• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy KL400 on CW

CW (A1A),.... no

MCW (A2A),..... perhaps............ depends on your rules in DW land.

here we can use MCW above 50.1 (I think)

Why can't he use it on CW? If he used SSB mode and keyed a carrier (CW) thru it it should trip with the first RF thru it and depending on keying speed the relay may stay engaged. He could also externally trigger the relay before and after sending. No reason why it would not work. All that mode switch is is a capacitor across the relay coil in SSB mode to hold the relay in for a bit.

Reactions: wavrider
Why can't he use it on CW? If he used SSB mode and keyed a carrier (CW) thru it it should trip with the first RF thru it and depending on keying speed the relay may stay engaged. He could also externally trigger the relay before and after sending. No reason why it would not work. All that mode switch is is a capacitor across the relay coil in SSB mode to hold the relay in for a bit.

I see. Thanks Cap. I was thinking running the radio on low power and the amp on low power would not stress any of them. Instead of just running high on the radio and kind of stressing it.

It is possible. You just have to key the KL-400 in to transmit mode and then pulse your carrier through it. There is a transistor you have to take the base to ground so the amp is keyed. I'll look it up and get back to you later today.

It is possible. You just have to key the KL-400 in to transmit mode and then pulse your carrier through it. There is a transistor you have to take the base to ground so the amp is keyed. I'll look it up and get back to you later today.

Ha.......forgot it does not have provisions for external hard keying. :confused: My solidstate amps are all amateur band VHF/UHF stuff and can be keyed either with RF or externally via a plug on the back.

Tallman is pretty good with the RM amps. He knows them well. I won't put his business out there but let's just say he has worked on a lot of them!! He will get you right on track singularity35.(y)(y)

Here is the schematic diagram for the KL-400 and the point you need to know.
This key up with out RF carrier is used to set the Quiescent current for the new power transistors. If you key up and have an output without carrier applied your amp maybe oscillating. For testing purposes do not even connect the RF cables to the input of the amp. Hope this helps!
klv400_20161004_0001.jpg

Reactions: 222DBFL
Why can't he use it on CW? If he used SSB mode and keyed a carrier (CW) thru it....

that's my point,.... it may "sound" like CW,...... but, it's not A1A.

Morse code and CW are not defined by the FCC as being the same.

All the sound card produced "CW" is really a J3E emission, yes, it does sound like CW.

USE OLD NEW

Pure carrier A0,F0 N0N
Morse telegraphy (by ear) A1 A1A
Modulated CW Morse A2 A2A
AM voice A3 A3E
SSB, suppressed carrier A3J J3E
SSB, reduced carrier A3R R3E
SSB, full carrier A3H H3E
Television A5 C3F

RTTY (F.S.K.) F1 F1B
RTTY (A.F.S.K.) F2 F2B
FM voice (Narrowband) F3 F3E, 20K0F3E

N None
A AM (Amplitude Modulation), double sideband, full carrier
H AM, single sideband, full carrier
R AM, single sideband, reduced or controlled carrier
J AM, single sideband, suppressed carrier
B AM, independent sidebands
C AM, vestigial sideband (commonly analog TV)

F Angle-modulated, straight FM
G Angle-modulated, phase modulation (common; sounds like FM)

D Carrier is amplitude and angle modulated

P Pulse, no modulation
K Pulse, amplitude modulation (PAM, PSM)
L Pulse, width modulation (PWM)
M Pulse, phase or position modulation (PPM)
Q Pulse, carrier also angle-modulated during pulse
W Pulse, two or more modes used

X All cases not covered above

N = Nature of modulating signal

0 None
1 Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation
2 Digital, with modulation
3 Single analog channel
7 Two or more digital channels
8 Two or more analog channels
9 Composite, one or more digital channel, one or more analog

I = Information type

N None
A Aural telegraphy, for people (Morse code)
B Telegraphy for machine copy (RTTY, fast Morse)
C Analog fax
D Data, telemetry, telecommand
E Telephony, voice, sound broadcasting
F Video, television
W Combinations of the above

Yup fully aware of the mode of emissions including the difference between A1A and a modulated tone transmitted as if CW however where did the OP say he wanted to key a modulated carruer thru the amp? He simply asked if he could use it for CW. He does have his ticket and any FCC regulations mean squat to him. He is in The Philippines.

Reactions: Tallman
BTW in my post above when I said SSB mode I was referring to the switch on the amp not voice mode SSB from the transmitter. That should have been clear when I mentioned about the delay if he used RF keying.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated