• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 or Galaxy 94HP?

Stryker 955, the galaxy radios don't do as well on ssb IMO. But might want to do some more research about the 955, I have seen quite a few QC issues being talked about. The only radio that has held up for me so far with heavy use in the mobile and plenty of bouncing around is the Optima mk3. Simple yet works well. If you are dead set between the 2 you have listed go with the I would go with the stryker 955 and have a good tech align and tune it and go over the whole radio. JMO.

Reactions: Galaxy 959
Been looking at these for a while. Can't ever have too many radios right? I keep telling myself that anyway lol. Stryker 955 that is. Other than a few QC issues they seem to be a great radio for both am and ssb use. Having a good tech go over the radio and tuning and aligning it would be what I would do. Who you choose is up to you, do your research and choose carefully. Don't get sucked in with the whack pack crap either, a simple tune and maybe an alignment and a good check over of the radio should be all that's needed. You might be able to do this own your own if SMT doesn't bother you as the resistors are small! Anyway good luck and keep us updated. God bless.

Either radio, make sure it has an alignment. Make sure that they don't try to re engineer the output section in any way. Last few radios I have seen insides. They have the final section in an enclosed case inside radio due to isolation/ oscillation problems. Biasing should be set to manufacture spec. Not where you see the most watts. I have seen a few guys do this. Cranking way up. Does a bit more, but sucker gets hot quick. Unless you like replacing final and driver sections on a regular basis.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I've ran both, but sold the Stryker. I really like the 94HP. It's quieter and has much better rejection. The Stryker was a wee bit more stable on SSB. The 94HP is a horse compared to the flimsy Stryker. I'd expect it to last longer in a mobile environment.

The 94HP has some potent output and is fan cooled. To me, the 955 was a noisy, illuminated light show trinket radio.

Mudfoot for 99% ssb use would the stryker be worth the money at $400. Or would something like the alinco sr8t be a better option. Price isn't that much different between the 2. I am not a big fan of all the razzle dazzle an echo and beeps, but I am interested in ssb performance. Any new radio I get will be for mostly base operation. Thanks for any and all replies and god bless.

Thanks Mudfoot! Just what I needed to hear. As much as I would like to get the icom 7200, it's a bit much for what I will use it for. Just need a good solid ssb radio that is easy to use. Thanks for the reply.

I love my 955. It Beats the many Galaxy radios I've owned over the years in every way. I've never had the 94HP though. I've talked all over the world with this Stryker and have received nothing but glowing reports on stability and audio quality. I operate 80% on SSB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated