• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SO-50 Pass in New England Tuesday

N3KDJ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2010
PA
The question is CAN I get up at 0445 and drive to the park to work SO-50 at 0515 in the morning tomorrow?? Wife is away...may be..ouch....look at that elevation in the Next Passes box at the bottom for Tuesday 0515.....89 degrees! :w00t:

4743915991_a354d9fa13_b.jpg

SO-50 No joy! No Audio At All?

Well, I made it out there at 0500 this AM, Arrow Antenna and VX-8DR in hand. I spent more then half of the pass listening but heard no audio whatsoever. I did key up with the arming PL for 2 seconds a few times and transmitted but I never heard even a second of audio. Nothing at all.
It's the first time I have looked for SO-50....I did check its status page and double-checked the pass prediction from both SatScape and HRD Satellite Tracking so I know I had that part right. I did read somewhere that the downlink had been reported to have shifted down some and I did try copying the initial frequency into the VFO and tuning down....nothing. Strange....

13:47 local today is a good 50 pass almost a 90 degree pass for me. I will definately try to remember to work it.
I use orbitron to track the passes, easiest to use, at least for me hehe.

Hope to hear you guys on the pass !

It's 13:40- 13:55 Local here and 70 deg elevation. We'll see if I can shoot out at lunch and shout at you.

24 degrees here, hopefully it won't be like AO-27 yesterday when I couldn't get through.

I just downloaded Orbitron yesterday, real nice program. I was using Satscape which is a good program but Orbitron lets you shift the time and see the sats position at any given time

Great Pass

Was a great pass here. I worked Craig, W1MED for a nice contact where we confirmed he was using his VX-8 versus his Wouxun HT.

I am in CT and worked Cleveland, OH and 4 other stations in addition to Craig in Massachusetts- I have to go back to the digital recording and look up the calls and locators to see where the other stations. A fun thing to do at lunch, shoot over to the park and have a satellite QSO and go back to the office!(y)

Audio from Satellite Pass of SO-50 6/29/10

Connecticut Radio from N3KDJ

I just posted the audio from this afternoon's lunchtime QSO on SO-50. The following callsigns which I worked are heard:

N3KDJ (me in CT in FN31fc)
W1MED Craig
K8YSE in OH
WB3CSY in PA
WA4NVM in TN
KB1SSN in MA
KE3LB in PA

Here ya go Phil, I didnt get the whole pass as I got confused on my azimuth since it was right over my head hehehe.

http://w1med.net/blog/media/blogs/a/SO-50_29-June-2010_1747UTC.mp3

I did make it through finally at the end, I thought I heard you just before I lost reception of the sat from some hills, your recording was better than my downlink. That kid was making quite a few contacts and I didn't want to mess one of them up. When I first got on the sat I heard Phil right away.

I tried to get a call back to you Craig, during the pass of AO-27 just later and got interferred with by a bug flying into my mouth and 27 went digital before I stopped gagging

A couple pics from where I was:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/qwazyone-albums-random.html

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated