• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super Scanner Antennas?

Jay in the Mojave

Apr 6, 2005
Mojave Desert
Hello Ladi41:

I thought I posted a reply but maybe I clicked on the wrong button, darn keyboards.

The Switch Box and Control Box can be duplicated or copied. Relays from RF Parts can be assemblied for the Switching Box.

RF Parts is at: www.rfparts.com

I also suggest using RG142B Teflon Coax. Its the same size as the orginal RG58C Coax but 10 times more better. It will last forever and is a good investment.

RG142B coax is avialable at:

thewireman.com/index.shtml

A really good upgarde to the Super Scanner Antenna would to install Baluns at each of the elements (3ea). The Baluns do two things. 1- The Balun applies equal currents to each of the split and insulated elements. 2- The Balun isolates the RF Energy from traveling down the coaxes outer shield. And this would help out on TVI.

The Baluns are 1 to 1 Current type. Avialable at Amaidon at:

www.amidoncorp.com/aai_pr...ection.htm

Should you need any help e-mail me

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

Hello Landi41:

OK I did write a much longer reply, but like I said I must have not hit the send button but hit the "I am stupid button, again" I hate it when small little stupid things kick my a$$.

Anyway BTW..........

The Super Scaner Antenna can be duplicated, rebuilt, and even copied. Again if you look around on E-Bay and write and bookmark a search for "Super Scanner Antenna" I am sure you will run across one. Even driving around in neighborhoods, you will find one not being used. I'll bet!

Ok I dug the Super Scanner Manual out of my files. The control box shows a stepdown transformer that steps down the 110 to 120 VAC to 24 VAC (VAC = Volts Alternating Current, or AC) the 24 VAC operates the relays in the switch box. Its possible that the relays are 12 volt relays, due to the resistor shown in the control box. This needs to be figured out.

The Omni circuit, a 9 Ft length of RG58 was used.

Installing of the Super Scanner Antenna, the assembly instructions don't tell much, at least the ones I have don't show anything. The antenna needs to be installed on its mast with "NOT" metal guys wires attached from the bottom of the base going between the elements to be tied off.

Many of the Super Scanner Antennas where put up this way which will detune them some. The use of the good Dacron rope will work great. Suggest you use 816 or 817 Dacron rope. Even metal guy wires just below the bottom of the elements will throw the antenna off, be advised.

So some guys installed the SS Antenna with guy wires 10 feet below the bottom of the elements, on the mast, then causing the mast to bend to a good wind storm. I saw many installed this way.

thewireman.com/antacc.html

The Baluns can be installed later when you get all the parts and the antenna is working. I will be please to help. The coax will have to be trimed to allow for the time propagation in the Baluns.Not a problem.

Please let us know how things go for you. Hope this helps.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

Anyone had experience with these antennas? How does it compare to other antennas and so on. Work well with DXing or best for local or great for both? Just curious what is known about these antennas. Thanks.

</p>

Jay in the Mojave said:
A really good upgarde to the Super Scanner Antenna would to install Baluns at each of the elements (3ea). The Baluns do two things. 1- The Balun applies equal currents to each of the split and insulated elements. 2- The Balun isolates the RF Energy from traveling down the coaxes outer shield. And this would help out on TVI.

Pulling this thread out from the dead! :twisted:

Jay is 100% correct about what the baluns do. The problem is that the Super Scanner uses UNEQUAL element lengths. The upper elelment is longer than the lower element! The coax is not just a feedline in this application and the use of the balun would cause problems.

The Super Scanner is an interesting idea!

Triple One,
I think the Super Scanner antenna is nice. It's the equivalent of a two element beam, probably something like 6 dBd of gain, sort of. In the 'omni' mode it doesn't really have any gain as such (at least not in dBd).
One thing that I think is a pretty good idea, since I hate messing with them, is that there is no need of a rotor. The directional pattern is such that it's pretty well the full 360 degree coverage (not exactly a spot light sort of thing, more a flood light, which is true for most beams).
Is it the 'best' antenna you can get? Not really. But then what is, when you get down to it, cuz all antennas are compromises...
- 'Doc

PS - Do I have one? Nope, I'm too cheap.

Hey Jay

if one really wants to make good investment in coax (even for HF)
then what about Andrews Heliax Hardline..(for base use)

myself i have LDF5-50A and LDF7-50A

LDF5-50A i use for HF
LDF7-50A i use for VHF-UHF

Yes i know it is way more then needed..
but it does make a difference and sure will last a long time

to go past this stuff would be for the likes of radio and tv stations lol

Later

I JUST PURCHASED ONE OF THESE ANTENNAS. SEEMS TO WORK GREAT BUT I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
1. I HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU CAN NOT RUN A LOT OF POWER IN THE OMNI DIRECTIONAL MODE BUT YOU CAN RUN AS MUCH AS THE COAX WILL HOLD IN A DIRECTIONAL MODE. IS THIS TRUE?
2.IF SO CAN THE CAPACITORS IN THE RELAY BOX ON THE ANTENNA BE REPLACED WITH ONES OF THE SAME VALUE BUT HIGHER VOLTAGE TO FIX THIS?

THANKS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.