• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX 500V

PAPA

Feb 20, 2010
Montans
Anyone know what a Texas Star DX 500V ACTUALLY draws?

I am looking at an Ameritron ALS-500 that has 4-2879s and Ameritron says it draws up to 80 amps?

I am using a Texas Star DX 350HDV and it draws almost near 45 amps when I hit it with my TS-2000 at 45 watts.

Anyone know what a Texas Star DX 500V ACTUALLY draws?

I am looking at an Ameritron ALS-500 that has 4-2879s and Ameritron says it draws up to 80 amps?

I am using a Texas Star DX 350HDV and it draws almost near 45 amps when I hit it with my TS-2000 at 45 watts.
I bet it does.lol

If the Ameritron is in your price range I wouldn't even consider the TS.

But anyway the TS will have the same +- as the Ameritron.

I'll check CBTRICKS but the stock reading says 45 amps which seems low to me for the 500V????????????????????
well if you drive only to 500 watts then yes 45 amps is normal but if you drive it to the same output of the Ameritron then you'll see 75 to 80 amps .

Mine sucks almost 65 to 70 amps at 500 watts on ssb. thats driving it with a tuned uniden grant xl. am it draws 45 to 50 amps. its a amp hog no dought but i do get good reports with it. best cb amp i got for the money.

This is a great performing amplifier. You can change the pos and neg power wires to a bigger gage and lose the blade fuse and go to glass . Should give more and will give the 667 (1 x 4) a run for it's money running much smoother then the 667. 2879s = Amp Hogs
P-A-B is right and Toll_Free can spell it out for you..........
It's very simple.

20 amps per 2879.

Your better bet would be a Texas Star 500 though. With the additional drive you have available, you will have more than enough to drive the 500 to more power than the 667 will do... And your amplifier will pull less overall current since you don' have that lossy 2290 driver circuit in there.

A Texas Star 500 properly setup (ie, remove that crap they call power wire, install inline atu fuses, etc... get full voltage to the transistors) should do > 600 watts PEP. At 13.8-14.4. and a 60 amp supply would work, but if you ran it balls to the wall all the time, you might tax your supply quicker.

If you ran it 150 or so watts carrier, a 50 amp supply would be more than enough to run a 500, as long as it was a GOOD, QUALITY supply that could supply a decent amount of peak current (read this as has a decent amount of C in the filter).

--Toll_Free

Last edited:
TS Dx 500v low output?

Hey all !! I am running a Texas Star Dx 500V and driving it with my RCI 2950.The radio DKs 2 watts and swings to 20. My swrs with the amp on are 1.2-1. Heres the deal ,i am only seeing 300 pep. i am using a Pyramid PS52 with a run of about 2 ft of #6 wire. Voltage at about 14.2 and it shows a draw of 38 amps. This is a new amp and supply,so it's got me baffled.Any ideas???????

I just purchased a TS500. It has no blade fuse and good quality 10ga wire. I dought if changing the wire would make a difference since your only dealing with 6 inches of wire.

they have since made the 500s better doing away with the blade fuse and using glass fuses and holders into the chassies. It wasn't always like that so tooshay to Texas Star for bettering things. Hmmmm

I do not like the fuse holder`s used in the 500V, on mine, both fuse`s are removed and 6 gauge fine stranded wire is attached inside the Amp......I have seen several of these fuse holder`s get hot and fail....there is another post here somewhere just in the last few days about a 350 that the fuse holder overheated and failed. It is a weak point in them.
I really like the T/S 500, it is a great Amp...Just need to bypass the fuses and put the fuse at the battery.
I use a 2 position AGU Fuse Block with a 80 Amp Fuse right at the battery, never had a problem.

Jeff

Well Jeff . maybe that's what Toll free was trying to say ? Wow ! Doubt I would ever run a 500 with more then 20 watts pep to begin with , so hopefully a guy like me wouldn't have the trouble of fuses/holders failing on me. Sounds like you have yours under control.

I often wonder with these amps if it's more a over driven situation then not ? It's like SSB on those amps , a lot of guys think there getting ripped off from power becuase they have to use the SSB relay switch , and that's far from the truth as I understand it. It's the way they were design for reasons.

DX500

You can push these up to 700w if you want and have a big enough supply.
They will shut down a 50A supply in a heart beat with 500w PEP on SSB.
The need lots of Amps. Start with 80 and you won't go wrong.
Once again a big fan. Easily the best bang for bucks in an amp these days.
Don't get the V model and if you do don't use it to control the amp. Wind down the drive.

Reactions: KC9RLK and Roadhog
If it has the black fuse holders in the back, it is a good idea to bypass them, and fuse the power leads at the Battery.
If you think about how the fuse holders are made, there is a small spring that pushes against the fuse to hold it tight in the fuse holder.
This wire spring also has to carry the current that goes through the fuse, under a heavy load these start to heat up, as they heat they start to loose the temper in the spring....so now it is starting to have lousy contact, and makes more heat, causing the spring to get softer.........and soon it will fail.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated