• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Preformer 5000 Magnet Mount Antenna

Marconi, look at post #141, he did get the antenna tuned correctly. IDK if he still shows X being 0 across the whole band anymore, but will have to wait as you and see what he got.
Mudduckmobile, what length jumper did you actually tune that antenna with when you showed my the last post of
R=52
X=0
VSWR= 1.1:1
Just curious?? I am glad you got it working. Wild what a few snap on ferrite beads will do. I bought up a bunch when I first starting messing about with tuning antennas, and they truly work well. Anyhow. I hope and pray for you and you wife, your wife especially!! She seems to be a heck of a fighter!!!
So t worry about getting back to me or anyone else at the moment. Like Marconi said, take care of your wife man! Antenna will still be there when she is better!!!
73 and God Bless.
222DBFL
Sean.

Marconi, look at post #141, he did get the antenna tuned correctly. IDK if he still shows X being 0 across the whole band anymore, but will have to wait as you and see what he got.

222, I was checking out MD's two different testing details on his post #123, and I noticed the drop in frequency range when he simply added his 18' foot feed line to the antenna, and then compared it to his previous test using 16" inches of RG8X...a much shorter jumper instead.

I may be wrong, but I though such changes in feed point results suggested something needs fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Mudduckmobile, what length jumper did you actually tune that antenna with when you showed my the last post of
R=52
X=0
Just curious?? I am glad you got it working. Wild what a few snap on ferrite beads will do. I bought up a bunch when I first starting messing about with tuning antennas, and they truly work well. Anyhow. I hope and pray for you and you wife, your wife especially!! She seems to be a heck of a fighter!!!
So t worry about getting back to me or anyone else at the moment. Like Marconi said, take care of your wife man! Antenna will still be there when she is better!!!
73 and God Bless.
222DBFL
Sean.
We thank you !

Testing with mfj 259c, and 16in. rg8x jumper(sitting in truck testing).
Range for "X"=0 is:27.335 - 27.785.
X=0, R=64. swr=1.1
X=0, R=65. swr=1.2
X=0, R=78. swr=1.5
Then the fun starts.
I removed the mfj259c, and installed my 18ft. rg8x coax.
I reattached the mfj 259c at what will my rigs attachment point, I retested.
Range for "X"=0 is:26.904 - 27.319.
X=0, R=60. swr=1.2
X=0, R=56. swr=1.0
X=2, R=54. swr=1.1
X=9, R=49. swr=1.2
what do you think?

222, you will note in the data above that Mudduckmobile's report shows us that his using a 16" x RG8x jumper, produced X=0 over the range of 27.335 - 27.785 which is surely above and beyond the CB band.

Then he adds an 18' foot section of RG8x coax and gets X=0 over the frequency range of 26.904 - 27.319 which is within virtually the entire CB band.

I've simply asked him to substantiate with pictures his 259c results showing us the value of X=0 over such a large frequency range in either case, and I am waiting.

R=52
X=0

Albeit that MDuck shows a near perfect match at the feed point (using a very short length of coax) he then reports to us his match dramatically changed frequency on his adding an 18' section of coax. This is not a tuned length of coax, like you are suggesting, but MDuck's results does show feed point transformation IMHO.

222, in case you don't remember, this idea of using a specifically tuned coax jumper length to tune your antenna was what I was hoping you could test and record for me using your 259b on your NV4K...which you noted had a near perfect tune at the frequency you planned for and cut your tuned jumper at, including using the coax VF.

This is why I asked MDuck to retest and show us his results as read on his analyzer and not just give us some numbers. This is also why I asked you to do some similar testing some time back.

In a fashion I believe I have approached similar ideas with Needle Bender and a few others over time...and I'm still waiting. I know that Bob, DB, and others have discussed such issues at length on this forum and I may have made similar requests of them too.

MDuck has also reported to us the following information: Sirio Preformer 5000 Magnet Mount Antenna

Last edited:
222, you will note in the data above that Mudduckmobile's report shows us that his using a 16" x RG8x jumper, produced X=0 over the range of 27.335 - 27.785 which is surely above and beyond the CB band.

Then he adds an 18' foot section of RG8x coax and gets X=0 over the frequency range of 26.904 - 27.319 which is within virtually the entire CB band.

I've simply asked him to substantiate with pictures his 259c results showing us the value of X=0 over such a large frequency range in either case, and I am waiting.

Albeit that MDuck shows a near perfect match at the feed point (using a very short length of coax) he then reports to us his match dramatically changed frequency on his adding an 18' section of coax. This is not a tuned length of coax, like you are suggesting, but MDuck's results does show feed point transformation IMHO.

222, in case you don't remember, this idea of using a specifically tuned coax jumper length to tune your antenna was what I was hoping you could test and record for me using your 259b on your NV4K...which you noted had a near perfect tune at the frequency you planned for and cut your tuned jumper at, including using the coax VF.

This is why I asked MDuck to retest and show us his results as read on his analyzer and not just give us some numbers. This is also why I asked you to do some similar testing some time back.

In a fashion I believe I have approached similar ideas with Needle Bender and a few others over time...and I'm still waiting. I know that Bob, DB, and others have discussed such issues at length on this forum and I may have made similar requests of them too.

MDuck has also reported to us the following information: Sirio Preformer 5000 Magnet Mount Antenna
Photos to come soon. Numbers are alittle dif. but still very good,replaced all coax, sat out at 3600ft. with the nearest Butte about 5 air miles away. Nothing near me.
photos are coming please stand by.

20160918_112806.jpg 20160918_112652.jpg 20160918_112459.jpg 20160918_112851.jpg 20160918_104340.jpg
New DX Engineering 8X@6ft. to female to female then 16in. 8x. to 4in. Breadlove mount to Sirio 5000 trucker top of crew cab pick up all bounded,Every [place. Best I can get at this point....Should be good for ts dx500v behind a ft 450D ( Rf power down)

Last edited:
Thanks for the images MD, but are these images from a different antenna setup? What happened to the antenna you showed us with a copper coil you kept removing copper wire from, and the truck with an antenna mounted at the door hinges and the top hats?

I think I have confused your work with another member?

I see what you are reporting, but I don't see how it is possible we can ever see resonance X=0 across even the modest range you get today. Over even the short range of CB and a little beyond...my VA1 would probably be showing values with X not equal 0, but variable changes (<>) in reactance even if the value of Z=50 ohms and SWR = at or near perfect.

You are not alone in producing such data however, I have see others with 259b analyzers show similar results...I just don't understand what it means.

You also talk about bonding you did. Can you talk a little about that subject and how you think it impacts your final results noted here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the images MD, but are these images from a different antenna setup? What happened to the antenna you showed us with a copper coil you kept removing copper wire from, and the truck with an antenna mounted at the door hinges and the top hats?

I see it, but I don't see how it is possible we can ever see resonance X=0 across even the modest range you get today. Over even the short range of CB and a little beyond...my VA1 would probably be showing values with X not equal 0, but variable changes (<>) in reactance even if the value of Z=50 ohms and SWR = near perfect.

You are not alone in producing such data however, I have see others with 259b analyzers show similar results...I just don't understand what it means.

You also talk about bonding you did. Can you talk a little about that subject and how you think it impacts your results.
I got worked up over the antenna set up...too much off...Crazy readings...I just could not get it to come out same with repetitive testing. I always remove my antenna after testing( the Radiator) and put it back test, repeat. I need at times to remove my Radiator (city driving) so I just make sure all is well.
As for the Bonding. every two ft. on bough sides of the frame, 4 on box 3 on cab. 1 ea. side motor to frame, and 1 ea. side jumping the motor mount, 2 on the trans. to frame ea. side, and 2 box to cab, and two ea. side box to tool box, and antenna mount (under cab top) to cab frame. I like my mfj 259c, and I do know a few % off it can be....I would think. With that said, I am happy that I have 27.385, and a few more as I ssb most of the time. Now I will put the dx 500v on 16in from the antenna, mounted to my cab top where I have the F/F. set my power on the ft450d to 20w ssb, and see how she works. Then I will be back to my 102 whip on this mount with a DX Fighting stix that has 30in. of ajustment, and go back to my 14g. 1in. x7,8,9, turn coil. and see what that brings.
Yes my wife is better...she can walk 10, maybe 12 ft. and then needs to sleep 20 hours. It's a long road for her but she will never quit.she has god on her side.

Last edited:
.... What happened to the antenna you showed us with a copper coil you kept removing copper wire from, and the truck with an antenna mounted at the door hinges and the top hats?

I vaguely remember the thread you're talking about, not sure but I think it may have been Rabbiporkchop.

That was an antenna that Rabbiporkchop made, not MD. All he has been testing lately and settting up is the Sirio antenna Marconi. And yes I know I need to get those measurements. But it all rehire me pulling my entire mast back down and redoing all my coax and such. Everything is tied up and all coax is isolated from mast with rubber grommets from feed point to entry of my room. This is done song top of my Florida room by way of some spare stuff from my old job. But all coax is inside 1/2" rubber grommets with 1/2" snap in's being used as well as unistrut clamps with holes for coax snap in' as well. Surge arrester is placed inline at entry point to room. At any rate, it's not as easy to pull it all down at the moment due to all the guyed ropes and such involved. I am planning on moving it when it cools down, fingers crossed!! Will get new measurements amd re tune antenna if needed. Anyhow, I will get the readings one day here. I do promise that!! Have a good one all!!

I vaguely remember the thread you're talking about, not sure but I think it may have been Rabbiporkchop.

You are right StrangeBrew, but MDuck was the one posting his matching numbers. I still don't see how any antenna can show resonance, with X=0 across the whole CB band. My VA1 would be showing me some reactance, both ways as I went away from resonance, up or down frequency.

And when MDuck added length to his feed line in his next test using a longer feed line...he saw a dramatic change in frequency. To me that smacks of the readings at the feed point showing feed line transformation.

Am I wrong?

222, I recall some of the efforts you did to build your setup...but not all that. I was just reminding you of the idea. Under those circumstances I would never ask you to go to all the trouble...just to do a test for me.

Do you have an A99 or access to one for a test?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.