• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small Rant

My rant is on dorks that twist the phonetic alphabet to try and sound cool. To me, the phonetic alphabet is universally standardized for a reason.

king george 5 able winston douchbag this is willy bob 4 tomatoe ocean zanzibar

I heard one guy stateside spelling out his name, Phil, to a foreign operator that was having a bit of difficulty understanding English to begin with and the 4-land idiot was using the word "pickle" for the letter "P" and followed it up with "Henry" "Internet" and "Location....as in 'What is your location'" yeah he actually said everything in quotes. No wonder the poor foreign operator was confused. Not sure if the stateside operator was trying to be smart or showing how stupid he really was.

And I say dB. The Bel is the unit of measure and needs to be capitalized while the prefix deci, meaning one tenth, is lower case.

exactly, I have had people give me strange looks when they ask about what a dB is,... and I tell them "it's a tenth of a Bel.":tongue:

My rant is on dorks that twist the phonetic alphabet to try and sound cool. To me, the phonetic alphabet is universally standardized for a reason.

Q signals on phone = douchbag operators.

Endless illusions of grandeur chatter = douchbag operators.
Being a recent retiree from the Army, the phonic alphabet is second nature to me and I would somewhat agree with you.

However my fav abuse of the Q codes is "going QRT" and then answering another 10 calls.

@Klondike Mike

You can validate using Q codes on phone all you want, I do not and never have.

If we did go back to Spark Gap...I'd be communicating, would you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Q signals on phone = douchbag operators.

Endless illusions of grandeur chatter = douchbag operators.

The phonetics kill me, especially from the Europeans. They come up with totally off the wall phonetics and it makes it pretty hard to figure out what their actual call sign is. Especially when I'm in my mobile.

I do think it's kind of funny when guys come up with an easy way to remember their call. My Elmer was WB5ONB, and he went by "old nasty boy". One of the guys here locally ends in MRT, and I remember it by Mr. T. Pity the fool!

QSL?

Brett

No Q codes on phone? Please enlighten the hundreds of thousands of amateur/professional OP's who use. Is your recommendation we all switch back to spark-gap transmitters?

Q-signals ,or codes, were NEVER intended for use on phone. They were an abbreviated way of communicating via telegraph and were invented before voice communications were invented. They have worked their way into phone use but why people use them on phone is beyond me. Then again why people do a lot of things that make no sense whatsoever is beyond me as well. Especially those that get all bent out of shape because someone says something they don't agree with. :whistle:

Reactions: Keith Simon
FUNNY THREAD

Back in the day, in bk ny. There was older Italian gentleman who would constantly ask for radio checks. This is how he would ask. "Can you tella me abouta how many numbers I'ma pushin." Since my thirty three plus years off the airwaves, I'm begging to believe the adage "You can never go home", Although I'm certainly having fun trying. To get home that is. Many people told me a lot of things pertaining to cb have changed and I may be in for a shock. Thay were certainly right. Although I must say even though that is true. Now and then, ill make a contact that for a moment or two, gets me there. Home that is.

Great thread! How 'bout these:

"Your signal is 9 over 5." Does that mean 9 dB (1 1/2 S-units) over S5? Like, what, S6.5? Or, 9 S-units over S5 or S14? Huh??

I heard a local guy (a long-time CB'er, believe it or not) in his mobile talking to his wife who was on their base station: "Turn down your squelch. You're breaking up." Huh??

Or the guy who thought ANL meant "Automatic Noise Liminator. Huh??

True stuff. Really.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated