• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small Rant

RadioGuy772

Dec 30, 2013
Ok, how to do this without coming off as a complete jerk. I was reading the multiple threads on the forum tonight, and I can't believe at some of the misinformation and things I am seeing. I think it's great that we have a place to share information, but a couple of things I could just not let go after seeing them so many times.

1: The term "SWRs". As in: "I just checked my swrs and they look good!" ---

First of all, there is no such things as "SWRs". It is NOT plural, meaning more than one. It also doesn't belong to somebody. (example: The SWR's)

It is a mathematical equation. It stands for Standing - Wave - Ratio. It is a ratio. Also, a "flat match" or low SWR doesn't mean the antenna is good. Remember.. a dummy load has a perfect SWR but does not put out a signal.

2: The reference to a BJT (solid state like a Texas Star DX500) amplifier being referred to as "Class AB-1". Sorry, no such thing. Yes, it can be biased class AB, not the 1, or the 2 stand for the relationship of elements in a tube when biased. I don't care what the garage amp builder slapped on the label. It just isn't so!

Ok, like I said, don't want to be labeled a jerk, just wanted to put the info out there so it doesn't keep the same cycle going. When I first started out, I used a lot of incorrect terms, and also learned all of the “super duper secrets” of RF, all of which were 11 meter CB nonsense and later learned better.

My point is that it would be cool to see us all educate each other and be some of the best operators out there! Good, clean sounding radios, good advice, set good examples, etc. We would be really well respected on the air waves as well as known on the internet for our ability to stand apart here at the WWRF.

Ok...end of rant. (takes cover)

i think its habit to some because thats what they have heard over the years . or like myself lazy typer.

and some people just dont know the proper terms cause of radio slang .
I wouldnt let it bother you . they mean no harm im sure .

Techs like these uneducated fools, much easier to con and fleece a "good buddy" talking smack.

Some toothless fool walking into the local shop talking all technical n' stuff, would upset the delicate balance.

Reactions: 1 person
I tend to overlook "SWRs" quicker than "RMS", that's one of my pet peeves.

You can actually make the case that you checked SWR at multiple frequencies, there is no excuse or reason for talking about RMS watts.

Ok, how to do this without coming off as a complete jerk. I was reading the multiple threads on the forum tonight, and I can't believe at some of the misinformation and things I am seeing. I think it's great that we have a place to share information, but a couple of things I could just not let go after seeing them so many times.

1: The term "SWRs". As in: "I just checked my swrs and they look good!" ---

First of all, there is no such things as "SWRs". It is NOT plural, meaning more than one. It also doesn't belong to somebody. (example: The SWR's)

It is a mathematical equation. It stands for Standing - Wave - Ratio. It is a ratio. Also, a "flat match" or low SWR doesn't mean the antenna is good. Remember.. a dummy load has a perfect SWR but does not put out a signal.

2: The reference to a BJT (solid state like a Texas Star DX500) amplifier being referred to as "Class AB-1". Sorry, no such thing. Yes, it can be biased class AB, not the 1, or the 2 stand for the relationship of elements in a tube when biased. I don't care what the garage amp builder slapped on the label. It just isn't so!

Ok, like I said, don't want to be labeled a jerk, just wanted to put the info out there so it doesn't keep the same cycle going. When I first started out, I used a lot of incorrect terms, and also learned all of the “super duper secrets” of RF, all of which were 11 meter CB nonsense and later learned better.

My point is that it would be cool to see us all educate each other and be some of the best operators out there! Good, clean sounding radios, good advice, set good examples, etc. We would be really well respected on the air waves as well as known on the internet for our ability to stand apart here at the WWRF.

Ok...end of rant. (takes cover)

I spent 22 years as a professional audio and RF tech in the commercial broadcast industry. How do you think I feel? I gave up beating my head against the wall years ago. All it was getting me was a headache. Now I just keep using the correct terminology in hopes that it will eventually rub off on someone.

BTW you forgot about co-phasing antennas. :censored: They are phased....not co-phased.

OK I am now QRT and standing by for further replies. :headbang

Reactions: 2 people
Instead of ranting why not teach. There are plenty hear willing to learn. Just sayin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

what's the big deal guys?

as long as your coax is cut to the right length, and you get a flat match on your 102" whip; you're all good right?
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated