• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 500v amp pull

Barely, but yes depending on how good the power supply is - I see 48A Cont / 52 Amp Peak output for that P/S.
75/80 amps would be better. You can always lower your input/output such that the P/S can handle the load.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and binrat
I wouldn't not try it. Or if you do, like tba02 said, keep the drive low. It's just best to get a power supply that allows you adequate headroom for whatever you are running. I wouldn't use any less then a 75-100 amp supply on a 4 transistor amp. Especially depending on mode of operation and whether you are long winded or not. Low amperage will cause excessive heat. And that is bad!!
Just get a proper power supply and don't burn the amp up. JMHO's. Good day.

The ONLY way would be if you dialed the power down to say 300-400 watts PEP. Remember that amp has two 30 amp fuses (60 amps total), wide open it can draw 50-55 amps easy.

Reactions: tba02
I would have to answer No, it will not. I run a Texas Star 500V on a 75 amp regulated power supply. It has a built in amp meter, and I also have two additional amp meters installed in the power lines. They all agree within 2 amps of the total reading.
I run the Texas Star at 14.0v ~ 14.5 v ..... Radio has a 4 watt am dead key into amp that will swing up to 18~20 watts PEP.
At these settings and operating parameters, the Texas Star 500V will consistently draw up to a maximum of 62 amps from the 75 amp power supply. General modulation will normally be drawing around 35 amps to 52 amps.
So, you would probably be operating a 50 amp power supply near or at max amperage, or exceeding much of the time.

I would have to answer No, it will not. I run a Texas Star 500V on a 75 amp regulated power supply. It has a built in amp meter, and I also have two additional amp meters installed in the power lines. They all agree within 2 amps of the total reading.
I run the Texas Star at 14.0v ~ 14.5 v ..... Radio has a 4 watt am dead key into amp that will swing up to 18~20 watts PEP.
At these settings and operating parameters, the Texas Star 500V will consistently draw up to a maximum of 62 amps from the 75 amp power supply. General modulation will normally be drawing around 35 amps to 52 amps.
So, you would probably be operating a 50 amp power supply near or at max amperage, or exceeding much of the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.