• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sunspot Cycle

That was the first link I could find on my phone here at work. Didn't take a lot of time looking HOWEVER look at the scientific journals etc. Lots of them talk about the possibility of a Maunder Minimum. Just because something is not 100% predictable does not mean that trends are not there and so are indicators. It may happen and it may not but ther3 certaunly have been discussions about it.Don't take my word for it. Look it up for yourselves.

Reactions: BJ radionut
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/the-weakest-solar-cycle-in-100-years/

Maybe this source(s) might offer some info, some of you may not feel is motivated by politics...
Those of us that follow some of these experts tend to believe Yes we are headed into a Solar minimum...I really hope not, however the trends and indicators are there.
I was really hoping for another run like started in the late 50's thru 80's when the cycles were damn near or above 3 x where the last 2 cycles have been...but alas it appears NOT..
So think what you wish, but be prepared the propagation 21 MHZ and above is going to die and ANY openings will be short in distance and duration...
All the Best
Gary

So think what you wish, but be prepared the propagation 21 MHZ and above is going to die and ANY openings will be short in distance and duration...
This is one of the most compelling reason for someone to become ham. All the amps, big antennas, splatter boxes in the world are not going to help you if mother nature has gone on vacation. The nice thing with amateur radio is you can move around the bands till you find one that is open, most of the time there is one or two that are. I talk to my friend K7LNP in Salt Lake usually every weekend, we start on 12 meters and work our way up till we find a band that works for us, sometimes its 12, 15, 17, 20 or 40. It all depends on mother nature's mood.

I'm not aphysisy
That was the first link I could find on my phone here at work. Didn't take a lot of time looking HOWEVER look at the scientific journals etc. Lots of them talk about the possibility of a Maunder Minimum. Just because something is not 100% predictable does not mean that trends are not there and so are indicators. It may happen and it may not but ther3 certaunly have been discussions about it.Don't take my word for it. Look it up for yourselves.

Like anything else -science is using available data and patterns to identify what may likely happen with the sun. I hope it doesn't but all the data certainly points to that conclusion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo...nd-minimum-says-solar-physicist/#7860485c63e4

Well, shoot. This is really discouraging.
After much research and deliberation I had decided on placing my order for an Icom 7300 and a MegaWatt 30 amp power supply.

Guess I'll put that off for a few years now and get a 2 meter rig instead. Or, better yet, get that new set of Pings I've been wanting and get back out on the golf course till the sun decides to behave. I need the exercise anyway.

Well, shoot. This is really discouraging.
After much research and deliberation I had decided on placing my order for an Icom 7300 and a MegaWatt 30 amp power supply.

Guess I'll put that off for a few years now and get a 2 meter rig instead. Or, better yet, get that new set of Pings I've been wanting and get back out on the golf course till the sun decides to behave. I need the exercise anyway.

Won't be anything wrong with 160-40m and 20m will still have good DX at times.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Won't be anything wrong with 160-40m and 20m will still have good DX at times.

Guess all the dire posts got the best of me. I don't really care anything about 2 meters and have had the yips for a few years now so don't enjoy golf like I used to, so I guess I'll go ahead with my planned purchase, hang a Par EndFedz 20/40 and enter the world of amateur radio. Will 6 meters be worth fooling with?

Regardless of the sunspot cycle there will be some 6m activity. Mostly during the summer months and again with some lesser openings around mid-December. This is because of typical sporadic E-layer propagation modes and not really related to sunspot activity as much as other modes of propagation. Just don't look for a LOT of 6m long haul intercontinental DX.

Thanks, Captain.
On second thought, I think I'll save my money, stick to flying r/c airplanes and check back in a few years. Many thanks to you and others who've taken the time to answer my often silly questions. So long, everybody.

Last edited:
Do they still use 27Mhz for remote control stuff? If so be careful how far you fly those things, with the sunspots acting like they are your transmitter may not be able to reach it.:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.