• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scopes on HF Rigs

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Can someone explain the function of spectrum and audio scopes?

And for those of you who have them, do you consider them a necessity or a luxury?

Entry level units don't have them and am wondering if it is worth the extra money to start with one that does.

Thank you.

I have a scope on my Yaesu 101ZD MK111, I used to use it to monitor my audio and incoming audio but now I use only as a band scope to check for signals.

I have a scope on my Yaesu 101ZD MK111, I used to use it to monitor my audio and incoming audio but now I use only as a band scope to check for signals.

Does the band scope show the comparative strength of incoming signals? Does it display the entire band or just the frequency you are on?

Last edited:
Yes it shows the signal strength of the signals on either side of were I am. It does have a limited range(because its old) but I can see 50khz either side of center.

Does the band scope show the comparative strength of incoming signals?......
yes

Does it display the whole band or just the frequency you are on?.....
it depends on how wide you have it set

Thanks, guys.
What does the "waterfall" do? I see that term a lot in descriptions.

Last edited:
Same thing just newer stuff

Got it!

Another question: What is the real benefit of purchasing a $5800 radio like the Icom 7700 over a 7300 for $1300? (doesn't have to be Icom. Am talking about comparable Yaesu and Kenwood models as well.)

We are talking about built in oscilloscopes and spectrum analizers?
This is what I have -
yaesu-yo-901-multiscope.jpg

Reactions: BBB and LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated