• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RTL-SDR FM Band Stop Filter SWL

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
I found this YouTube video recently that really helps out if you have issues using a cheaper SDR.

I couldn't find a SDR sub-forum on WWDX, & I'd like to share a ready-made solution for the most common problem people face when using the entry level SDR dongles.
For about $20 the RTL-SDR (RTL2832U) DVB-T USB dongle Is a great start for getting into software defined radio.
But for a little more
The cost is $14.95 USD with free international air mail worldwide shipping.
you get a useful receiver for under $50, just add a computer, connectors & antenna... Maybe down the road a low-noise amplifier, still cost effective though if you are computer savvy or would like to build the filter and low-noise amplifier yourself.. That and use an older computer. (y) Also plenty of great software available, free!

Without a filter the cheaper SDR can become quirky to almost completely unusable.
I would not amplify a signal going into the dongle without filtering, it wouldn't stand a chance!

I think these devices are cheap enough to justify buying one instead of building one, if you are into that sort of thing. :cool: 73

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.