• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker sr-655HP HELP PLEASE !!!

AM Modulation Adjustments are W10 (AM ANL) & W501 (AM Mod) Both need to be adjusted to
obtain maximum modulation.
AM High Power Carrier: W11
AM Low Power Carrier: W1
Gently spreading L15, L16, L17, L20 & L31 will also help increase peak power.

This is what cbtricks says to do but I don't understand the W10 (am anl) adjustment. All I have ever do is turn up the modulation pot.

Gently spreading L15, L16, L17, L20 & L31 will also help increase peak power
Bad, bad suggestion. Don't care if it is CBTricks or someone else, that was bad advice. You will only allow crap watts out of the radio when you defeat the 54mhz trap filter by spreading the coils. You want advice? Then don't do that. If you did that; then put them back the way they were. Those watts you might be seeing on your watt meter aren't even on the CB band when those coils are spread, because a watt meter cannot tell the difference. Watt meters cannot tell the difference in either 27mhz or 54mhz, they just read power. That 54mhz filter is in there to keep harmonics created by the TX output circuit from being transmitted out. If you don't trust me, then ask someone else that knows and they will tell you the same thing. Shops do that coil spreading thing to impress customers - who don't know any better - with higher watt meter readings.

If you want to put a 'swing mod' in this radio, it is a Stryker radio. It isn't necessary to do. The BEST results for swing is when the TX coils are peaked. If you don't have the equipment (watt meter, signal generator, dummy load, and the experience to do it right); then I would send it to a shop. You can turn up the mod pot (W501); but be prepared to put it back. W10 ANL/AM sounds like it is the Automatic Noise Limiter for AM RECEIVE; that would have nothing to do with AM transmit modulation.

These radios are built to be 'full tilt boogie'; so aren't you pleased with it?

Last edited:
do not know where that info was found on cbtricks. I have been on it since 2001 and the only thing I can say is an individual posted that info. do not see that in cbtricks manual section. like Robb stated a bad idea to spread any coils. will give you fauls watts and cause bleedover.

How in the world did we get to spreading coils now. i never said a thing about coils spreading any coils or even looking at any coils. What are you all smoking ????? All I asked about was the modulation pot adjustment and the hi and low power pots. Yes it is on cbtricks under stryker radios if you can't find it i feel for you. :headbang

Reactions: 805centralcal
For your info this radio doesn't need aligned as it is dead on frequency out of the box. All I was asking for here is some info on the pots to adjust but forget it must be to tough of a question for you guys.

Being dead on frequency means nothing. If you are overdriving the radio it creates splatter. Your signal which should be 3kHz wide becomes 20kHz wide or more.

Have you ever been on a channel and someone nearby has been splattering all over the station you're trying to hear? The reason why is because they didn't set it up properly, overdriving the audio and the PAs, nothing to do with being on frequency.

All I was asking for here is some info on the pots to adjust but forget it must be to tough of a question for you guys.
Its nothing of the sort. Its that we're technically competent enough to know you need to use the right gear or you end up with a bag of crap splatter box. Don't blame us because you don't like the answer.

AM Modulation Adjustments are W10 (AM ANL) & W501 (AM Mod) Both need to be adjusted to
obtain maximum modulation.
AM High Power Carrier: W11
AM Low Power Carrier: W1
Gently spreading L15, L16, L17, L20 & L31 will also help increase peak power.

This is what cbtricks says to do but I don't understand the W10 (am anl) adjustment. All I have ever do is turn up the modulation pot.

How in the world did we get to spreading coils now. i never said a thing about coils spreading any coils or even looking at any coils. What are you all smoking ????? All I asked about was the modulation pot adjustment and the hi and low power pots. Yes it is on cbtricks under stryker radios if you can't find it i feel for you. :headbang
You put it in there.
Perhaps you should be more careful yourself?

Yes I know it needs converted that is a simple surface mount resistor removal. I don't need a tech as I can manage a pot. What is the problem here with you guys??? This isn't a very hard question and all I keep getting is the run around or go to a tech or some sarcasm.

Wow ok cool, enjoy your new radio.

Just leave it alone...monkeying with the AMC until the meter swings all the way to the right isn't going to get you out any better. They come from the factory adjusted very close to correct in this chassis.

Indeed. It always amazes me how people without the proper test gear think they can do a better job.

Some people will never learn. They think that them 10 extra watts is gonna cut through the rest of the stuff and get out darnit. Crank away my friend, be advised that stryker does a pretty good job of getting their radios to the correct wattage from the factory as to not over stress the components. Simply cranking the mod limiter to its max is going to make the speech compression components run hotter and not last as long. I may have asked this already , but what equipment do you have to set the modulation to its correct level?? If nothing, then you are simply wasting your time. JMO but like posted above. Leave it alone and just use the damn thing. See what kind of reports you get. And if you really are a Decent tech, you probably wouldn't be asking where the adjustment pots are would you??? Just out of curiosity, have you looked through any of the paperwork, as I know my radio came with a full schematic and all vr pots were labeled in the radio. Good luck and god bless.

A local self appointed tech gets old radios,cranks everything up all the way and then sells them to those who like to get out and sound LOUD and who are ignorant of a rightly tuned radio. Oh they may last a week or two,maybe half a day then they go POP!!! I've seen the insides of one of those radio's after they've died. Toasted parts,some even boil their insides out.

The question you must ask yourself is do I want to sound good and have a radio that will perform for years or do you want to have an obnoxiously over modulated radio that sounds horrible to others and keep a tech busy fixing your fried radio over and over repeatedly ? (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.