• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SBE Console V no AM

No idea what the problem actually is, but you could try some deoxit on the mode switch to clean the contacts.

not familiar with this radio but most are about the same. if ssb works and AM does not TX the am regulator could be bad. check for 8 volts on each leg of the mode switch in each position. also does the radio receive on AM you just said no carrier so not sure what all is working and this info is needed to try to help you

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307
Used to have one of these many decades ago, and it didn't work either. Got it for free and couldn't make it work. They usually have PLL problems; but that doesn't sound like the issue you are having from your description. Since finding a replacement PLL is like finding hen's teeth, be glad that isn't your issue with this radio.

Sonoma is on the right track, as it sounds like the electrons are falling out somewhere in the AM circuit lol. IIRC, Exitthirteen (WWDX forum member here) has some experience with these radios. He might be able to give you some pointers on where to look if he reads this post.

not familiar with this radio but most are about the same. if ssb works and AM does not TX the am regulator could be bad. check for 8 volts on each leg of the mode switch in each position. also does the radio receive on AM you just said no carrier so not sure what all is working and this info is needed to try to help you
That's what cured my Cobra 139XLR base rig that had the same symptoms as his SBE. Not sure if the chassis are related, though.

Brett

Anybody have any ideas? Im still scratching my head. I just got a parts rig and it has the same issues!!!!! UGH!!!!

did you read the post I and Robb left you? it will get you started but you need to say if it is receiving on AM.if it RX on AM and works all on SSB then you ether have a bad AM regulator or part in it circuit. have you verified you have voltage on all 3 legs of the mode switch. we need help from you to get you started in the right direction.

here is the service manual for this radio. check voltages on q502 and Q602 to see if you have voltages on all 3 legs in TX and RX on AM. this thing should have some traces on both sides of the board if memory serves me right and some of the traces on the parts side can get bad and break. so check them out to those parts also.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/sbe/sbe_40cb_console_v/index.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Sonoma has worked on many, many radios. His advice is as solid as it gets. If you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do the job; then I'd suggest you send it to a shop.

Not the best radio ever made, but it is far from the worst and a keeper if it is working. If you start by testing the AM Regulator you will have started at the most logical place to look. Common fault part with many radios, especially happens when people try to eek out every last bit of modulation.

You can even replace it with a better/upgrade part if you do a little legwork/research of your own to find one. Clean the mode switch, perhaps look for a shorted electrolytic or tantalum cap in that circuit. If it becomes necessary, you might consider re-capping the entire radio, as it is well over thirty years old and past due anyway . . .

Last edited:
Thanks Robb, i respect your knowledge of repairing radios also.we just need a little help from the owner to check parts and tell us just what in the AM mode actually is not working.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated