• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swan WM2000a calibration

Limey
If you don't intend using 2kw it will likely be more accurate for your needs calibrating the 2kw range @ what you do intend using & probably read closer to the 200w range.

If you want to measure anything close to 2kw then it needs calibrating @ or close to 2kw,

its a decent meter compared to most cb/ham meters it probably won't read correctly in the lower part of each range even with a NIST traceable calibration service unless you are incredibly lucky,

for better accuracy you would need a meter scale individually made to match the diodes conduction curve and use it at the temperature it was calibrated at,

My Telewave meter scale is coloured pink in the lower 1/3rd & says use lower range,
that's where most if not all simple detector diode meters are not so accurate including my bird 43,

it all depends on what you want, are you interested in been more accurate @ 500w or 2kw,

don't know about professional calibration services in the USA but in the UK it costs more than typical cb/ham meters cost to buy,
and can make them less accurate than calibrating the meter for what you want to measure such as measuring 3-400w on a meter calibrated @2kw.

If you want to measure anything close to 2kw then it needs calibrating @ or close to 2kw,

its a decent meter compared to most cb/ham meters it probably won't read correctly in the lower part of each range even with a NIST traceable calibration service unless you are incredibly lucky,

for better accuracy you would need a meter scale individually made to match the diodes conduction curve and use it at the temperature it was calibrated at,

My Telewave meter scale is coloured pink in the lower 1/3rd & says use lower range,
that's where most if not all simple detector diode meters are not so accurate including my bird 43,

it all depends on what you want, are you interested in been more accurate @ 500w or 2kw,

don't know about professional calibration services in the USA but in the UK it costs more than typical cb/ham meters cost to buy,
and can make them less accurate than calibrating the meter for what you want to measure such as measuring 3-400w on a meter calibrated @2kw.

I think i understand now. The attached in previous post service manual with very difficult to read writing was calling on 2kw test calibration, i guess this is moot if im running sub 1kw power.

I thought that perhaps there might be a way to measure watts if one has amps and volts and a dummy load.

Probably , wont be worth paying to get it calibrated not unless some merely puts it up against a known calibrated device then makes the relevant pot adjustments on the swan to read similar?

Reactions: bob85
Probably , wont be worth paying to get it calibrated not unless some merely puts it up against a known calibrated device then makes the relevant pot adjustments on the swan to read similar?
That's pretty much standard practice in the CB world, knowing exactly how many watts you're putting out isn't as important as most people think.

"I thought that perhaps there might be a way to measure watts if one has amps and volts and a dummy load"

There is but not by measuring the DC amps & voltage input of the amplifier,
you need an accurate means of measuring rf voltage & accurate dummyload & anything in the system like connectors etc,

some people use a scope & dummyload power splitters attenuators etc,

they all need calibrating at the frequency you want to measure if you want anything close to accurate measurements,

making accurate RF power measurements is difficult even for the smart folk,

some info on how NIST calibrate traceable RF watt meters,
https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/calibrations/93msc-cw.pdf

Reactions: Limeybastard
"I thought that perhaps there might be a way to measure watts if one has amps and volts and a dummy load"

There is but not by measuring the DC amps & voltage input of the amplifier,
you need an accurate means of measuring rf voltage & accurate dummyload & anything in the system like connectors etc,

some people use a scope & dummyload power splitters attenuators etc,

they all need calibrating at the frequency you want to measure if you want anything close to accurate measurements,

making accurate RF power measurements is difficult even for the smart folk,

some info on how NIST calibrate traceable RF watt meters,
https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/calibrations/93msc-cw.pdf

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated