• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Signalink on CB?

NF822WNY

Aug 4, 2017
Western NY
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a signalink on CB? Is it possible? I would assume it would be a modified cable to the mic plug on the radio. Ultimately what i am interested in doing is remote listening my station via the internet. I doubt anyone is really throwing digital signals out there but Signalink says you can use voice as well.

Below is the email I got from Tigertronics in regards to this:

Me:
Looking over your website in the FAQ and it states that Signalink USB can be used on CB radio and to click here for the modification but there is no link.

Tigertronics:

Hi Nate,
Unfortunately that information was included in a recent update of our
FAQ by mistake and it has now been removed. We do not generally provide
support for SignaLink modifications, and the CB mod has potential legal
issues that still need to be reviewed so we're not publishing it at this
time. Essentially though, you would need to modify the SignaLink so
that the unused NC (Normally Closed) terminal of the PTT relay switches
the CB's RX line to ground when the regular PTT line is inactive. If
you are familiar with such things, the modification wouldn't be
difficult to make. Keep in mind though that digital mode operation with
a CB and/or connecting a CB to the internet is illegal here in the U.S..
Regards,
Jason / Tigertronics

Because you have no respect for the airwaves, that's why you can't answer the question!

If the question is why don't I want to become a ham just got answered with your response...I am already pretentious enough without added some letters behind my name.
I enjoy CB and those that I talk with but also see that It could be more, and like to tinker with radio equipment. Do i run power, sure, do i run an export rig, yes...but I have gone through great lengths to ensure that i do not disrupt other radio traffic or go outside the 11 meter band, or cause interference with the neighbors. There are plenty of yahoos on CB but I sir am not one of them, and my locals are not either. So your assumption on my disrespect of the airwaves is baseless at best.
You harbor great resentment for CB for someone that is running a galaxy in their big rig. Food for thought The anonymity of CB is priceless....

Reactions: Unit 194
If the question is why don't I want to become a ham just got answered with your response...I am already pretentious enough without added some letters behind my name.
I enjoy CB and those that I talk with but also see that It could be more, and like to tinker with radio equipment. Do i run power, sure, do i run an export rig, yes...but I have gone through great lengths to ensure that i do not disrupt other radio traffic or go outside the 11 meter band, or cause interference with the neighbors. There are plenty of yahoos on CB but I sir am not one of them, and my locals are not either. So your assumption on my disrespect of the airwaves is baseless at best.
You harbor great resentment for CB for someone that is running a galaxy in their big rig. Food for thought The anonymity of CB is priceless....
Wrong! I run CB's too and have been for over 30 years. For me it's always been a useful tool and a good past time traveling the highways for a living.

If you respected the airwaves, you wouldn't use equipment intended for Amateur use for illegal use on the CB band. Primarily I'm referring to remote operating. You even contacted Signalink to ask them how to integrate their product and they told you it wasn't legal to do so on CB.

If you ever cared to read the CB rules it mentions that remote operating isn't legal. It's clear you haven't done so recently.

If you want to learn to do it as a licensed Amateur, then I would be glad to help you set up a remote station as I have my home station setup for remote operation.

Reactions: Tallman
Wrong! I run CB's too and have been for over 30 years. For me it's always been a useful tool and a good past time traveling the highways for a living.

If you respected the airwaves, you wouldn't use equipment intended for Amateur use for illegal use on the CB band. Primarily I'm referring to remote operating. You even contacted Signalink to ask them how to integrate their product and they told you it wasn't legal to do so on CB.

If you ever cared to read the CB rules it mentions that remote operating isn't legal. It's clear you haven't done so recently.

If you want to learn to do it as a licensed Amateur, then I would be glad to help you set up a remote station as I have my home station setup for remote operation.

Good lord, make sure you don't go over 55 Mph ever too....I contacted Signalink because their website made mention of using it on CB, after I posed my question they changed their website...Everything out there says that the FCC doesnt care about the CB band and to be honest if you are not being a dick you and getting crazy with gear and interference nobody will ever know or care what you do on the CB band....The only ones that care are HAMS!?!?! I don't get it...big deal you passed a test...If it is set up right, no one would would be able to tell its remote operation. I guess ill figure it out by myself...ps there is a whole section at the top of the forum for HAMS...

Below is the email I got from Tigertronics in regards to this:

Me:
Looking over your website in the FAQ and it states that Signalink USB can be used on CB radio and to click here for the modification but there is no link.

Tigertronics:

Hi Nate,
Unfortunately that information was included in a recent update of our
FAQ by mistake and it has now been removed. We do not generally provide
support for SignaLink modifications, and the CB mod has potential legal
issues that still need to be reviewed so we're not publishing it at this
time. Essentially though, you would need to modify the SignaLink so
that the unused NC (Normally Closed) terminal of the PTT relay switches
the CB's RX line to ground when the regular PTT line is inactive. If
you are familiar with such things, the modification wouldn't be
difficult to make. Keep in mind though that digital mode operation with
a CB and/or connecting a CB to the internet is illegal here in the U.S..
Regards,
Jason / Tigertronics

Nice..Keep us informed on how it works out.

.....ps there is a whole section at the top of the forum for HAMS...

And a LOT of guys here are both. Do you suggest we ban hams from the CB side and ban CBers from the ham side? It doesn't work like that here. Never has and never will. Next time instead of getting brnt out of shape with some hatred towards a suggestion that what you seek is readily available via amateur radio why not just say "No thanks. Not interested . I want to do my own thing." This isn't going to end up a CBer versus ham thread.

Reactions: Tallman
And a LOT of guys here are both. Do you suggest we ban hams from the CB side and ban CBers from the ham side? It doesn't work like that here. Never has and never will. Next time instead of getting brnt out of shape with some hatred towards a suggestion that what you seek is readily available via amateur radio why not just say "No thanks. Not interested . I want to do my own thing." This isn't going to end up a CBer versus ham thread.

My intention was to ask and discuss a CB related question, in the CB portion of the forum..not to be berated by licensed hams on air wave etiquette. It seems there are those that feel the need to throw a license in everyone's face that doesn't have or need one... I think they would feel the same way if i replied in their discussions to just get a cell phone instead of using amateur radio.

My intention was to ask and discuss a CB related question, in the CB portion of the forum..not to be berated by licensed hams on air wave etiquette. It seems there are those that feel the need to throw a license in everyone's face that doesn't have or need one... I think they would feel the same way if i replied in their discussions to just get a cell phone instead of using amateur radio.
Most hams already have a cell phone wnd have found out how useless they can be at timee when you need them the most. :D Also the fact that Signalink was designed and made for use with amateur radios and some commercial users so why wouldn't a ham respond? (n) Rhetorical question BTW. No answer required. (y)

Reactions: fourstringburn
Keep in mind though that digital mode operation with a CB and/or connecting a CB to the internet is illegal here in the U.S..
Regards,
Jason / Tigertronics

Why is this the first question out of every HAM when CB is mentioned?
Comments like this do nothing to further the discussion...

I have been a CB'er since 1968 (50 years) and a Ham for five years. The hams will chime in on CB projects that could keep you out of the court system. There really is not a CB versus Ham culture perpetuated on this board. I like helping out anybody I can, I don't know everything but I do know how to research for the answers. Successful a lot.

The first quote should have told you what to do next.

Your quote show that you harbor resentment against people you don't know and are acting with a bias against a class of people you have never met.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.