• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tactical radio?

brash

Apr 22, 2012
i'm looking into getting a tactical radio for a vest i am preparing, for personal use, and wondering what band i should look into getting, one of those 2mile jobs, or step it up and go with a ham band radio.

Most of the preppers get a tech licence and a 2meter/440 talkie. They will also cover the frs and gmrs frequencies. You can connect 2 of them together with a short piece of coax and use them as nunchucks if you find yourself in a bad situation.

Most of the preppers get a tech licence and a 2meter/440 talkie. They will also cover the frs and gmrs frequencies.

GMRS requires a separate license. My Extra Class license does not cover GMRS.
I know the Technician level license will not. But if the shXX hits the fan who will care?

i'm looking into getting a tactical radio for a vest i am preparing, for personal use, and wondering what band i should look into getting, one of those 2mile jobs, or step it up and go with a ham band radio.
Better yet get a drone and fly high altitude surveillance over your "Safe Area" so you can get eyes on them before they get eyes on you!

Reactions: QuietStorm
For what you are wanting to do I think one of the 'non-licensed' services would probably work with out a lot of complications. The draw back to that is extremely short ranges, less than a mile in most cases.

Baofeng UV5R. Dual band. Can do MURS band which is free. On flat terrain I got honest 15 miles in TX on I10 in VHF band. They sell AA battery packs for them too in case the included nicad battery dies.
The UV5a is not a part 95 radio. Can not be used for MURS

fromtheinternet.jpg

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated