• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stupid things seen or heard at a CB shop

I thought this was pretty funny.
The guy was all gung-ho when he got this radio in the mail and now he has it up for sale cuz he's not too happy with the performance compared to his other one which he sold due to NRO pressure. I guess some people have to learn things the hard way.
Screenshot_20171124-173053.jpg

I thought this was pretty funny.
The guy was all gung-ho when he got this radio in the mail and now he has it up for sale cuz he's not too happy with the performance compared to his other one which he sold due to NRO pressure. I guess some people have to learn things the hard way.
View attachment 22068

Soooo... How is that a stupid thing heard at a CB Shop? It sounds to me more like some sort of a shot in your little personal fight with Mr. White.

Soooo... How is that a stupid thing heard at a CB Shop? It sounds to me more like some sort of a shot in your little personal fight with Mr. White.
I don't have a beef with anybody unless they are deliberately trying to mislead people . I'm just a realist.
I guess the stupid thing I heard at the CB shop was that by simply changing a couple capacitors without altering the AMC circuit Mike could supposedly achieve High Fidelity audio. That was the funny part but Dave took it seriously and was dazzled by fancy looking test equipment. If it was that simple to achieve that level of fidelity, Dave would still be using this radio instead of selling it.

What's really funny is he was bragging about how great it was in that text message but he was secretly telling a friend of mine how awful it was and how many problems he had with it when he thought I wasn't listening to him.
I guess I'm just a stickler for honesty which seems to be lacking in the radio world.

It just goes to show that just because somebody has a bunch of fancy test equipment it doesn't always mean they know exactly what to do with it beyond a factory alighnment.

I don't have a beef with anybody unless they are deliberately trying to mislead people . I'm just a realist.
I guess the stupid thing I heard at the CB shop was that by simply changing a couple capacitors without altering the AMC circuit Mike could supposedly achieve High Fidelity audio. That was the funny part but Dave took it seriously and was dazzled by fancy looking test equipment. If it was that simple to achieve that level of fidelity, Dave would still be using this radio instead of selling it.

What's really funny is he was bragging about how great it was in that text message but he was secretly telling a friend of mine how awful it was and how many problems he had with it when he thought I wasn't listening to him.
I guess I'm just a stickler for honesty which seems to be lacking in the radio world.

It just goes to show that just because somebody has a bunch of fancy test equipment it doesn't always mean they know exactly what to do with it beyond a factory alighnment.

2510 radios are garbage they where made defective from factory, never recalled. not a techs fault.

2510 radios are garbage they where made defective from factory, never recalled. not a techs fault.
I agree they were made defective from the factory. It should also be noted that if it was so simple to overcome those manufacturer's defects that everyone would be doing it. It appears that this is not the case.

What were the defects?
2510 specific faults: *see note at end
B+ always on the final
Low level AM modulation by unbalancing the balanced modulator.
Well known but easily fixed audio feedback loop.
Deaf as a board compared to even a Cobra 25GTL
Regulators in the PLL/mezzanine board fail, occasionally taking the PLL with them.
What over voltage protection?
Back light cooks the mounting
Display failures due to a bad ribbon connector or the display.
The display will freeze and never be the same. Likewise the display will cook and fail completely.
Microphones were junk. Element, switches and cord were all failure points. Otherwise when it was working it sounded great.
What a convoluted tuning procedure to get the carrier oscillators(s) the same distance from filter center that could be as much as 500 cycles out of spec.
Chassis ground is board ground is logic ground is ground. Ground a chassis screw and apply a hot lead .
This necessarily made eliminating vehicle noise a one sided deal. Kill it at the source or not at all.
Buttons, switches, potentiometers, potentiometer switches all sourced as cheap as possible and none available on the common market for years. When they did come available they were the same crap or worse than originally installed.
The rear accessory plug was junk.
Simply by design the phase noise of the synthesizer and its broadbanded nature on receive limited the selectivity and sensitivity.

My one working 2510 has the B+ relay switched.
The major electrolytics replaced/upgraded
The audio feedback diode/resistor
The filter deserves its own post.
All the front panel switches and potentiometers have been replaced at least once.
It's on its third display
Rit is now a Tit
ECG 340 is the predrive
Q101 the first RF is now a low noise FET (3SK35?) This took a complete redesign that again is a whole subject to itself.
So is the 2510 and its ilk junk? No, with the above qualifications.

My subjective opinion is that the design was solid but compromised first by its broadband nature and then by the button sorters, bean counters, and cost accounting pencil pushers. Where ever a penny could be shaved it was. Simply by offering a more robust component list and more durable display it could have been a benchmark radio. Instead it exists in myth, legend and lore as a unique but flawed offering to a narrow niche market . That alone may be the single most important limitation of the radio.
*Even I am going to miss a few annoying faults and fixes.
I thought the message was clear enough without diving further into minutia ...

Reactions: LeapFrog
The biggest defects I've noticed are mismatched transistors. If the curve is different between the pair of transistors they end up fighting each other. Just imagine how bad it would be on a Galaxy 98vhp with eight mismatched transistors.
Mismatched transistors? What mismatched transistors? The 2510 (that is what we are talking about here) used a single ended chain of 2SC1973, 2SC2166, MRF477.
So again, mismatched transistors?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.