• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shrinking the SanJian PLJ-6LED counter display.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's the problem to be solved. The SanJian PLJ-6LED frequency displays are incredibly useful, and do just what they claim. Just one problem. They're too big to fit behind the window in a Tram D201 or a Siltronix VFO.

Solved the Siltronix problem by replacing the entire faceplate with smoked plexiglass. The big digits look nice in that setup.

6HBpuS.jpg

Can't do that with the Tram.

Found that I can buy 3-digit muxed LED displays like the ones used in the PLJ-6 display that are small enough. But they won't line up with the holes in the pc board.

So here's the fix. A piggyback board with the smaller digits. The labor to remove the original displays from the counter isn't that big a deal. Designed a prototype batch of the adapter board and found some compatible digits on Chinabay.

Works a treat, as they say down under.

J3R8zr.jpg

Just have to remember to trim the leads of the new digits so they don't bump against the pins on the driver chip when it's all smooshed together.

Next step is to remove the VFO dial and put this in the window of the D201 that's getting the scorched-earth rebuild done this week.

I'll update the thread when that gets done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307 and wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.