• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Meter Accuracy and Other Issues

Big Easy

Nov 7, 2016
How accurate are built in SWR meters on radios that have had the modulation turned up?

The 3' jumper coax I have for my cb meter is causing my radio to not work properly for some reason. So in place of it I am using a piece of steel wire as a jumper cable from the meter to the radio. It seems to work fine. Will this make my meter inaccurate?

Midland 5001z built in meter shows sky high SWR. But when I plug in my external SWR meter with the wire jumper it shows about 1.5 across all 40 channels.

The built-in SWR meter can be accurate IF it has been tested and adjusted.
A 100 ohm resistor dummy load should register a 2:1 SWR.
If the radio had the 54mhz trap circuit disabled - all bets are off.

I'm having a hard time picturing this use of steel wire...but...if you are using an external SWR meter you will need to use jumper coax to connect the radio to the meter.

Your internal meter is kind of like using your kids plastic binoculars to look at the moon - does it give you a general idea of what the moon looks like...yes - it is giving you an accurate and clear view of the moon....no.

If your internal meter is showing a super sky high swr then it's probably high.

External SWR meter is always better as long as it's working correctly and is made with some quality.

So after doing some research I believe the meter on my midland is not really an swr meter after all. The manual says it is an s/rf meter that shows incoming signal strength and outgoing rf power. No mention of SWR's at all.

Yep but now I feel like an idiot lol. But thanks for the help guys I really do appreciate it.
You could never come close to the amount of stupid question's I've asked over the past two years.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

You could never come close to the amount of stupid question's I've asked over the past two years.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

I don't know about that. I work with a guy that will ask a question IMMEDIATELY after telling him something. You can tell him what machine we are going to go work on and and he will IMMEDIATELY ask what machine we are going to go work on. :confused:

I don't know about that. I work with a guy that will ask a question IMMEDIATELY after telling him something. You can tell him what machine we are going to go work on and and he will IMMEDIATELY ask what machine we are going to go work on. :confused:

Does he also work at a fast-food place? I went through the drive-thru the other day and ordered a burger with "no cheese". The kid says "Okay. Do you want cheese on that?". :confused:

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.