• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snake Radio Customs calls out Mike's Radio Repair LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not spending money on washing clothes. Same shirt two days in a row. I almost got dizzy watching the video with all the herky jerky moving around, flipping switches, etc. It was almost like listening to a 33 1/3 album on 45. Hmmm...

Brett

I often recycle clothes. I wear scrubs to work so if I wear blue jeans and a t-shirt for 2 hours at a school function or running errands not really going to toss those in the lanudry and waste energy or wear and tear. If he puts those on just for the video that can easily be explained away. It looks like he works from home and if so he might like to wear shorts and work topless! I often wear shorts around the home year round or pajama's. Heck sometimes I walk around the house in underwear! LOL

I doubt Mike is cutting into Tim's work load. That is like thinking Rolls Royce and Import Tuners have the same market and one takes away fromt he other. No I think thye both have their own customer base.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
No, i am not trying to start a big snakey bash-fest.

I just found this funny, and thought others might also.

@ 3:00 he calls Mike out and tells him to watch what he says.

You're not starting anything. It's a good idea to call attention to anyone who might be or attemptps to take advantage or charge for work not needed.
I don't think I've ever commented negatively on any "tec" and their work. I could never post a negative statement about someone who works on communications equipment because I know nothing about the field.
On the other hand I have no problem posting about a tec and the work he does if that person did work for me. I can say from my experience that Mike's honest. His work never lets me down. His Price's are fair and has never held a piece of equipment for more than five day's. No one needs to know how to refurbish a transceiver, amp etc etc to figure out if a person is honest.
I haven't watched every clip Mike posted on YouTube but I'd be surprised if he ever used anyone's name when pointing out poor practice's or outright unnecessary work. It doesn't sound like him. Besides being all I said he was he's also modest. Since snake customs mentioned Mike by name I'm assuming he's upset with him. Maybe he's (SC) threatened in some way. Sometimes the truth can be painful. In all honesty I never read a single complaint about Mike's work. On the other hand. I'll leave it there. I never would've seen that clip if you hadn't shared. Thanks

Think he is a little upset mike is taking his cutomers ?

Funny how some folks interpret what other folks say.

Here is Mikes video that snake is complaining about.

Thanks for posting this clip. What a contrast between Tim and Mike.
Demeanor alone says a lot but this clip seems like someone who's truly trying to help. Tim seems a bit off. I think snake customs should've kept the can opener in the kitchen draw. He definitely opened up a can he's probably going to wish he didn't.

i believe he is sponging off his sister. he should be able to get his own place for what he over charges people.

Mike is my hero. So I am a bit biased for sure! Having been involved in aviation, auto-industry, military, business and medicine now I understand the distinct difference of multiple audiences. I also can see things from multiple perspectives other than just my own. You can have one message and tailor it specifically for the audience in question with out flip flopping or being wrong etc.

A lot of people I do not know if it is because of a false sense of frugality or because they are just want to do what must be done to flip a device seem to go cheap. By cheap I mean they only want you to repair or replace what must be replaced to restore an item to normal functioning. You see this sort of thing a lot at the OEM warranty level where a company like GM will have a dealership replace a single piston on an engine even on a high end car like a top of the range Corvette or Cadillac . Few people outside of an OEM or Dealership would even wast the time to replace just one piston the cost savings for them just is not their compared to long term risk of further damage.

If a radio is headed to ebay I am sure again even if it is high end people want to do as little as possible to maximize their profit margin.

To me down time with out a device counts, shipping counts, and I hate paying for bench time twice if I can avoid it. On that same note every-time you repair a radio yo do not need to replace ever part in the radio. At some point you have to go on experience and decide best practice. If my power regulators are gray from aging and heat soak and my lights are flickering I hope my tech replaces them but if they look like new and the output is stable and with in spec why replace them? If I send a radio off to be recapped or aligned I would not expect them to replace the voltage regulators or audio IC if they are still good?

