• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solarcon A99 Experimental Results and Analysis of Ground Plane Radials

kaosfm

Dec 27, 2013
Hello Everyone,

While this is my first post, I have been lurking in the background for some time assimilating as much information as possible. The conversations on this board have been invaluable to assisting my pursuits in this hobby.

A little background...I have been out of the radio game for some time. Back in the 90's I built my own LPFM station from scratch and broadcast for roughly 2 years. In that time, I experimented frequently with different antenna designs. The 10' wavelength for VHF is far easier to work with than the 10-meters or so we deal with at the top of the HF range. I used and/or built a 5/8 wave GP antenna, a 1/2 wave J-Pole, a crossed dipole array, a stacked vertical dipole array, a log-periodic beam, a 1/4 wave GP and various co-phased combinations of all of these.

In the VHF (~100MHz) band I dealt with, nothing beat the performance of the 5/8 wave GP antenna. It had the strongest signal over the broadest region. Living on a hill at the time, I had people listening up to 30 miles away that were line of site. I eventually moved onto college and packed everything away.

I found an old Cobra 25-LTD Classic while going through storage and the radio bug hit me again. I had to find an antenna solution that would work in my circumstances since I am a renter. It could not be a permanent part of the structure, nor could it be overly obtrusive as to draw the ire of the landlord. I eventually settled on the Solarcon A-99. The Antron-99 was the only CB antenna that I remembered by name and figured it would be a good starting point.

I mounted the A99 on an old portable basketball hoop pole, approximately 10ft above ground. I almost immediately made contact with a gentleman 20 miles away barefoot, which surprised me. However, even that low power level was causing bad TVI, bleeding through speakers and causing smoke detectors to beep. This was unacceptable. I installed a 6-turn choke plus snap-on ferrite chokes at the feedpoint. It only partially resolved the issue.

Through my research, I discovered that the ground plane kit for the A99 supposedly aided in the reduction of TVI. I also heard that the kit was useless. It was a little too expensive and obtrusive in my case, so I resolved to build my own GP kit and hopefully resolve the TVI issues. I should mention that I slowly added 5ft mast sections to the top of the basketball pole, eventually setting up 3 of them for a total antenna height above ground of ~ 24 feet.

425.jpg

Being that a low-profile ground plane was needed as a renter, I first tried to follow Yates' write-up where he modeled that an end-fed half-wave vertical like the A-99 only needs a .05 wavelength radial system to be effective. This was a nice hypothesis to work with since it means radials that are barely 2 feet long. I thought, "Why use just 3 or 4 radials when I can use an infinite radial plane?". So I used half sections of curtain rod to support a 22"x22" square of reflective double bubble insulation. You can see it in the pic above. In testing, it did manage to reduce receive noise, flatten out the SWR curve and reduce TVI.

However, Southern California's infamous Santa Ana winds destroyed my infinite ground plane prototype in mere minutes. So I elected to try something a little more conventional. I used the same curtain rod radials, but I insulated them so that they were isolated from the mast and used them as lower supports for a set of four wire radials (see below)

426.jpg

I tied 102 inch (1/4 wave) sections of 18-AWG speaker to a hose clamp right below the tuning rings where the regular GP kit goes. I also wrapped the A-99's mounting base with electrical tape to isolate it from the mast and prevent it from interfering with the ground plane. The angle is a bit steeper than the regular 45 degree angle of the GP kit. That's fine though...it is a lower profile and it makes the antenna look like some kind of beam weapon from a star wars x fighter.

Now, let's get to the performance. First, the TVI issue is gone. I am running 25 times more power now and the TVI is still gone, which is a bonus. I then set up an experiment. I chose a clear freeband frequency and operated in FM mode at 4 watts. I then got in my car and turned on my mobile to the same channel. I kept the radio keyed the whole time of the test. I then drove down each of the four cardinal directions (NWSE) and logged the precise geographical point in which the full-quieting full-bars signal started to swish around and drop to four bars out of five on the signal strength meter.

I performed the above test with the homemade GP radials installed and with the antenna in its stock radial-free condition. In each of the four directions, the A-99 with the GP radials won hands down. The GP version sent the signal out between 20% to 25% further. Not only that, but the signal on the outskirts was far more consistent, suggesting that the radials are indeed cleaning up the radiation pattern, making it more circular and casting the signal towards the ground. Also, the radials flattened out the SWR curve with a 1.1:1 match mid band and a 1.15:1 match on the edges.

