• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

super antenna MP1DXR HF. is it a wast of money?

Just curious what all the naysayers would recommend for a portable antenna of similar size?

I think it's important to note that im a naysayer for two reasons. I'm cheap and I like to build stuff. I don't mind spending money on quality parts or things I can't build but in this case I feel I can do better for less money.

I think the mfj collapsible whip is a good idea. I would probably go with something like that or a used 5/8 wave cb ground plane. Utilize the insulator on the antenna or make one for the 17 foor whip. Then wind a big coil to shunt feed the thing and maybe add a variable capacitor. The plan may change depending on what band or bands a person is interested in using.

If there is a way to hang a horizontal dipole I'd build a dioole, feed it with ladder line (probably home made) and use a balanced tuner (also home made). The parts can be small enough to all fit in a backpack if this is a QRP setup.

Just curious what all the naysayers would recommend for a portable antenna of similar size?
I've had a Buddipole vertical, worked but not my cup of tea. I presently am using an Alpha Antenna Military Ez with a MFJ 1979 collapsable whip ontop of a painters pole that doubles as a hiking pole. I like it for the price. Seen a Chamelion mpas which has a very nice finish, but for me out of my price point (with the current exchange)

Moderator's note: It's not cool to start a thread, get a bunch of opinions on the product in question and then delete the thread. Others may find the information useful.
BMP..
Have been looking at a great number of antenna's, and come by this one, it kind of looked hooky to me. I know its a big compromise, and the little swr ruler kind of got me...
How can someone use a "ruler" to set or aid in setting swr when the ground and a million other things are never the same....so to say.
I heard all I needed to say, and it all looked to me as if it was something to drop at that point, so I did.
And I can see your point Molecuo, might as well keep it up....:whistle:

Last edited:
The SWR ruler is just for giving an approximate setting for the coil when you change bands. It's a starting point for fine tuning what is "Super" about the antenna is its portability. I have one, and the entire system packs into my Wilderness Radio backpack bag with my FT-817 and all of its accessories. It's designed for portable QRP operation. If that's what you're doing, it's as good or better than anything on the market. If you're looking for a permanent base-station antenna it is not the antenna you are looking for, to quote Obi-Wan.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. A few meters of antenna are hard to string up indoors in a motel, or from the balcony of a resort condo, but they can definitely be more effective if you have the room to string them.

And if you go to high places, a wire laying on the ground doesn't work too well. When you get above that danged old tree line, stringing wires and finding firewood can be very difficult.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.