• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

super cb in semi truck??? :)

mrdemise

Feb 12, 2010
I am happy with the cobra I have. It works very well compared to others. But it only gets out about 4 miles in the hills and 7miles on flat land. I want more power.
So I was thinking....here goes.....what if I put a base station radio in my truck and run that?
Can I do it? Will it really reach that far???(I would love to get out at least 10 more miles...if possible)
Keep in mind I know nothing about base radios. I know just the basics about truck cb's/
So please educate me regarding this.
Can I do it?
If so how far can I get out?
What kind of antenna do I need?

base radios are just mobiles in a bigger box with a power supply built in and sometimes a few more bells and whistles . they wont do any more power than their mobile counterpart .

what model cobra do you have and is it an old school radio with the mic jack on the side or a newer one with it on the front ? if its an older side mic one and its got a decent tune and is properly aligned adding a texas star 350 behind it and not over driving it will be your best option IMO .

your antenna will decide how well everything in front of it performs though . having a good/great antenna and having it mounted properly and tuned properly is a must for any serious setup . what antenna are you using and where is it mounted on your vehicle ?

Your antenna setup or system is 75-80 % of your signal the other part being your radio and its tune. You can take an old 23 channel radio and hook it up on my beam on my tower here at home and you will be right in there with the high dollar radios Vice versa you can take that high dollar radio and run it on a slap together walmart antenna system and you will be fighting for space on the airwaves with a guy running a handheld radio.

Think ANTENNA ANTENNA ANTENNA!!!!!! Its the best investment you can make and should be the first thing you do to properly get usage out of any 2 way radio. I often seen people go outrageous on buying radios and adons / mods and there they sat with a firestick antenna they found in grandpas garage :eek::confused::eek::LOL:

All sound advice - IMO...

New Cobra for regular AM mode are just OK - don't expect too much; the older ones are better.
Antennas are the real secret weapon here; not necessarily a linear - but a small 100 watt linear couldn't hurt either..

Your first reaction was that 'bigger is better'; so a big box base radio must be better... It isn't so. Base radios are often re-boxed mobile radios. They aren't better; just more convenient if you just want a base station. I have a three base station radios and never use them. I use a mobile radio hooked up to a power supply and a nice mic and antenna. Bingo; there is is!!! Same is true for a vehicle. Pay attention to the antenna quality and installation, a decent quality radio that has been checked out by a radio tech with his full approval - and there is no way you can miss.

Once you get through those points, then you might consider a small 100-200 watt linear...

Think ANTENNA ANTENNA ANTENNA!!!!!! Its the best investment you can make and should be the first thing you do to properly get usage out of any 2 way radio. I often seen people go outrageous on buying radios and adons / mods and there they sat with a firestick antenna they found in grandpas garage :eek::confused::eek::LOL:

I couldn't agree more. IMO you can own the most tricked out radio there is, but it won't be worth beans without a good antenna. I also drive a semi; I've had better results getting out using a single antenna vs dual antennas. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most of the folks on this forum, perhaps someone here can explain the advantages/disadvantages of a single antenna vs a dual antenna setup.

I once drove team with a guy who had a bone stock Uniden Bearcat PC68XL radio with the stock mic. We were driving a Freightliner Century with a beat up single Firestick antenna mounted to the driver's side mirror. It was a good setup to start with IMO, but he decided to replace the unsightly, old antenna; He bought a new antenna the same length as the old Firestick (I think it was a K5); It sure seemed to us both that we were hearing more, and we were getting out better. So he gets more enthusiastic about his setup, and a few weeks later he finds a good deal and buys an Astatic 636L mic; It seems to us we're getting out even a little better.

We still keep in touch, and he proudly uses the same setup, -although he's now interested in a linear amp! -I guess it never ends. :D

base radios are just mobiles in a bigger box with a power supply built in and sometimes a few more bells and whistles . they wont do any more power than their mobile counterpart .

what model cobra do you have and is it an old school radio with the mic jack on the side or a newer one with it on the front ? if its an older side mic one and its got a decent tune and is properly aligned adding a texas star 350 behind it and not over driving it will be your best option IMO .

your antenna will decide how well everything in front of it performs though . having a good/great antenna and having it mounted properly and tuned properly is a must for any serious setup . what antenna are you using and where is it mounted on your vehicle ?

cobra 29ltd nw with weather band
adjusted for more power at a local shop
mic jack in front
built 2008
fire stick 4 footer adjusted by the local shop.
whats a texas star?

btw my ONE antenna is hooked on passenger side mirror. cb shop hooked it up properly. 1-2 swr when dialed in on the channel I'm using. everyone says I am very clear and powerful. but I want more! LOL

I hooked it up to the factory cable that runs dual antennas off the mirrors on my Columbia freight liner and I lost all power. Guys couldn't hear me a mile away. They said i was super weak. So I went with the one antenna from the cb shop with the cable I got from them and its great just not far enough for me anymore. I'm tired of a guy at my work who has a connex and factory antennas on his kenworth but he gets out 10-15 miles ALL DAY!
Seems like its going to be a new antenna tomorrow! :p
I'll keep you all posted when I get back from my next run.
A K5???
or what should I get.

There are a couple of things that you are going to have to just live with because you're driving a truck that isn't exactly easy to put an antenna on and have it operate most effectively. That doesn't mean your 'Columbia freight liner' specifically, but any semi-tractor and trailer. Antennas would rather be 'above' any metal rather than 'beside' any metal (carry that just a little bit further and say they don't care for being 'under' any metal either). It's also a fact that 'full sized' antennas tend to radiate a 'better' pattern than shortened antennas will produce. And since at 11 meters a 'full sized' antenna is something like 9 feet long/tall, it's just not very practical to put a 9 foot tall antenna on top of a semi-tractor. Right? So don't expect 'perfection', every installation is going to be a compromise in some way.
Having said all that, you can certainly optimize your set up. That typically means doing a good job of tuning your antenna, and feeding it a signal that's reasonably strong. That 'reasonably strong' thingy is another place where -practical- is more important than just 'more'. That antenna tuning thing is much more important than the power thing.
Antenna tuning isn't exactly easy, depending on how you do it, and requires more than just an SWR meter (just like tuning an engine requires more than just a timing light). Not exactly what you normally hear, but it's true anyway.
That all means that an antenna that's 'close' to that 9 foot thingy, mounted as high, or above more metal than beside it, and then really giving it a good tune up, while keeping things as 'practical' as possible, would be your best bet. The only real 'trick' in any of that is that 'practical' part, which certainly won't be the same in every case. The other 'catch' is that 'Momma Nature' always has the last word as far as 'range' goes because 'She's the one who controls propagation, which is always the deciding factor. If you EVER figure out how to keep 'Momma nature' happy even 50% of the time, would you PLEASE tell me how to do it too?? (Don't tell anyone else, just me! We'll make a fortune!)
One thought is what kind of antenna does that guy at work use who does so well? Any chance of you getting one like it?
And lastly, be careful about 'opinions', stick to facts where possible. Every antenna maker in the world says their antenna is 'best'. That's an opinion. And unfortunately, it doesn't stand up under examination in most cases. See where that's going?
I won't make any specific suggestions about what antenna to get. The one you spoke of is certainly one option. (That power rating means nothing unless you plan on using that much power, BTW. And it is always dependent on how well the @#$ thing is tuned.)
Good luck.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.