I do not know that I would call Super Snake a restoration shop more of a modification shop. He seldom put's them back to the way the factory built them. He definitely is not a repair shop or diagnostic shop more of a resto-mod shop. He is more of a board swapper, cap and component replacement shop. I like the guy but he is not on the same level as Mike. If it is anything more than an "untied shoe lace" to quote my wife in electronic guise SuperSnake will have to stumble upon it by random parts swapping.

Mike on the other hand is the real deal he is a total professional and a master of his craft of multiple crafts in fact. Mike has the knowledge and ability to design his own gear, build his own gear, repair other peoples gear. He can and does machine his own parts in house on a mill and lathe. He is a shooter, diesel mechanic, electronic repair facility and so much more. Not only can Mike diagnose a problem he can walk other through the skill teaching them how to do the same.

I just recapped a radio and I did not replace anything other than lytics. I did not even realign it yet I will need to send it out for that. On air it sounds great and appears to be on freq. and to be honest since I just replaced the caps I would not expect it to be that far out. I did not touch the voltage regulators or the audio ic anything else. I did not lube anything or re-grease any of the transistors. If I send it to Mike for an alignment and he does that and 6 months later one of my voltage regulators goes bad why would I blame Mike for that? Heck brand new radio's fail all the time.

I do think SS has a different clientele than Mike has and that alone justifies the difference in opinion. Is it prudent to do the ac/dc voltage regulators in a 40-50 year old Cobra 2000 base station at the same time that you recap it? Probably is prudent! Is it necessary or always best practice prob. not! Given what SS charges for his limited service I would expect it. He strikes me as the type that would pad a bill a bit and do things that are not needed but also will not hurt to do. Is it "cheap insurance" or is it "bill padding"???

Based on just these two guys video's not taking into account the huge gap in knowledge and skill between the two men I doubt they would get along well on a deserted island and my money would be on Mike to survive and thrive. Very foolish of Tim to take a jab at a true professional when they where not being personal just giving their professional opinion. From what SS said Mike was not being rude or mean or unprofessional at all and was in no way negative. According to Tim Mike said to a customer "No your not being ripped off but it is not needed or necessary." I fail to understand why Tim would feel so slighted or wronged by this?!?! I normally stick up for Tim but this is a bit to Jerry Springier or Day Time Soap Opera-ish for me! LOL
I had a photo of an ef Johnson kW desk.
The story went that it was salvaged from a pile at a county dump. I think it was Mike who restored it. It looked like a Christmas gift someone had just unpacked. "SNAKE" in this guy's repair name seems to be appropriate.
I was lucky enough to find Mike after dealing with someone who was honest up front.
He told me outright he was a tinkerer. The vfo I purchased for my madison had a problem and the local tinkerer couldn't find the issue. Off it went to Mike and in ten minutes he found three bad traces on the vfo board.
I feel lucky to have found him early on.
Most people who can work on equipment either won't or can't fix tube stuff.
It's nice to be able to send whatever I need fixed to one person. And not worry about getting mislead and or ripped off.

On the other hand I have no problem posting about a tec and the work he does if that person did work for me. I can say from my experience that Mike's honest. His work never lets me down. His Price's are fair and has never held a piece of equipment for more than five day's.

I agree with all of the above except the part about Mike's turnaround time. Lately Mike's turnaround time is terrible. :(

As another forum member mentioned in other thread, the great techs tend to stay busy!

That's strange because I never had to wait an excessively long turnaround time when the great techs at Bells, Bobs and DTB Radio were still accepting mail-in repairs.

A couple of weeks maybe, a couple of months never. :(

That's strange because I never had to wait an excessively long turnaround time when the great techs at Bells, Bobs and DTB Radio were still accepting mail-in repairs.

A couple of weeks maybe, a couple of months never. :(
The herd of techs must thinning out seeing as how Bells, Bobs and DTB Radio are not accepting mail-ins, someone has to pickup that "work load".

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
The herd of techs must thinning out seeing as how Bells, Bobs and DTB Radio are not accepting mail-ins, someone has to pickup that "work load".

And that's where shops like Snake Radio and Fine Tune CB, etc. come in. And don't forget we are talking about a hobby (CB Radio) that's in serious decline.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated