• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker modulation in ref to TS 500DX amp.

.... Each DEI has hand written 58 on them. Assume its there rating?

I wouldn't assume that. I don't know the details but there's a measurement that builders make to match the transistors, that's probably what those numbers represent but it may be a good idea to do a little research to be sure.

The meter you are using is not an active PEP meter and therefore will not show you true PEP - but it is still a useful tool.
the swan he is using and its yaesu counterpart are true pep meters with a active op-amp circuit with rise and fall attack when in pep mode and a dam good one at that ..not to be confuse with the non pep model that looks the same but has no pep switch

limey
your 955 will not swing like a hooker like a magnum does as others have pointed out when the radio is wound back...
the radio is set up for 100% modulation with the power control at max at what ever the am/fm carrier level is (12w?) ..
as you reduce the power control its a pissing match if its 100% modulation at say 4w carrier or 1w carrier..most 10m/cb radios are not good at maintaining the fabled ""4:1 ratio" when the rf power control is reduced
the other factor is a linear amp is not so linear at its min and max power..all linear amps are only "linear " at a certain power level range ..most cbers have no clue as to how to run a amp in its linear conduction range ..certainty not flat out "the needle is in the corner boys" range ..sorry had to add that there :)

the only true measure of your pep or "swing" is a scope ..
no pep meter is fast enough to capture the peak envelope ..however its a fair "assumption " meter :D

most cbers that use a scope dont even know how to measure pep with one .,.
if they did they would be disappointed that the "4:1 ratio" does not always apply when it comes to carrier vs 100% modulation

using your voice or 44444 or 99999 or auuudddiiiooo is not measuring anything but complex harmonics

looks like you are having fun ..i see you post every day
backing into the corner

Last edited:
Original "WM-20000" model is average-reading only.

The later "WM-2000A" requires that you plug in the power cord. It has an active peak-reading circuit that should show true PEP when it's working right.

Selecting "RMS" on the front panel allows you to use the meter without a source of power, but only for average-reading measurements.

the swan he is using and its yaesu counterpart are true pep meters with a active op-amp circuit with rise and fall attack when in pep mode and a dam good one at that ..not to be confuse with the non pep model that looks the same but has no pep switch

limey
your 955 will not swing like a hooker like a magnum does as others have pointed out when the radio is wound back...
the radio is set up for 100% modulation with the power control at max at what ever the am/fm carrier level is (12w?) ..
as you reduce the power control its a pissing match if its 100% modulation at say 4w carrier or 1w carrier..most 10m/cb radios are not good at maintaining the fabled ""4:1 ratio" when the rf power control is reduced
the other factor is a linear amp is not so linear at its min and max power..all linear amps are only "linear " at a certain power level range ..most cbers have no clue as to how to run a amp in its linear conduction range ..certainty not flat out "the needle is in the corner boys" range ..sorry had to add that there :)

the only true measure of your pep or "swing" is a scope ..
no pep meter is fast enough to capture the peak envelope ..however its a fair "assumption " meter :D

most cbers that use a scope dont even know how to measure pep with one .,.
if they did they would be disappointed that the "4:1 ratio" does not always apply when it comes to carrier vs 100% modulation

using your voice or 44444 or 99999 or auuudddiiiooo is not measuring anything but complex harmonics

looks like you are having fun ..i see you post every day
backing into the corner

Yes, I agree. So the 955 isn't giving me the "correct" 1:4 ration modulation at 4 or 5 watts, thats why the amp is peaking at 250w at 100w dk or similar with 80w dk. The 80w dk on the amp is when the RF power on the 955 is at its lowest setting.

Original "WM-20000" model is average-reading only.

The later "WM-2000A" requires that you plug in the power cord. It has an active peak-reading circuit that should show true PEP when it's working right.

Selecting "RMS" on the front panel allows you to use the meter without a source of power, but only for average-reading measurements.

Indeed, mines the wm2000A model.

The meter you are using is not an active PEP meter and therefore will not show you true PEP - but it is still a useful tool.

** EDIT If the SWAN is a true Active PEP meter then all of this is hogwash** :)

*Generally* speaking, that type of circuit will show ~70% of true PEP.
That said -
The Dead Key (DK) / PEP numbers you listed are pretty consistently showing ~2.5:1 ratio, which is not unexpected (and not bad/wrong). The 100w DK/PEP numbers you listed also align with the numbers shown w/o the amp engaged. They also represent linearity.

Here are a few theoretical numbers to consider based on information provided;
View attachment 21451

Unless you have a true active PEP meter all of the above will be relative by a few percent. I wouldn't push a 4xDEI 2879 past 400 watts for regular usage and expect it to last. The only difference between 350 watts vs 500 watts is service life of the amp.

Interesting observation, with ECHO on the 955 turned on then it swings much higher 19W to 60W pep; 10W to 37W pep; 5W to 20W pep.

