• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestions on who to tune my Galaxy 98VHP

for more info goto cbtricks.com
then click on amplifiers manuals and schematics
lots of info there.thats were i was reading all my info from the amp
manual.not just hearsay.

Hmm.. Theres alot of schematics, but I aint to good t reading them :)

I did find this:
http://cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/texas_star_gen_info.htm

But It doesnt say if that is on AM, or SSB. and it doesnt say if that is 100w carrier or 100wat PEP. If its 100w PEP then that would be about a 25w deadkey right?

I noticed that the stats for the 350 is outputting 180 watts with a 4 watt input. That would mean that the DX1600v would be using the 350 to drive it, and would be driven with 180 watts to the finals. So if you have the regular DX1600 (not the DX1600V) you would need to drive it with something close?

just curious boodaddy......have you had a amp before ? if not a 8 pill is quite a beast to be getting your feet wet with .

Well yeah, this is my first amp. Back when I was a teen, and I first got into CBs, I had a cobra 19 and a little 100 watt amp (cant remember the brand).

HEck, I figure if your gonna do it.. go big :) I can get the Texas Star Sweet Sixteen for about 590 from my distributor :)

Hmm.. Theres alot of schematics, but I aint to good t reading them :)

I did find this:
http://cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/texas_star_gen_info.htm

But It doesnt say if that is on AM, or SSB. and it doesnt say if that is 100w carrier or 100wat PEP. If its 100w PEP then that would be about a 25w deadkey right?

I noticed that the stats for the 350 is outputting 180 watts with a 4 watt input. That would mean that the DX1600v would be using the 350 to drive it, and would be driven with 180 watts to the finals. So if you have the regular DX1600 (not the DX1600V) you would need to drive it with something close?
thats the site .theres a manual
for the 1600v i know..hey dont tell ysa am/ssb but ya get a good idea anyway
and its right from the owners manual best info possible

im not sure how 2 post links but if ya go 2
cbtricks.com-
click amp. manuals and skepmatics -
then click t =texasstar-
next page will list the t.s click it
then that will bring up all models just click 1600v

Look here:

http://www.cbtricks.com/new_products/amp/texas_star_dx1600v/index.htm

In the text it says...and I quote:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Input Power[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 to 25watts if using the Driver stage[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 to 100 watts if using the final stage only.[/FONT]

100 watts Max if not using the built in driver, the 8 finals only.
One has to know that the output of the "350" style driver stage is padded a lot if they only recomend that the input be 100 watts without the extra 2sc2879`s.

Now one the same page there is this statment, and I quote:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the people that want to run the amp at 800 watt deadkey or on FM There is fan kit that can replace the bottom cover which covers the heatsink.[/FONT]

I DO NOT recommend that you do this!
I have run a DX 1600 at 700/800 watt dead key, and trust me you can cook dinner on the amp, and this was with 4 fans running on the heat sink. It will do it, but if you do not have all your ducks in a row, you invite a meltdown. If you want to quickly heat the cab of the truck, it will do that too, but it will not be long before you go see the Amp doctor if you run long keydowns.
I see no reason that your radio will not run that amp fine, you have to have an external watt meter behind the Amp, and watch what the power is comming out of it.

I have talked to a fellow at 8541 electronics and he was saying that 98 would be a perfect match for a TS 1600 if it was tuned right. If I remember correctly he said they could do about 5-8 watt DK and let it swing %100 modulation on low power. This way I could turn the power knob all the way down low when I want to run the 1600. Then I could slowly turn the power knob up till I get about 800-900 PEP on the 1600.

The part about:
This way I could slowly turn the power knob up till I get about 800-900 PEP ( PEP not dead key ) on the 1600.

This is very good advise!
Running the amp in this way will leave you some headroom, and not put so much stress on the amp. You still need the fans.
As Jack ( freecell ) has said:

personally i do not exceed 800W in either AM or SSB modes so that in the case of an antenna or feedline fault the transistors stand a good chance of surviving any extreme mismatches that could occur. secondly, the IMD levels remain at or > -24db. to keep the neighbors happy, especially since there is no low pass output filtering in the collector output of the DX1600.

The Model number is a DX 1600, not ment to be the output #`s of the amp in Watts.
Been there, done that , bought the shirt.

2 huge batteries from factory, and I think a 180 amp alternator factory. I am trying to find out if the alternator is actually 180 amps or not. IF its not, I am going to install a 200 amp alternator. They can be found for a pretty good price.
I have 4 gauge power and ground ran from the batteries to the cab of the truck. I have a 150 amp fuse in the engine bay, but I can swap it with a little bigger if i need. I think I can do 180 on the 4 gauge safely.
You should be "ok" with the 200 Amp Alt and good Batt`s. More Alt Amps would be even better, but it will run.
Just run the amp as recommened above, watch your power output, It is easy to forget were the power is set, and turn the Amp on.
Keep the fans running when the Amp is on.
Keep an eye on reflect/SWR because things happen.
I like Cross needle SWR meters, at a glance you can see forward and reflected power, and right away know what is going on with your system.
Run Good coax, and make sure it is installed well.
Use a quality mount, and good antenna.
I have 2 guage wire running to the cab behind the seat, fused under the hood, at the battery. It is a bit of overkill for 4 x 2sc2879`s, but I run the Radio and auto-tuner off the same lines.
Both Jack ( freecell ) and Richard ( ss8541 ) have told you good stuff.
Just make sure ALL the ducks are in a row...... and do not try to get all of the magic ten ohm smoke out of your system.

Jeff

Buy a 8 pill Class C amp. Davemade, Fatboy, Xforce and or worldwide. and be done with it.

Texas stars are for wimps. Drive the hell out of the these Class C amps and be heard everywhere.

4watt carrier into a texas star DX1600 LOL.

30 watt pep LOL. There are so many radios that do this already. Why turn down you 98VHP.
to accommodate an amp. when you can buy an amp the can be driven buy this radio turned all the way up.

there's some more stupid advice.

That your opinion. LOL

I thought it made perfect sense, since he had a 98vhp. Why in the world would you want to turn down a radio like that.

If you want to run a clean Texas Star amp run it with a cobra 29ltd or 25ltd, but since he has the 98vhp any amp he runs it into will not be clean.

There would be no difference in sound quality. In fact Class C amp with the same amount of pills as the DX1600 would get out farther, since It's alot more efficent than the Texas Star , and don't tell me it won't.

I've seen it in a real life test. They're competition amps That means that it would get out over a Texas Star with all being the same.

So go run your Texas Star with a 29 ltd.

Last edited:
"Buy a 8 pill Class C amp. Davemade, Fatboy, Xforce and or worldwide. and be done with it."

no, it's stupid advice. Class C Amplifiers are designed for FM and CW operation.
you've been brainwashed by comp amp builders. Class C Amplifiers are not designed to be used with transmitter modes of operation incorporating asymetrically modulated waveforms because of the inherently high levels of distortion. if you're using them for AM/SSB operation then you're the ones using the vacuum cleaners.

That brings me to another question...
What are the differences between amp classes?

Also, is it possible for a "tinkerer" to build his own amp? I would like to build something small at first like a 200 watt or something. then move on to bigger amps.

If anyone has any info on amp classes or amp building, please let me know!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.