• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Short doublets and linear loading

543_Dallas

Jul 25, 2011
Assiming there is no tuner or feedline loss would linear loading a short doublet antenna increase performance?

My doublet it 68 feet long. It is used on 80 through 20 meters. Would linear loading make any improvement in performance on 80?

Another concern is moving the current maximums lower to the ground on the higher bands or causing RFI.

Any input or comments?

No performance improvement,, loading the antenna to shorten it physically, will decrease the band width of the antenna, and maybe slightly lower the efficiency of the antenna.

Many ops have QTH that are not big enough to put up full size antennas for the lower bands, so loaded antennas are what they use and they seem to have decent performance from them.

Best bet is install it and see for yourself.

Assiming there is no tuner or feedline loss would linear loading a short doublet antenna increase performance?

My doublet it 68 feet long. It is used on 80 through 20 meters. Would linear loading make any improvement in performance on 80?

Assuming there is no tuner or feed line loss, the linear loaded 68 foot doublet antenna (with the tips coming almost all the way back to the feed point) will have more losses in play. Think about it, you have twice the material in the air, so losses will naturally go up, plus a loading method, and all loading methods including linear loading add loss to an antenna. The radiation pattern will be the same, however, so no change there.

However, once you get past the added losses, a good question to as is are those losses a bad thing when comparing the complete antenna system? Lets add one more detail and factor back in the feed line losses.

In the case of the straight 68 foot doublet, SWR comes out to something like 1030, however, on the linear loaded doublet (like the one I described above) SWR is closer 35. However, factoring in the feed line losses, assuming 100 feet of LMR400, an SWR of 35 will have about 49% losses on the 80 meter ham band, while an SWR of 1030 will have more like 97% losses. This is definitely an antenna you would want to use ladder line with, unless you have a remote auto-tuner at the antenna's feed point, in which case, tuning an SWR of 35 is much easier and more efficient than tuning an SWR of 1030, and that is even if the auto tuner has an SWR range of 1030 to begin with...

To get the SWR and antenna losses data, I used modeling. To get the coax losses for a given SWR I used this page.

Another concern is moving the current maximums lower to the ground on the higher bands or causing RFI.

In what way do you see the current on the antenna getting closer to ground, is it more than a straight wire tied up to two end points?

The DB

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Think about it, you have twice the material in the air, so losses will naturally go up, plus a loading method, and all loading methods including linear loading add loss to an antenna. The radiation pattern will be the same, however, so no change there.

That's what I was uncertain about. The antenna and feedline are made of 10awg. Ladder line is only about 36 feet in length and is spaced 4 inches. Even then I know there is loss in the system.

The tuner is remote. A link coupled tuner with a 40 turn coil of 1/4" tubing about 5 inches in diameter. The link is 4 to 5 turns of #6 solid copper. Used a 10kv 350pf vac variable with a 15 rpm dc motor so I can tune the entire 80 meter band from inside.

I had issues with heating running a couple hundred watts AM in parallel configuration. The swr would creep up and I'd have to wait about 10 minutes for it to cool. No issues with that since I split the coil and run it in series with the cap on 75.

In what way do you see the current on the antenna getting closer to ground, is it more than a straight wire tied up to two end points?

The DB

I was thinking maximum current would be 1/4 wave from the end and i wasn't sure how linear loading would effect that. The apex is a little over 30 feet and the ends are around 12 feet high.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.