• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STOP BUYING EXPORT CB TYPE SSB TRANSCEIVERS

Limey! :D

Here's a few examples of great CB radios to use for CB band.

President: Madison/Washington/Grant/P300
Uniden: Grant/Grant XL/PC-244/AX-144
Cobra: 138XLR/139XLR/146GTL/148GTL/2000GTL
Realistic Navaho: TRC-449/TRC-457/TRC-458
Teaberry: Stalker I (1)/Stalker II (2)/Stalker 202
Midland: 79-893
Colt: Black Shadow SSB (Cybernet Chassis)
Lafayette: Telsat SSB-140 (Cybernet Chassis)
Royce: 1-641/1-642
Robyn: T510D/T520D

Honorable mentions: Uniden Washington/Cobra 142GTL/President McKinley/Teaberry Stalker IX (9)/Cobra 140GTL/Sears Roadtalker 40 (slant face)/Robyn T505D.

There are other variations and I know I've missed a few, so y'all don't scream at me for missing one. All of these radios would be fine choices. If you get something of this nature, you better invest some funds into getting it re-capped and aligned. Once that's done, however, it'll give you many years of trouble-free performance.

All of these radios have extra channel capability and an unlocked clarifier.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Apache Labs Anan. Beautiful AM, SSB and FM audio as wide or narrow as you want.

.....and a better receiver than you can get from fine tune cb.:sneaky:
I doubt he was on an SDR tip. But since he wasn't specific I guess your answer to his question is valid. Those Anan's are fetching a a small fortune. Then the computer, cables ect ect. One's looking at big bucks. For $1800 one could get a 7300, Hiel, and the power supply. Brand New. I heard one for the first time on AM and was very impressed. For SSB use it's a no brainier. I've never heard one that sounded poorly. 73

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Limey! :D

Here's a few examples of great CB radios to use for CB band.

President: Madison/Washington/Grant/P300
Uniden: Grant/Grant XL/PC-244/AX-144
Cobra: 138XLR/139XLR/146GTL/148GTL/2000GTL
Realistic Navaho: TRC-449/TRC-457/TRC-458
Teaberry: Stalker I (1)/Stalker II (2)/Stalker 202
Midland: 79-893
Colt: Black Shadow SSB (Cybernet Chassis)
Lafayette: Telsat SSB-140 (Cybernet Chassis)
Royce: 1-641/1-642
Robyn: T510D/T520D

Honorable mentions: Uniden Washington/Cobra 142GTL/President McKinley/Teaberry Stalker IX (9)/Cobra 140GTL/Sears Roadtalker 40 (slant face)/Robyn T505D.

There are other variations and I know I've missed a few, so y'all don't scream at me for missing one. All of these radios would be fine choices. If you get something of this nature, you better invest some funds into getting it re-capped and aligned. Once that's done, however, it'll give you many years of trouble-free performance.

All of these radios have extra channel capability and an unlocked clarifier.

~Cheers~

As always, thank you. .

But I was refering to radios that can handle multiple bands and meters , like a one box wonder. Anything out there? Or do even HAM pros have a dedicated 11m on hand in shack normally?

BTW, the name Heil is reminds me of negative things from history, anyone else?

Most hams that run CB that I know around here run a CB radio separate from their ham rig. If you're talking a modded HF rig to cover 11M (which I don't recommend doing, BTW), you go with something like a Kenwood TS-430S, Icom 725/735, or a Yaesu 747/757(GX).

~Cheers~

Reactions: Tallman
I thought you were joking when you spoke Tejas? I didnt get any of what you just said felle o_O:LOL:

The anan is a software defined radio. Unfortunately they have discontinued their lower end models. Hopefully they come out with something more affordable in the future. It is the all in one box solution.
I doubt he was on an SDR tip. But since he wasn't specific I guess your answer to his question is valid. Those Anan's are fetching a a small fortune. Then the computer, cables ect ect. One's looking at big bucks. For $1800 one could get a 7300, Hiel, and the power supply. Brand New. I heard one for the first time on AM and was very impressed. For SSB use it's a no brainier. I've never heard one that sounded poorly. 73

The cable requirements consist of a cat 5 cable, an adapter to plug in a mic and an external speaker. There are some used rigs popping up since the new 8000 was released. The drawback is that they don't have the product support that flex does so you're mostly on your own. I don't mind that but it isn't for everyone.

I haven't heard a 7300 on AM yet hopefully they've got a winner there. I think more people might try AM on HF if there were more capable radios being sold. The more serious CBer might be more inclined to buy one vs an export. Some hams would be mad about a cber using the radio of their dreams but if it cleans up the band I'm all for it. Can you imagine going to 38lsb and not having to use your clarifier?