I should mention that one of the strongest talkers I chat with on the band lives in an apartment where he hauls out a portable tripod with a 5' mast and the A-99 mounted on it -- so just 5 feet above ground! Despite this and the fact that he's only running 25 or so watts, his signal is one of the strongest I hear. I think I've reached a conclusion:

If your A-99 is mounted one half wavelength or more above ground, get the GP kit or build your own.

If your A-99 is mounted under half a wavelength in height (< 18'), don't bother with the GP kit.

Under 18 ft, I hypothesize that the mirror half of the wave is interacting with the ground in a way that helps the signal get out. Above 18 ft, the mirror half of the wave is in free space and benefits from the use of an equivalent counterpoise in place of the ground itself.

What do you guys think?
-Dr. Nick

427.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Nice write up.
However, I'm very skeptical that there is no TVI, especially at 'running 25 times more power.' Did you talk to your neighbors and ask them; or are you gauging that from your own findings?

Hi Robb,

Good question...this is based purely on my findings on the property. It is entirely feasible that TVI is an issue in neighboring homes. I will have to check with my neighbor. I can simply confirm anecdotally that the following symptoms have diminished at the house:

No more smoke detectors chirping
No more horizontal banding interference on surveillance cameras
No more audible bleed-through on the garage stereo or main home theater
No more modulation of wired speakers

I don't think the addition of the ground plane alone is what dampened the TVI, it was just the "icing on the cake" when combined with extremely low reflected power, multiple uses of coax chokes and snap-on ferrite chokes, antenna isolation from mast, use of a low-pass filter, and finally the use of radiant barrier reflective insulation which likely blocks some TVI from getting into the home. Compared to the problems I was suffering before in the TVI realm, I am convinced that the A-99 can be used with minimum interference.

Regards,
Dr. Nick

Welcome to the forum, kaosfm. Interesting write up.

Robb, while I also tend to think that TVI would be present at the height stated, and running that much power on the system, I do not doubt that he has brought CMC under control. Providing a decent set of radials will often have that effect.
Many folks confuse the two terms - CMC and TVI, not realizing that CMC can be one cause of TVI, and high power and proximity may be yet another, as can excessive modulation, etc.

EDIT: I took too long to post. Nice reply, kaosfm.

Nice job. Glad you got your antenna to the point where it is working well and you can live with it.

One thing to point out but there is about a foot of coax between the matching network and the feedpoint of that antenna. This in conjunction with your added radials is actually longer than 102". Its not that big of a deal with this antenna as it has a matching network that lets you compensate, but just so you know if you do anything with it in the future...

The DB

Welcome.
I could duplicate your setup by adding a Maco boomer kit but use rigid aluminum tubing that I have on hand.
The way you electrically isolated certain parts of your antenna has my interest in particular as I was debating wether or not to isolate the mounting position on my A99. I could kinda match your radial slope angle by pulling down my SS 102" radials on my modified GPK-1 ground plane. I would like the heavyweights here on the forum to weigh in with their thoughts and perhaps some antenna modeling to see just your antenna configuration is doing.
Thanks for the idea. :D

Welcome.
I could duplicate your setup by adding a Maco boomer kit but use rigid aluminum tubing that I have on hand.
The way you electrically isolated certain parts of your antenna has my interest in particular as I was debating wether or not to isolate the mounting position on my A99. I could kinda match your radial slope angle by pulling down my SS 102" radials on my modified GPK-1 ground plane. I would like the heavyweights here on the forum to weigh in with their thoughts and perhaps some antenna modeling to see just your antenna configuration is doing.
Thanks for the idea. :D

Lil'Yeshua, I could model these ideas, but I cannot model the matching device for the A99, so my results will only show a very bad SWR matching result, and thus I cannot produce a bandwidth curve, they're all off the chart.

However, in my real world experience using radials compared to no radials on my A99, I saw the opposite of what kaosfm did in his testing the bandwidth.

Several years ago I inadvertently destroyed my A99 notes folder with years of BW reports for my testing the A99. So, I can't show what I found, but I remember reporting my A99's with no radials always produced a little flatter and wider bandwidth compared to my adding the GPK to the antenna... whether radials were horizontal or slanted down. Somewhere here on WWDX I'm sure I posted about this.

Over the years I tested many ideas with an A99, as I understood the ideas of others, but I don't recall ever seeing radials make any notable difference in performance using my radio...as best I could tell, excepting for the slight improvement in the BW curve using radials that made the graph more bowl shaped.

That said however, locations do make a difference.

