• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 500V fan retro fit?

fourstringburn,

i have never seen a commercial amp or psu that did not blow air through the amp or heatsink, or a cpu fan that sucked air through the cpu heatsink, they may exist,

negative pressure low density air on the heatsink or tube radiator is not the way to do it.
even computer cases should have more fan flowing in than out positive case pressure for better cooling & less dust buildup.

bear in mind that those dry wall screws block air flow in two of the channels under the fan.

Blowing the fan's cool air onto the fins is more effective. The turbulence in the exit air from your fan blades removes heat more effectively than the lower-velocity "suck" movement trying to draw hot air out of the heat sink.

Besides, you won't as likely overheat the fan motor drawing hot air over it if you use it to blast cool air onto the heat sink's fin surfaces.

Feel free to look it up.

bear in mind that those dry wall screws block air flow in two of the channels under the fan

Very little, there are plenty more fins to channel air through and since the air is mostly drawn out and away, it makes little difference.

This is just a way to securely mount a fan and those anchors happen to be a perfect fit rather then bare screws that mar and warp the fins. I suppose one could wrap a mini bungee cord or use a zip tie on the fan, but why?

I have personally done this and that pic on page 1 was my amp with a fan and it never once got even remotely hot.

I think some of you guys are over complicating a simple task that the OP wants to do, add a fan to an amp.

heatsinks up, fan blowing down onto the heatsink.

This is the way to do it. all other methods are inferior to varying degrees.

This is not something i made up, or learned from experience with linear amps.

This comes directly from top Siemens engineers to me regarding possible mounting locations for a planned upgrade of our VFDs (variable frequency drives).

These drives are life safety rated, and must adhere to the highest level of safety and efficiency protocols there are.

There are specific instructions for decreasing duty cycle of any of their drives that are not mounted in this manner.

If you guys don't trust Siemens, you might as well flip off the main breaker of your home and leave it that way.
LC

heatsinks up, fan blowing down onto the heatsink.

This is the way to do it. all other methods are inferior to varying degrees.

This is not something i made up, or learned from experience with linear amps.

This comes directly from top Siemens engineers to me regarding possible mounting locations for a planned upgrade of our VFDs (variable frequency drives).

These drives are life safety rated, and must adhere to the highest level of safety and efficiency protocols there are.

There are specific instructions for decreasing duty cycle of any of their drives that are not mounted in this manner.

If you guys don't trust Siemens, you might as well flip off the main breaker of your home and leave it that way.
LC
Interesting, I guess Dell, HP, and others do it wrong. I see the fan on top of the heatsink above the cpu with the fan up.

I guess they should turn breakers off.

My Tokyo High power HF amp has fan up too, maybe that's why they're out of business.

FSB, they do that mostly because they don't wand dust being blown into the unit.

It's less efficient with regards to heat dissipation, but it fulfills other design and cost requirements.

IOW- they don't do it that way because it's best; they do it because it's cheaper and will still work.
LC

Reactions: walterjn
When did DELL & HP start putting cpu fans on backwards,
does anybody have a timeline?

my Dell & HP home pc's & workstations, the pos old dell with no case or front panel im using now,
all my laptops & all my overclocking buddies pc's & all my video cards & old northbridge fans always had the fan blowing onto or through the sink or water cooling rad,

did they do a u-turn after years of doing it the right way?

FSB, they do that mostly because they don't wand dust being blown into the unit.

That's a good point and most likely correct.

While blowing the air directly on the HS is probably more efficient, the other way works too for these amps because I've ran it for years like so. It's also quick and easy requiring no spacers or other apparatus to get the fan above the HS. Also it keeps a lower profile.

I don't agree with putting a fan directly face down on top of these amps if you're implying that. I mentioned earlier I tried this before and it created more fan noise because the air flow was being smothered.

So really it comes down to quick and easy with fan up, or do some more rigging with spacers and longer screws to secure a fan face down.

Both ways will keep the HS from getting hot.

Reactions: Tallman
That's a good point and most likely correct.

While blowing the air directly on the HS is probably more efficient, the other way works too for these amps because I've ran it for years like so. It's also quick and easy requiring no spacers or other apparatus to get the fan above the HS. Also it keeps a lower profile.

I don't agree with putting a fan directly face down on top of these amps if you're implying that. I mentioned earlier I tried this before and it created more fan noise because the air flow was being smothered.

So really it comes down to quick and easy with fan up, or do some more rigging with spacers and longer screws to secure a fan face down.

Both ways will keep the HS from getting hot.
Truth. A fan mounted sucking air is better than no fan at all. The purpose of heatsink is to hopefully keep the Semiconductor junction at a temperature below failure.
There is a point with bipolar transistors that thermal runaway occurs and when that happens those junctions are ruined and shorts and open circuits are the result.
There are significant difference between the two methods. On one heatsink from Thermalloy the difference was 4 degrees Fahrenheit with the same exact power load.
Ambient air temperature was regulated during those test. Regulated laboratory grade power supplies and regulated A.C. power and all heat producing items were outside of the test area. (Humans too!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_transistor_biasing#Thermal_considerations

Just wondering anyone have any guidance on fitting cooling fans for this AMP? Size, location etc? cheers

This is a direct cooling fan kit for the Texas Star 500 .......I have ordered three of these for my Texas Star 500's. You may need to install the plug on the wiring harness, and install a socket on the back of the chassis. I also installed a thermal controlled switch for power. I mounted the thermal switch directly to the heat sink inside the chassis.

https://www.rfparts.com/radioamp-service/texas/texas-switchtog/texswitch-therm.html
texswitch-th-1.jpg

https://www.copper.com/cart/CW-Amps/Amps/Texas-Star-Heat-Sink-Fan
W90-00352-500x500.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.