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Most hams that run CB that I know around here run a CB radio separate from their ham rig. If you're talking a modded HF rig to cover 11M (which I don't recommend doing, BTW), you go with something like a Kenwood TS-430S, Icom 725/735, or a Yaesu 747/757(GX).

~Cheers~

Ok so similar to my audiophile days, a seperate unit for each band is best . I get it,

Reactions: ExitThirteen
10M "exports" are junk. Absolute junk. Poor designs in the mixing stages and the fact that the band pass circuits from factory allow 10 AND 11M frequencies to pass thru, will let a "spur" leak thru on the 10M band from 11M. Almost all of the galaxy/ranger/connex radios, save for the actual CB radios suffer from this flaw. Nasty, drifty, warbly TX... poor RX sensitivity and/or selectivity... all for less than 1 S unit of output. Not worth it. Get a REAL CB if you're gonna use it on CB band. D858, MB8719, D2824, PLL02A are all good chassis to invest in.

If a person HAS to have extra output, get a decent HF rig and save some money while having nice clean output with very little or no harmonic "leakage" or "spurs".

No one will ever convince me otherwise. Just my .02 worth. :D

~Cheers~
I wouldn't dream of convincing you; you have both taught me things and helped me out with radio problems many times. I appreciate it.

Haven't seen the spurs as you've mentioned. Are we talking about IMD spurs?

I agree that they drift; cannot say I've encountered any warble issues unless the radio had a bad power cord or connections.

I agree that hacking a CB into something that renders it freakish is something to be avoided. I'm sure you've had to restore more radios that I have and have seen more mayhem as well.

Seems to me that whatever issues an export has should have found more remedies so far, rather than having to hack an otherwise decent CB into something it wasn't meant to be.

BTW - do you also feel that the 360 FM is also faulty?

Last edited:
You can certainly go that route if you like, I personally don't condone doing that sort of thing. Might upset a few ham guys in the process too. But there are MANY people that do run HF rigs on 11M.... hear them all the time out in the DX. It's just something I wouldn't do is all. As long as the signal is good and clean, that's what matters to me the most. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: Tallman
Robb,
The spur I'm referring to is a small spur that shows up in the 10M band when the radio is put on a spectrum analyzer. It's caused by a poorly designed mixing scheme.

Here's a video on this issue.

I checked this for validity, and he's right on the button with it. I show a small spur on the 10M voice band. The radios I used were a Galaxy 99 and a Galaxy 95T.

Hope this helps.

(Edit) The Superstar 360FM is the same basic board as the Galaxy 77/88/99. No bueno. (n)

~Cheers~

Last edited:
You can certainly go that route if you like, I personally don't condone doing that sort of thing. Might upset a few ham guys in the process too. But there are MANY people that do run HF rigs on 11M.... hear them all the time out in the DX. It's just something I wouldn't do is all. As long as the signal is good and clean, that's what matters to me the most. :)

~Cheers~

Slightly off topic, what does it mean when one gets subjected to radio abuse , recently I was yelled at and shouted at, they said I was a HAM radio guy, what would that mean?
It was 11m cb guy abusing me.

Honestly couldn't answer that question, since I wasn't there! :LOL:

Either the CB guy is jealous of what you have, or you were acting like you're some sort of purist.... which you don't come off acting like you're a purist, at least not here on the forums, anyhow. :D

Hard to say, mate.

~Cheers~

CB and ham aren't that much different these days. There is some animosity between the 2 groups because some have had bad experiences with operators on the other side of the fence. Most of us just enjoy radio and don't care what you do as long as you aren't causing problems.

Robb,
The spur I'm referring to is a small spur that shows up in the 10M band when the radio is put on a spectrum analyzer. It's caused by a poorly designed mixing scheme.

Here's a video on this issue.

I checked this for validity, and he's right on the button with it. I show a small spur on the 10M voice band. The radios I used was a Galaxy 99 and a Galaxy 95T.

Hope this helps.

~Cheers~

I'm glad that guy made the video. I had saw this happen but never had an explanation for it. People that had spent good money on these radios just wrote it off as a bad tune up or something else wrong with my radio....or that I was just a crazy person spreading lies.

Honestly couldn't answer that question, since I wasn't there! :LOL:

Either the CB guy is jealous of what you have, or you were acting like you're some sort of purist.... which you don't come off acting like you're a purist, at least not here on the forums, anyhow. :D

Hard to say, mate.

~Cheers~

Purist? AHHAHA damn right I aint. You made laugh,.:cry::LOL:

Reactions: ExitThirteen
Agreed, 543.

And to be clear, I didn't bring up the video to be "holier than thou", but rather a legit reason to argue the purchase of an export radio. Pretty much all export radios have a variation of this mixing scheme, so almost all of those radios can potentially have this problem to some degree. That's why I'm a big advocate of running a real CB or an HF rig on 11M.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.