• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Service Advisement On The S-400-12 Switching Power Supplies

Can you provide some details on the diode isolator arrangement? Did you just use a diode isolator like the type used on cars when running two batteries?
Exactly the same device that you would use in an RV to separate the 12 volt service battery from the engine starting battery. Megawatt sells those for less than you can build one for. Around $30.00 US Dollars.

Just to update, been using the megawatt S400-12 for about a week now and am very impressed with it. No hash and it is whisper quiet. Voltage was set at 12.26 from factory, I have since moved that up to 13.80v. Thanks for all the help and advice! Think I may try 2-3 of these in parallel for other things. Again thanks all for the help. God bless.

Reactions: Oatmeal
Just to update, been using the megawatt S400-12 for about a week now and am very impressed with it. No hash and it is whisper quiet. Voltage was set at 12.26 from factory, I have since moved that up to 13.80v. Thanks for all the help and advice! Think I may try 2-3 of these in parallel for other things. Again thanks all for the help. God bless.

MegaWatt has some higher powered units if you need more amperage. To run these in parallel you have to run the diode isolators or you could make some smoke.

Cool, good info there guys on this ps.
So one should handle a 2 pill with ease...
As long as the power draw is not more than 36 amps continuous.
A basic guestimating tool is 10 amps per 100 watts. If you need more than 36 amps they have several other models including a 200 amp supply.

Reactions: Oatmeal
Should be able to handle a ts350 Oatmeal. I believe that is a 2 transistor 2879's? Should draw about 20-25 amps, maybe a bit more if pushed hard. Loaf it along with about 12 watts pep and it should work fine with the megawatt s400.

10-4, was going to run it with a Cobra 2000, which has the variable in it and you can turn the watts down to zero and up to about 6 watts, swings 18-22 watts is about it...

Been looking at different amps and I have to admit I'm not a TS fan, but if there clean as people says they are, then I'm willing to give one a shot...never ran one to really no much about them, just what I've seen videos on and read what others have said about them..

Moleculo did a review of the ones off amazon, the same case and supply basically, but they can be hit or miss, but for 11 bucks each, it's not much of a loss.. The megawatt is way more cost wise but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with them. My brother in law has and older megawatt that is over 7yrs old at least, and it works like new still. But at any rate like I said for 11 bucks it isn't a hit to the wallet if one takes a crap! Good buy there bcrewcaptain!!

I have purchased 4 in the past, all from difference sellers, all different packing and "brands" all have been exactly the same power supply in the box right down to the placement of the stickers on the units. Only difference between the ones that were $0 vs $20, was if they came with the cord. I'll take the price getting cut in half again, I dont care of they come in a box thats trashed.

So true!!! I don't need that many but may purchase one more here if I get the radio room setup a bit more! Not much space right now. One radio at a time.

Even high end units have spurious emissions just depends what band you are on. Yaesu makes or made one with a knob on the front that lets you move the birdies around so they are not on the band you are operating on. It is simply the nature of switching power supplies to have some noise. I have had a Samlex 32 amp switching power supply over 7 year and have no issues with it on 12-10 meters but I am sure if I went looking for dirt and checked all the bands and their harmonics I could find some!

If the noise is just in the power why not filter it? I see these on Amazon for like $22-$$29 you can buy a lot of ferrite beads and capacitors for the extra $30 over what the Ebayer is charging. No one buys their car or truck based on the noise of the electrical system. When I was younger and was running a 2950 I could tell you if a GM,Ford or Harley was coming towards me based on the sound of it's electrical system.

Ever check your power service coming into the house? The power in my area is so dirty you would think I lived in a third world country!

bcrewcaptain how do you get to the warehouse section?
once you sort power supplies by section(electronics) it will give you the option for "seller" and pick amazon warehouse deals. If there are any currently available, it will show up, I buy things left and right from there and have only had a couple issues. Normally it's stock where the packaging has been damaged while at their facility and they cannot sell as "new". if you're lucky you can find stuff in the 80+% off range for all departments.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.