• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Survival HT BWCA

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
I need the collective knowledge of the experienced HAMs to help me answer a theoretical question. Assume I want to go canoe camping in the BWCA (Lat 48, Long -91). This is approximately 14 miles NE over rolling hills from Ely, MN (location of the nearest repeater). During this trip I might want to pick up the weather forecast and/or call for help if needed. Being able to tag into APRS would be a bonus.

Besides my VX-8R, what else would you recommend so I can communicate from the water level (I can not assume that I will be able to climb the nearest hill) at this location.

Thanks

Weather forecast won't be an issue, can receive it with just about anything... the repeater is very inactive, and I would not bet my safety on being able to access it, or that someone is monitoring. I live right in town and from within my house hitting the repeater is iffy on the HT. Cell phones are also spotty coverage... Some of the outfitters have SAT phones to rent, probably most reliable..

As for radio gear dunno, but perhaps some kind of wire dipole made up to attach to the end of a fishing rod or paddle may be helpful.

Some kind of better antenna (a dipole, or maybe a 1/2 vertical). A small brick amp and a battery to power it. I don't think you'll get there with the stock HT based on what MisterFatty described if the coverage on that repeater is spotty.

This little 2m amp is inexpensive and will fit in a backpack easily. I use a similar model mounted on my RV dash (see other thread for pics). That will give you a solid 35 watts output which should help getting you to the repeater if you use a better antenna.

RF Parts Company

Get the SatPhone and don't look back. The HT might be nice IF (big if) the repeater is accessible AND somebody's listening. I wouldn't want to have to rely on that if I was in trouble.

'Course you might have to modify the HT so's you can transmit on all of the public service freqs, 'cuz it'd be a real emergency. Modify it so's you transmit on ALL of these frequencies at the same time!

On the other hand, the SatPhone's a better idea.

we were in BWCA in July

with Boy Scouts. I took my new (mod-ed) VX-8r hoping to use it for emergencies. We put in at Mudro Lake (point 16) and came out at Moose Cr (pt 22?). I got NOAA weather fine, and did some GMRS with our other group, but no HAM, but I was new to HAM and did not try too hard. I did send APRS beacons on the way to-from Minneapolis but only 20 miles from Ely and on in towards civilization.

In addition to the above recommendations, I'd do a "Rat tail" (aka "Counterpoise") to help reception, I've read good things about these, if you Google Counterpoise or Rat Tail you'll see lots of articles written by Hams on how to build and use these. If you go with a battery (how much are you Portaging? lol) take a solar roll, I bot one made by Powerfilmsolar.com and used it to charge the VX-8 (with some fiddling around) and my I-pod.

I strongly recommend a GPS. There are waypoint files online that give you ALL the campsites and Portages. I used USAPhotomaps (freeware at jdmcox.com ) where I put in our routes and downloaded the camps and portages making things so easy - campsites and portages are sometimes hard to see no need to paddle around lost!

-bill
KD0IIL

how much are you Portaging?

I strongly recommend a GPS.

I don't portage much. In the past I have dropped into Fall lake as my entry point and stuck to the larger lakes. As I told others in planning my next trip, I would rather paddle 2 miles than carry for 1. And I always pack to much, but I normally go solo, so.....

I usually take a GPS and paper maps, but I have gotten pretty good at dead reckoning and by the time I hit the water I have the map generally memorized. This being said, it I go with a second canoe, I will insist that they have a GPS. They are worth their weight in gold when you get turned around and are under pressure.

I was about to give up on HT in the BWCA, but as I play with my HT and APRS, I came up with an idea/theory. Can set my HT to hit a satellite and pass a little message once or twice a day? Thoughts?

I was about to give up on HT in the BWCA, but as I play with my HT and APRS, I came up with an idea/theory. Can set my HT to hit a satellite and pass a little message once or twice a day? Thoughts?

Sure. There are a few of us that use our HTs to hit the satellite when it goes over. You're going to need to know when it will pass over, as well as the bearings. You can find out all of that ahead of time and just write it down. To do it well, you will want a better antenna though. Both the Arrow and Elk antennas break down and can pack pretty small.

Here's a video I just published on how to hit the satellites with your HT:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...-how-work-satellites-your-handheld-radio.html

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.