Thanks for the report kaosfm, I appreciate folks that test and show evidence of work done in support of their ideas.

Lil'Yeshua, below are some models of an A99 at 32' feet, with no radials, horizontal radials, and slanted down radials at 45* degrees. I see a little difference in the SWR, gain, and pattern, but my real world testing of these setups just didn't show me much difference in performance or I would remember.

View attachment Lil'Yeshua A99 ideas.pdf

but my real world testing of these setups just didn't show me much difference in performance or I would remember.

Indeed. At the end of the day its a single element 1/2 wave vertical antenna. Any differences will not be of any note in the real world.

Always makes me laugh when someone talks about one antenna having an extra 1-2dBi over another like it'll make S1 into S9+. It won't even make it any more than S1.

Its very hard to make a vertical antenna for 11m that can beat a simple dipole for gain.

Reactions: 1 person
Hi Marconi,

Thanks for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated. Indeed, it seems like end-fed half-wave antennas such as the A-99 are extremely sensitive to their respective environments and installation contingencies. The j-pole comes to mind as another ultra-sensitive antenna of this class. Has anyone modeled the A99 against a 27 MHz tuned j-pole? Although they are both end-fed half wave antennas, in my experience the j-pole is less effective. They were pretty inconsistent performance-wise on VHF-FM. I would imagine the weakness is in the matching system. Interestingly enough, I did experiment with adding radials to a j-pole @ 88 MHz and found absolutely no advantage to doing so. So I am not entirely clear as to why the A99 would be so different in this regard -- at least in my case where the radials proved beneficial.

If my living arrangements were different, I would likely go with a 5/8 wave GP antenna. I don't think there is any disagreement out there that these are great performers. A single 5/8 wave Comet antenna during my FM broadcast days outperformed both a stacked vertical dipole array and a 2-element co-linear j-pole, both of which should have won the contest with 3.7 dBi of gain, but the Comet kicked their asses each time!

I'm not sure how the curtain rods affected the signal. They are insulated with electrical tape on each end, so that they neither interface with the mast directly nor the radials. I would have used plastic if I had something rigid enough for the application, but I couldn't find anything. I had initially used the rods as the radials themselves, but found more success using them as supports for the speaker wire radials.

Indeed. At the end of the day its a single element 1/2 wave vertical antenna. Any differences will not be of any note in the real world.

Always makes me laugh when someone talks about one antenna having an extra 1-2dBi over another like it'll make S1 into S9+. It won't even make it any more than S1.

Its very hard to make a vertical antenna for 11m that can beat a simple dipole for gain.

Perhaps you should look into the Sirio Gain Master or a Sirio Vector 4000; as both are at the top of the heap for vertical gain specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0GVZ View Post

I suppose I live in fantasy-land then considering that I witnessed a very tangible and statistically significant increase in the distance covered under a full-bar full-quieting signal. The magic elves must be up to their antenna magic again ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0GVZ View Post

I suppose I live in fantasy-land then considering that I witnessed a very tangible and statistically significant increase in the distance covered under a full-bar full-quieting signal. The magic elves must be up to their antenna magic again ;-)

I think you did very well. Got to take into account line-of-sight of the station in question for your results - perhaps?

On another note, using plastic insulators from the radials to the curtain rods may just be be capacative coupling at RF freqs. This isn't DC current we are dealing with here - after all. Of course, the mast may be interacting with the antenna to some unknown degree for the same reason too.

As a side thought, perhaps moving your choke coil below the mast and the curtain rods might help with whatever common-mode current may still be left on the coax. Removing the curtain rods and substituting it with cheap PVC pipe may also be an improvement as well. Just some food for thought . . .

Perhaps you should look into the Sirio Gain Master or a Sirio Vector 4000; as both are at the top of the heap for vertical gain specs.

Morning ROBB.

Comparing the vertical to a horizontal dipole is apples and oranges.

The gain master seems to be a great vertical, why? It is most efficient.

The vector 4000? Perhaps because both the top and bottom currents are in phase?

Now with the matching networks used for both the gain master and the vector 4000 there is loss.

A simple 1/2 wl dipole is no loss in matching network and about the most efficient antenna you can make for the least amount of money.

As long as it is installed horizontal and gets the added ground gain it is hard to beat. Install it vertical and then the gain master and the vector 4000 may edge out the simple 1/2 wl dipole in performance. But not by enough to warrant spending the amount of money to buy one of those antennas.

When all is said and done, hard to beat the simple, easy in expensive dipole.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.