• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Slight problem with Yaesu FT-897D

N2JBO

Mar 4, 2009
I got my Yaesu FT-897D w/ Internal P.S. last week and I just love it.
I purchased the LDG 897 Tuner and the IRAD SSB Filter,
and the LDG FT-Meter to go along with it.

My problem is with the LDG FT-Meter, I hooked it up by pluging the
wires in to the DC connector on the back of the radio at the Quick
Disconnect. When I turn the radio off the FT-Meter still stays "LIT"

So, the power is always ON to the Meter, from the Internal P.S.
how come ??? I use the power button to turn the radio On and Off,
but, the meter never shuts off ???

I used to have that meter...I wish I hadn't sold it. That meter is supposed to plug into the little connector that is on the bottom of the radio, just below the large VFO knob. I'm not sure I understand where you plugged it into on the back. Did you plug it into the ACC port?

BTW, how do you like that INRAD filter?

Yes, I have the meter plugged in correctly to read
the functions of the radio from underneath the front panel.

I love the INRAD filter, it really makes a difference
in working around crowded sations in plie-ups.

One would think, when the radio is switched OFF, the Light would go OFF also.

The way the meter is configured now, the light receives power all the time.

Such is NOT the case with my Yaesu FT-857D, when I turn the P.S. OFF, the
meter goes OFF.

I have read and understand the manual that came with the meter.

73 de Dave

I'm am confused as well, there is a 12 volt source on the back of the 897D when using the FP-30?

Are you "tapped" into the power plug?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH I understand what you mean now, yeah the FP-30 is always powered up when plugged into AC, hence you will have power at the DC connector.

Yeah the radio powers down, not the supply (y) leaving the meter lit up

There may be somewhere else on the radio that is only powered when the radio is actually on, like a CAT or DATA port pin (not sure what the 897D has).
It may not supply 13.8v, but something should be there to switch a transistor / small relay etc. that could switch 13.8V supply volts to the meter lamp.
If you are electronics inclined have a poke around with a multimeter...

Basically the problem he has is just like the old stereo tuners or recievers that had the extra ac plugins on the back unlike the new ones the things you had plugged into the old ones such as tape decks CD players ETC would stay on when the receiver was turned off and they had to be powered down manually or indavidually unlike the new ones you hit the main power and waaa laaaa everythings off.

So these FT-897 can be purchased with internal power supplies?? I will be looking for a new radio for the house here in spring and was looking at the older FT-847 another FT-857D or one of these rigs FT-950 FT-2000 TS-2000 but maybe the FT-897D would be right up my alley.

How would you rate the 897 receive filtering user friendlyness or its good points bad points ETC?

Last edited:
How would you rate the 897 receive filtering user friendlyness or its good points bad points ETC?

It's the same as the same as the 857D. It's not nearly as good as a rig like a TS-2000, but it's also 1/2 the price. If you're happy with the 857D, you'll be happy with the 897D. Like anything though, you don't know what you're missing with the better rigs until you try one :)

So these FT-897 can be purchased with internal power supplies??

Tony, check out these pics of my 897 with the power supply:

This is the bottom bay with the cover off, where the supply goes:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-ft-897d-picture612-bottom-radio-where-optional-power-supply-battery-packs-go.jpg

This is the power supply:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-ft-897d-picture611-optional-20-amp-power-supply-attaches-base-radio.jpg

And here it is all put together:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-ft-897d-picture613-optional-power-supply-installed.jpg

Is the only place connecting the power supply (power) to the radio the wire coming out the back?

i.e. If I unplug the internal power supply, but leave the two item connected, it will not pull power or effect the radio?

I am thinking I could run an external battery while leaving the internal power still attached to the bottom for a semi-portable mode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.