• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Roof mounted Wilson 1000

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
Has anyone ran a Wilson 1000 roof mount?

How well do they perform as opposed to the magnet mount Wilson 1000? (I've read/heard before a hard mounted antenna is better than a magnet mount)

Also does anyone have any pics as to how they are mounted? Do i need to bore a gigantic 7/8 hole in the roof for one to fit into?

Thanks in advance.

I ran a Wilson 1000 mag mount for a couple of years before I went over to a hard mount. The biggest difference I noticed with the hard mount was less noise in my receive. It made it easier to hear and work the weaker signal stations versus the mag mount.

Im presently using a Wilson 5000 mag mount on one vehicle and a Wilson 5000 roof mount on another. Both perform well, but there is less noise hash and trash with using the roof mount over the mag mount.

Would any of you say a Wilson 1000 roof mount would get you out further as opposed to the Wilson 1000 mag mount?

I ran a Wilson 1000 mag mount for a couple of years before I went over to a hard mount. The biggest difference I noticed with the hard mount was less noise in my receive. It made it easier to hear and work the weaker signal stations versus the mag mount.

When you went to a hard mount, did you use a Wilson 1000 roof mount?

Im presently using a Wilson 5000 mag mount on one vehicle and a Wilson 5000 roof mount on another. Both perform well, but there is less noise hash and trash with using the roof mount over the mag mount.

How much less noise (S units) would you say there is on the hard mount as opposed to the mag mount?

solid mount like a puck mount
is a solid mount

yes a hole drilled will perform better than a mag mount
so just bypass that wilson nmo mount thing
and just puck it

Thanks.

So just for info, what, if anything would cause my TX to increase by hard mounting a Wilson 1000 as opposed to the magnet mount?

You would see an increase in RX if you were to sink a copper ground rod and attach it to your bumper.

Did you do a test for the difference in TX?

Years ago I used to go up on a hilltop and mount an A99 on 15 feet of masting into a modified receiver hitch on the back of my '85 GMC T15 Jimmy. I had a wire attached to the masting and a ground rod that I would pound into the ground. It used to piss off the big strappers around here because my weaky-squeaky mobile would get heard over their base stations. (y)

I never did testing to determine any difference in TX, and if there was any it was never mentioned to me by those I talked to on a regular basis. The difference in RX was definitely noticable though. I also liked the cleaner install of the hard mount - no exposed coax or problems routing it into the cab. ;)

Thanks. I am very much leaning towards going to a hard mount.

My next question...since I am broke, I am wondering if anyone has ever taken apart a Wilson 1000 mag mount? I'm not talking the coil part but yet the base....when the coil body is removed it has a regular coax jack on there....I'm wondering if it's possible to remove this and the associated wiring out of the base/magnet assembly and had mount in the roof of my truck?

Thanks. I am very much leaning towards going to a hard mount.

My next question...since I am broke, I am wondering if anyone has ever taken apart a Wilson 1000 mag mount? I'm not talking the coil part but yet the base....when the coil body is removed it has a regular coax jack on there....I'm wondering if it's possible to remove this and the associated wiring out of the base/magnet assembly and had mount in the roof of my truck?

You can't turn a Wilson mag mount into a through the roof mount. You can buy the roof mount assembly from a wilson dealer.

You can't turn a Wilson mag mount into a through the roof mount. You can buy the roof mount assembly from a wilson dealer.

And why not?

A Wilson 1000 mag mount consists of the whip, the screwable coil base, and then the magnetic base.

You can remove the coil base from the magnet base, and it screws on. There is an SO 239 connector in the magnet base and a PL 259 in the coil.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated