside. I followed the directions that came with the board and within 60 min. it was installed. I immediately got some radio reports and they all came back great audio and nice signal. I don't have a watt meter yet but shall soon. A local said it sounds like a 50 watt radio now. There is no rf and no heat problems. I did put some hot glue on the connections so that they don't move when I reinstall the cover on the cb. So far I am real happy with the performance . I have no problems on SSB like so many people seem to have had. It was just a nice mate I guess. I did get a new wire set in 12g. to replace the original cobra wire. The radio has a stock mike. I am using a 15amp ps which is handling it real well. Some of the locals want more info and one wants me to install one in his radio. It is a great little project and I keep on learning. I will try to post a pic or two.....

Installed Board

This is a pic ...hope i did it right. I could spray the bottom with flat black and you would not even notice this install.

Attachments

• trcwboard.jpg
    trcwboard.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 207

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated