• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Preformer 5000 Magnet Mount Antenna

Yep. Can probably get my hands on one Marconi. Could test with that. Let me see what I can scrounge up.
Also I remember someone saying him having CMC issues with the longer coax. This may have contributed to the skewed readings yes??

Camaro1, your scan shows similar to what I would expect to see with my Autek VA1 analyzer, the reactance above and below resonance is not = 0, across the CB bandwidth.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: camaro1
Yep. Can probably get my hands on one Marconi. Could test with that. Let me see what I can scrounge up.
Also I remember someone saying him having CMC issues with the longer coax. This may have contributed to the skewed readings yes??

222, I don't recall, but I will look back and see who might have suggested CMC on MDuck's setup.

The only test I would request using the A99 would be to lay the antenna on two saw horses and scan and record the match with your 259b attached directly to the feed point.

Then raise it up to a convenient working height and check and record the match again with the analyzer directly connected to the feed point.

Then check and record the match with a modest length of coax inline with the 259b, and compare to see if the addition of the mast and feed line effect the antenna match.

If it was me...I would also isolated the antenna from the mast and check, record, and compare the match just to make sure that the A99 works with and without the addition of a feed line or mast...and is still producing a similar match in these cases.

And, if the test shows a difference in the match...what is the difference.

I predict that all the matches should be close enough for government work, and will be surprised if it is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
222, the only test I would request using the A99 would be to lay the antenna on two saw horses and scan and record the match with your 259b attached directly to the feed point.

Then raise it up to a convenient working height and check and record the match again with the analyzer directly connected to the feed point.

Then check and record the match with a modest length of coax inline with the 259b, and compare to see if the addition of the mast and feed line effect the antenna match.

If it was me...I would also isolated the antenna from the mast and check, record, and compare the match just to make sure that the A99 works with and without the addition of a feed line or mast...and is still producing a similar match in these cases.

And, if the test shows a difference in the match...what is the difference.

I predict that all the matches should be close enough for government work, and will be surprised if it is not.

222, here is a video of my test demonstrating how an A99 responds without a feed line attached, and with the antenna Isolated from the mast, feed line, and ground using my Autek VNA 1 connected directly at the feed point. The video is not too good...I had shaking in my hands that day, and there is a lot of plant life in the view that makes the video even more difficult to watch.

But IMO it does demonstrate that the A99 will work without a feed line or mast attached, producing nearly the same match whether the antenna is directly connected to the Earth or not.

For a while now I have hoped to one day do a similar test with and without the GPK attached, but my ill-health doesn't permit me.

I would expect similar results however.

Below is a PDF file for my Antenna Notes on the test several years ago. I've also include a video I made...to show how simple the test is.

Ole Grampa tries to keep his ideas simple.

NY714, sorry I stole your thread...so to speak. If I can I will remove this post.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    155 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I just installed the Sirio 5000 Turbo on my truck and I'm getting about 2 S units less static than with my Wilson 1000. The receive appears to be about 1 S unit better. I have not done any test with it yet from my base, but people don't have any trouble hearing me with my Cobra 25 and Dave Made 5 Transistor box. My SWR's are 1.3 with the box on after tuning it. I had 1.2 on my Wilson, but it's close enough. So far impressed with it. Worth the extra half a foot or so height IMHO.

So would I be off-topic if I mentioned my homebrew "Bourbon-Still" beat not only a Sirio 5000 but also a 102" whip, from a ridgetop 35 miles away...?

:cautious: But it ISN'T a base-loaded design so kinda 'Apples & Elephants' I guess... :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.