• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestions on who to tune my Galaxy 98VHP

Hmm. Is this normal for a radio that is fresh from the factory with nothing done to it?
Is it something that a good tune can fix?
Would this condition cause the radio to sound bad? I get alot of good reports from it.

the transmit audio is severely lacking in am mode @ 125 - 175. make that less than 30% modulation.

"On AM, If I turn the power knob all the way up, the power meter on the radio will show 125 watts........"

and 25W all the way down........sorry, didn't see that.
the carrier level is excessively high throughout the rf power control range. in the fully clockwise position the carrier level should not exceed 50W.

The radio should not exceed 65 watts deadkey on high. The mosfets can't handle to much more. That's what the Factory tech recommends.

The MosFets can't handle wattage like bi-polar pills. So if it came from the factory like this it needs a tune, or maybe the meter is wrong.

I had mine set at 70watts on high and 35 on low, but it was swinging 250watts loud and clear watts. I was pushing it a bit.

There's really not much to tune on these radios just turn the AMC pot up. V16

Tune VR18 which is the low AM power. and VR 14 is high power. When you turn VR14 it affects V18. Anything other tuning you'll need a scope. and a volt meter.

Just set your low no lower than 25 watts and your high to about 4 to 1 mod. That is deadkey is 65watts and your swing is 260 watts approximately and you'll be happy with your radio.

If you set it lower than 25 watts on low it will have to much modulation and sound distorted on low.

If you send it to me I'll make do 600 watts swing but it would cost you to replace the linear and and the Mosfets, But it would be like mine the Biggest Galaxy in the World. LOL Not really cost effective but what a radio!

well remind ya guys hes only using the external meter.average at best.and i do
agree with 4600 thats wayyyy too much dk if the external is even reasonably close
but id dought it.as far as who to take it to well there are a few good ones out there
my personal choice is bobscb.com

Has anyone ever heard of 8541 electronics? Alot of people have suggested I take it to them. They are a Authorized Galaxy service center for out of warranty radios.

" If you set it lower than 25 watts on low "
25W carrier still too high for the DX1600.

" it will have to much modulation and sound distorted on low. "
not if the AMC is used to limit pep.

you don't use a 200W+ transmitter to drive an amplifier that requires less than 25% of that for full rated (am) output.

Last edited:
" If you set it lower than 25 watts on low "
25W carrier still too high for the DX1600.

" it will have to much modulation and sound distorted on low. "
not if the AMC is used to limit pep.

you don't use a 200W+ transmitter to drive an amplifier that requires less than 25% of that for full rated (am) output.

the ts1600 requires 100 watt driver 25 watt will underdrive it

100W drive is for ssb, not am.

Texas Star 1600:

"AM operation: 4 watts input will produce approximately 175 watts with plenty of swing. To increase power output, use a modulator and adjust output on the modulator to no more than 30 watts. 30 watts is maximum input for AM operation."........"30 watts input will produce approximately 850 watts output."

4W carrier in, 175W carrier out, dbg = 16.4
30W pep in, 850W pep out, dbg = 14.5

the information comes directly from TS so argue with it all you want. it takes less than 5W of drive (@13.8VDC) to produce 100W from a single 2SC2879 so it's no surprise that the rated output @ 850W (106.25X8) is produced with +/- 30W input. look at the PIn vs. POut graph (@12.5VDC) and figure it out.

http://www.firecommunications.com/trdbase/2sc2879.pdf

Last edited:
BooDaddy , freecell can also do that work for you . i didnt mention him because i thought he might be too busy fixing all the dammaged SWP radios (from radioactive) sent to him by folks who learned the truth too late . what antenna are you gonna run and how will it be mounted ? id be sure to use high quality foil shielded coax and a stainless steel mounting stud with the ammount of power youll be running . im guessing you already have a 150+ amp alternator on your vehicle and are using minium 4 guage power wire fused at the battery .

the only way you're getting 4/30 out of that 98VHP is to completely disable the mosfet amplifier for am operation and re-enable it @ no more than 100W for ssb. you listen to these guys your 1600 will be DITW in no time.

a 150A alternator will not be enough when the 1600 is operating in ssb mode. peak current draw for 8X2SC2879's is 160A. if you want to tow the vehicle it'll just make it.

for 160A @ 13.8VDC the Peak DC Input Power is 2200W: @ 55% efficiency the output is right at 1200WPEP SSB like i stated earlier in this thread and it doesn't take 100W drive input to get there.

Last edited:
I ran a DX 1600 on Ten meters for a while with 2 Batterys and a 160 Amp Alt, I replaced the alt 2 times before I learned the lesson. The Alt was running full bore when i was on the air, and modulating the headlights at night. This was using a HR-2600 to drive the amp, Appox 30/35 watts in SSB mode = about 700/800 watts out and very clean. About... I was not hung up on numbers, just wanted a clean signal on ten meters.
I have seen the results of trying to key a 1600 at 800 watt dead key in AM mode....lots of solder and burnt 10 ohm resistors n`Transistors. Not worth it.
I have decided that 4 x 2sc2879 is about the limit for a no hassle daily driver @ ten meters in a standard car/pickup. Any more than that and you need batterys and more Alt than it is worth.
Your milage may vary.
This claim has not been evaluated by the FDA.....

Jeff

thanks for correcting me on the alternator guys . i was thinking if he didnt try to get more than 1000 watts out of the amp that it would be enough based on 10 amps of power per 100 watts of amplifier leaving 50 for the vehicle . what would be an appropate alternator and/or battery set up for a radio and a 1600 ?

Well... Im more confused as ever now... LOL. So, I thought a 98VHP would be a good radio to drive a DX1600 because it was the "high drive" version of their amp. Texas Star has a dx1600v which is a "low drive" version. The only difference is the dx1600v has a built in DX350 driver. So the dx1600v was meant to be used with a low power output radio, and the DX1600 was meant to be used with a high power output radio.

So, what I am wanting to do is this: I want to have my 98VHP set so that it will run full power by itself for "local" talking, with the power knob all the way up so that I can get around 180-200 watts out of it. This way I would have plenty of power without having to use the dx1600
Then, when I want to run the 1600, I want to be able to turn the power down enough on the 98VHP so that it wont overdrive the texas star....the DX1600 high drive model. This way I can leave the DX1600 off until I want to do some DX'ing.

What I like to do, is in the morning on the way to work, shoot the breeze with the locals (so the 200 watt or so 98VHP does fine). but then on my way home in the evening when skip is rolling, I want to flip on the dx1600 for that big power :)

WHat do I need to do yo my 98VHP to make this happen?

I have talked to a fellow at 8541 electronics and he was saying that 98 would be a perfect match for a TS 1600 if it was tuned right. If I remember correctly he said they could do about 5-8 watt DK and let it swing %100 modulation on low power. This way I could turn the power knob all the way down low when I want to run the 1600. Then I could slowly turn the power knob up till I get about 800-900 PEP on the 1600. He said if you do lower than a 5 watt DK on the 98VHP it tends to oscillate badly.

As far as having enough current to supply the rig, here is my setup: I have a 2005 F-250 with a 6.0 Diesel. IT has 2 huge batteries from factory, and I think a 180 amp alternator factory. I am trying to find out if the alternator is actually 180 amps or not. IF its not, I am going to install a 200 amp alternator. They can be found for a pretty good price.
I have 4 gauge power and ground ran from the batteries to the cab of the truck. I have a 150 amp fuse in the engine bay, but I can swap it with a little bigger if i need. I think I can do 180 on the 4 gauge safely.

Freecell, if you can, I will send this radio to you and let you tune it for me. IS it possible to get it to do what I am wanting? I dont want to run the DX1600 at crazy power. I just want to run it so that it will cruise and sound really good. I dont want to push everything to the max. I like a good clean and bold sound.

Well... Im more confused as ever now... LOL. So, I thought a 98VHP would be a good radio to drive a DX1600 because it was the "high drive" version of their amp. Texas Star has a dx1600v which is a "low drive" version. The only difference is the dx1600v has a built in DX350 driver. So the dx1600v was meant to be used with a low power output radio, and the DX1600 was meant to be used with a high power output radio.

So, what I am wanting to do is this: I want to have my 98VHP set so that it will run full power by itself for "local" talking, with the power knob all the way up so that I can get around 180-200 watts out of it. This way I would have plenty of power without having to use the dx1600
Then, when I want to run the 1600, I want to be able to turn the power down enough on the 98VHP so that it wont overdrive the texas star....the DX1600 high drive model. This way I can leave the DX1600 off until I want to do some DX'ing.

What I like to do, is in the morning on the way to work, shoot the breeze with the locals (so the 200 watt or so 98VHP does fine). but then on my way home in the evening when skip is rolling, I want to flip on the dx1600 for that big power :)

WHat do I need to do yo my 98VHP to make this happen?

I have talked to a fellow at 8541 electronics and he was saying that 98 would be a perfect match for a TS 1600 if it was tuned right. If I remember correctly he said they could do about 5-8 watt DK and let it swing %100 modulation on low power. This way I could turn the power knob all the way down low when I want to run the 1600. Then I could slowly turn the power knob up till I get about 800-900 PEP on the 1600. He said if you do lower than a 5 watt DK on the 98VHP it tends to oscillate badly.

As far as having enough current to supply the rig, here is my setup: I have a 2005 F-250 with a 6.0 Diesel. IT has 2 huge batteries from factory, and I think a 180 amp alternator factory. I am trying to find out if the alternator is actually 180 amps or not. IF its not, I am going to install a 200 amp alternator. They can be found for a pretty good price.
I have 4 gauge power and ground ran from the batteries to the cab of the truck. I have a 150 amp fuse in the engine bay, but I can swap it with a little bigger if i need. I think I can do 180 on the 4 gauge safely.

Freecell, if you can, I will send this radio to you and let you tune it for me. IS it possible to get it to do what I am wanting? I dont want to run the DX1600 at crazy power. I just want to run it so that it will cruise and sound really good. I dont want to push everything to the max. I like a good clean and bold sound.

just for a clarifation the ts1600v does have a driver.HOWEVERthere is a pushbotton on
the front to turn it off and just run it like the normal 1600.im not sure if the variable
knob will work running it without the driver though.but that amp WILL work also if
properly used

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.