• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirios 2016 clone of the Spectrum 1600

Dec 18, 2009
So Cal
I can't help but notice not much about this antenna being talked about. Well its worth voicing an opinion from me. I have had many base antennas. The best built was the I 10k. Very impressive antenna and even better bragging rights. The maco 5/8ths was ok. Its kinda like owning a radio built by Ranger. Good stable antenna, but nothing new. I bought a flag pole tower from a guy about 10 years ago who had the spectrum 1600 on it. I offered him like $30 and bought it. A couple days later I dropped the Maco and put up the Spectrum. The first thing i noticed was the receive was so clean. I have above ground power lines behind my house and i guess I never noticed how much static i was hearing all that time. The next thing i noticed was my cheap garage tv wasn't going fuzzy on channel 2 when i keyed up. I ran a D n A 10 tube box and had some issues with the neighbors more often than i wanted. But this antenna cleaned it up. So after a while i moved up to a Tenessee Walker. A 220v steel tube monster with 4 4cx250s Just had to get it out of my system i guess. I blew a hole in the side of the spectrum. I think it was on display at FG Best for a while. I bought the 10 K. In the short time i ran the spectrum with my new box my RF issues with the neighbors was not too bad. But it did better a better job than the i10k as far as receive and rf problems. Now thats my opinion of those antennas in my area. I understand all you I 10K fans might not agree. I wouldnt waste my time with this story if I didn't think it needed to be said. Now after getting rid of all the big stuff and 7 years later i have put up a base. I ran the sirio tornado for a while and I would say thats the best 5/8ths antenna for under $100 i have ever owned. The neighbor likes to listen to AM radio news all day and I had very little ideas on how to stop the RF on his AM radio. So took that as reason to try the Sirio 2016. 150 bucks later it shows up at my house and i have to say Sirio knows their stuff. This is built stronger and smarter than the Spectrum. The performance has been great. Statics dropped and no complaints from the neighbors. The locals say i sound "smoother" and have jumped a DB or 2. One of them has ordered one and I'm confident that he will notice a difference. I took some pics of the things Sirio has changed to make it better. For anyone looking for a good base antenna that just can't pay the $350 for Jay. Save your time and money and buy this antenna. You will see why I say this is bar far my favorite 5/8ths groundplane antenna. I'll post the pics i have. The biggest improvement was threading the radials directly to the base of the antenna. I'm pretty sure it has a wider baseband than the Spectrum too. I run a 2995dx and my match is great from the highest to the lowest. 73's from So Cal

I can't help but notice not much about this antenna being talked about. Well its worth voicing an opinion from me. I have had many base antennas. The best built was the I 10k. Very impressive antenna and even better bragging rights. The maco 5/8ths was ok. Its kinda like owning a radio built by Ranger. Good stable antenna, but nothing new. I bought a flag pole tower from a guy about 10 years ago who had the spectrum 1600 on it. I offered him like $30 and bought it. A couple days later I dropped the Maco and put up the Spectrum. The first thing i noticed was the receive was so clean. I have above ground power lines behind my house and i guess I never noticed how much static i was hearing all that time. The next thing i noticed was my cheap garage tv wasn't going fuzzy on channel 2 when i keyed up. I ran a D n A 10 tube box and had some issues with the neighbors more often than i wanted. But this antenna cleaned it up. So after a while i moved up to a Tenessee Walker. A 220v steel tube monster with 4 4cx250s Just had to get it out of my system i guess. I blew a hole in the side of the spectrum. I think it was on display at FG Best for a while. I bought the 10 K. In the short time i ran the spectrum with my new box my RF issues with the neighbors was not too bad. But it did better a better job than the i10k as far as receive and rf problems. Now thats my opinion of those antennas in my area. I understand all you I 10K fans might not agree. I wouldnt waste my time with this story if I didn't think it needed to be said. Now after getting rid of all the big stuff and 7 years later i have put up a base. I ran the sirio tornado for a while and I would say thats the best 5/8ths antenna for under $100 i have ever owned. The neighbor likes to listen to AM radio news all day and I had very little ideas on how to stop the RF on his AM radio. So took that as reason to try the Sirio 2016. 150 bucks later it shows up at my house and i have to say Sirio knows their stuff. This is built stronger and smarter than the Spectrum. The performance has been great. Statics dropped and no complaints from the neighbors. The locals say i sound "smoother" and have jumped a DB or 2. One of them has ordered one and I'm confident that he will notice a difference. I took some pics of the things Sirio has changed to make it better. For anyone looking for a good base antenna that just can't pay the $350 for Jay. Save your time and money and buy this antenna. You will see why I say this is bar far my favorite 5/8ths groundplane antenna. I'll post the pics i have. The biggest improvement was threading the radials directly to the base of the antenna. I'm pretty sure it has a wider baseband than the Spectrum too. I run a 2995dx and my match is great from the highest to the lowest. 73's from So Cal

i have the EXACT same antenna i got from copper in 09. its still up and been in very
rough weather. should mother nature take rest assured i be getting another one
at my location i tried a a99 and imax neither antenna performed well. not to mentioned
tvi issues with 12 watts on ssb was just terrible. so my last try was the sirio 2016
and bingo not tvi at 100 watts. and talks locally 12 watts no problem at all.
COULD NOT do this with the a99/ imax mounted same base height. THANK YOU '
for review im glad to see others try this one. my review is on copper.com

Reactions: 1 person
I posted a couple pics. This local guy was shopping for a base antenna. He was leaning towards the Maco 5/8 . I told him to get the 2016 and if he didnt like it i'd give him my Tornado and pay the difference of the 2016. H'e happy with the 5/8s but he's doing drivebys with locals showing them the 2016.

Attachments

• resized antenna.jpg
    resized antenna.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 37
  • resizedc 2.jpg
    resizedc 2.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 33
  • resized 3.jpg
    resized 3.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.