• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker modulation in ref to TS 500DX amp.

Rowntree Mackintosh had a factory in my town,
lots of cbers round here started out on a quality street tin,

They had a starduster m400 on the roof transmitting a data stream on 26.995 for years, never figured out where it was going but not more than 2-3 miles in any direction,
it was my signal source for aligning export cb rx IF strips before i got a signal generator,

over the years the wind dismantled & bent the starduster but it still kept transmitting,

The kidney shape was brazil nut shaped & originally had a brazil nut in caramel, later changed to hazel nut.

Reactions: Limeybastard
Rowntree Mackintosh had a factory in my town,
lots of cbers round here started out on a quality street tin,

They had a starduster m400 on the roof transmitting a data stream on 26.995 for years, never figured out where it was going but not more than 2-3 miles in any direction,
it was my signal source for aligning export cb rx IF strips before i got a signal generator,

over the years the wind dismantled & bent the starduster but it still kept transmitting,

The kidney shape was brazil nut shaped & originally had a brazil nut in caramel, later changed to hazel nut.
Was that up North in Leeds Halifax area?

So in a nutshell, the swing on my 955 is shite, thus the amp dont swing much either. I did some more tests using an Ameritron oil filled dummy load. No amp used and echo function turned off on Stryker 955.

5W Deadkey = 10W pep
10W = 20W pep
20W = 38W pep.

Looks like the radios is 1 to 2 ratio setup.

If I'm not mistaken that is an older meter is it not? Maybe try and check that the meters PEP function is working, take some readings with it turned off and compare to what you're getting now.

Im still not getting it ( im thick as a plank ).about the 1.4 modulation , if the Stryker 955 is swinging 4-40w which in turn makes the amp deadkey 100 swing to 400 pep is okay?

I thought the 4 DEI tranisistors required tops 7W each thus 28W max?

4-40? How did that happen?
A 100 watt carrier, to 400 PEP would be sweet.
the swan he is using and its yaesu counterpart are true pep meters with a active op-amp circuit with rise and fall attack when in pep mode and a dam good one at that ..not to be confuse with the non pep model that looks the same but has no pep switch
You might need the AMC adjusted; is the mic gain all the way up?

Are you getting poor reports when you ask for a radio check?

Last edited:
Sounds like it's working. Maybe one of those guys that are always quoting the spec sheets can explain what's going on here.

I did, it uses two pots that work in conjuction with each other. Otherwise it was deadkeying at 4 or 5 w on lowest power and swining to 10 PEP before.

A Stryker 955HP? Sorry I've got a terrible memory.

AM output power:(MIC gain all the way down)
Choose channel 2

Adjust to maximum power level using knob, then adjust W11 to get power 15W plus or minus 0.5W,then check
output power for channel 1 and channel 3, it should still be over 12 Watts,and current draw under 5.5 Amps

low power:(MIC gain all the way down)
Still choose channel 2

Adjust to minimum power level with knob,
should get power of 0.5W-3W,if not readjust (W11? manual unclear) current draw should be less than 3A

AM High power modulation: Adjust dead key using power knob, manual says all the way up, but for this AMC adjustment test we want a low dead key ;), input AAUUUUDDIIIOOOOO signal to MIC, adjust V10 for PEP power equal to 1:4 key vs. "audiooo" (or just max thing thing out and see what the radio "swings to", then turn it back down, so no splat splat from the expat, lol) current draw should remain less than 6 Amps,W501 must be in the middle position,do not adjust it..

Fine-Tune V10 for your 4:1 or "swing ratio" {must have a true peak reading meter or oscilloscope}, some would say the 5:1 ratio is ludicrously better, louder, sometimes people just don't care how dirty the signal is, as long as it is loud, if so then the "ratio" becomes irrelevant, they set the dead-key low, and let that meter swang, the bigger the reading, the better...

I know a guy, his station keys 50 watts and swings to 500 (1,000 pep) he is the loudest around, but in the style of channel six.

Last edited:
A Stryker 955HP? Sorry I've got a terrible memory.

AM output power:(MIC gain all the way down)
Choose channel 2

Adjust to maximum power level using knob, then adjust W11 to get power 15W plus or minus 0.5W,then check
output power for channel 1 and channel 3, it should still be over 12 Watts,and current draw under 5.5 Amps

low power:(MIC gain all the way down)
Still choose channel 2

Adjust to minimum power level with knob,
should get power of 0.5W-3W,if not readjust (W11? manual unclear) current draw should be less than 3A

AM High power modulation: Adjust dead key using power knob, manual says all the way up, but for this AMC adjustment test we want a low dead key ;), input AAUUUUDDIIIOOOOO signal to MIC, adjust V10 for PEP power equal to 1:4 key vs. "audiooo" (or just max thing thing out and see what the radio "swings to", then turn it back down, so no splat splat from the exapt, lol) current draw should remain less than 6 Amps,W501 must be in the middle position,do not adjust it.. Fine-Tune V10 for your 4:1 or "swing ratio", some would say the 5:1 ratio is ludicrously better, while unsavory, likely not as clean but "louder".. That is how clipped limiters happened, I better stop giving bad advice!

You are such a gentleman, I am such a clown, cheers.

You are such a gentleman, I am such a clown, cheers.
Don't be so harsh on yaself, ya Limey Bastard! Seriously, it's nothing but a thing!

I hope we can make DX contact one day, that is why I try to help out everyone.
It makes me happy when people get to enjoy their radio, because of the help I've gotten here I was able to get on-air again, and help a few friends also! :)

I'm only human though, and I've given incorrect information out
(through ignorance & ego) in the past, & I apologize to the other WWDX members for that, I try to help when possible and keep things objective, like data; instead spewing a bunch of subjective opinions.

I like it when my Meter Swings, & DX-Land Agrees! I'm back in the bushes, with my knees in the breeze, lol, and I just got down!

Get out there, spike the mic, run that radio, use it and enjoy it brother!
I'm 10-10 on the side, reading the mail!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated