• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Ranger TR-966

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
Is the TR-966 a 8719 PLL chip radio? It looks awful similar exterior wise to a side mic Cobra 148 GTL.

Yeah, the Service Manual shows it's an 8719 in the parts list...you have to dig through it to find it though!

Is that a good thing or bad thing (the 8719 PLL Chip)?

Am thinking about getting one of these radios.

Thanks.

The PLL chip is good, the build quality of the radios are bad. Poor solder joints plagued the radios. If the radio is being used as a base you'll be fine, but if you're going to use it mobile, I'd recommend you stay away from them, along with the Galaxy 949/959/979 radios. All of them along with the TR-966 use the same board and are mfg'ed at the same place.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
Thanks, Thirteen.
I don't care for the Galaxys and I don't hear good things about the current Cobra 148's, so what's a fella to do for a good SSB radio these days?

Last edited:
I've looked at several export radios, but not having my ham ticket I just prefer a standard CB. I thought I was gonna love the Connex 566 but it got a bad review on CB Radio Magazine. And the OEM report of the Uniden 980 by Bells CB on youtube is awful.
Not sure if any choices are left.

you don't have to use the optima mk3 in export mode,, you can move the internal jumper to cb mode and it will only have the normal 40 cb channels

you don't have to use the optima mk3 in export mode,, you can move the internal jumper to cb mode and it will only have the normal 40 cb channels

Camaro,
I was looking at that on the CB Radio Magazine review of the radio, but I'm not clear on what "moving the jumper" entails. Unsoldering and re-soldering?

Also, who sells the mk3?

no soldering needed,, there is a row of pins and you just pull the jumper off and move it to whatever mode you want. you can get them from yeticom or ebay has some sellers that get them in every few months,,,

no soldering needed,, there is a row of pins and you just pull the jumper off and move it to whatever mode you want. you can get them from yeticom or ebay has some sellers that get them in every few months,,,

Cool. I can manage that.

Thanks!

15 amps should do you fine for an Optima MkIII. If you have something in that area, you're good to run that radio. They draw about 8-10 amps under full load, since they are capable of doing 40-50W in SSB.

~Cheers~

(Edited in correct info)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.