All of the Anytone clones i have heard seem to have more modulation with the echo on & turned down but they go dull lacking trebble,
turned off you get a wider flatter sounding response lacking oomph,

i never tested one for AM modulation but i don't doubt what you say Limey.

Reactions: Limeybastard
All of the Anytone clones i have heard seem to have more modulation with the echo on & turned down but they go dull lacking trebble,
turned off you get a wider flatter sounding response lacking oomph,

i never tested one for AM modulation but i don't doubt what you say Limey.
i agree with that ...not sure about the other however as i never use echo on air ..hate the stuff and would not be caught dead doing it knowing on a antenna..must do a sweep as to why .
you on facebook bob?

Im not on facebook m8, people keep trying to lure me in,
one local ham made me an account but im having none of it :(

not sure if the dull sound is just bad cap value choices in the echo circuit or a bandwidth limitation of the echo chip, never looked into it,

i 100% agree on echo,
i was a pioneer of echo in this area back in the day with watkins copycats & using akai 4000d's and later my dennon 3 head tape decks with the motor slowed down, slowing any kind of bbd echo down,

somebody should have shot me, i can't stand echo now,
don't even like a lively sounding room,

brings back memories of my youth & sexy sounding females that were far from how they sounded.

Im not on facebook m8, people keep trying to lure me in,
one local ham made me an account but im having none of it :(

not sure if the dull sound is just bad cap value choices in the echo circuit or a bandwidth limitation of the echo chip, never looked into it,

i 100% agree on echo,
i was a pioneer of echo in this area back in the day with watkins copycats & using akai 4000d's and later my dennon 3 head tape decks with the motor slowed down, slowing any kind of bbd echo down,

somebody should have shot me, i can't stand echo now,
don't even like a lively sounding room,

brings back memories of my youth & sexy sounding females that were far from how they sounded.
lol yeah back in the late 1980s when i got into cb i went to a cb club meeeting and stuff like echo was not even a word on cb here back then ..
told every one i had a echo chamber and no one believed it (i was a younger punk version of what i am today)
..so went home to my flat and got on a handheld in the bathroom (which are tiny compared to American ones) and sat there on the toilet talking away to everyone across the city (i lived on the highest hill in the center of town)...
became a superstar of cb from then on ..had the best sounding potty in town
the reverb was stellar
anyway this is limeys thread back to the show

lol yeah back in the late 1980s when i got into cb i went to a cb club meeeting and stuff like echo was not even a word on cb here back then ..
told every one i had a echo chamber and no one believed it (i was a younger punk version of what i am today)
..so went home to my flat and got on a handheld in the bathroom (which are tiny compared to American ones) and sat there on the toilet talking away to everyone across the city (i lived on the highest hill in the center of town)...
became a superstar of cb from then on ..had the best sounding potty in town
the reverb was stellar
anyway this is limeys thread back to the show

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and Bob's post . Please continue.

lmao @ yeti,

you reminded me of been a young kid in the late 70's when i thought it was a great idea to move my rig out of the house into the touring caravan we never used down the yard,
much better for eyeballs;) & put up my first proper outside antenna,

the small gas fire in there sounded like some kind of spring line reverb when i talked into the top & held the mic to the bottom,
i had locals completely fooled, bit uncomfortable laying on the floor though,

Not as effective as holding a tall glass over my base mic goose neck & moving it back & forth while winding the power up & down to simulate a hollow sounding DX fading while doing my best Black Swan dx Perth western Australia accent,
there was no 43 division back then,

that one even had my local old timer ham buddy taking my qsl details,
when i came clean he would not believe it was me until i demonstrated it,
fooled by a kid with ears a glass and some hand coordination,
he never forgot that evening.

Happy days.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Great post Bob, my first rig was a Fidelity 3000 home base unit, the magmount was on a biscuit tin ( cookies tin) outside the 1st floor (2nd floor) window. Back in the early 80s. I vaguely remember that on either low or high channels one of the two, no or low power would show on the meter. I believe it was fm based radio. Had lots of fun with the locals.

i started out on a quality street tin & dv27 in my bedroom limey,
bloke across the road came over to set my vswr with his swaar meter, the best we could get was just below 3:1,

i remember his next move like it was yesterday as he turned the calibrate knob down so it read 1:1, removed the meter & told me it was tuned, i could talk nearly 1/2 mile,

Fidelity 3000FM had my favorite cb s-meter.

Reactions: Limeybastard
i started out on a quality street tin & dv27 in my bedroom limey,
bloke across the road came over to set my vswr with his swaar meter, the best we could get was just below 3:1,

i remember his next move like it was yesterday as he turned the calibrate knob down so it read 1:1, removed the meter & told me it was tuned, i could talk nearly 1/2 mile,

Fidelity 3000FM had my favorite cb s-meter.

Did you just say Quality Street? OMG! Those memories. The kidney shaped chocs were my fave. Or was that Roses?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.